Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 7:09 am

I have crying meltdowns even while completely and utterly alone in my own apartment. Nobody to "manipulate".....

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 7:13 am

animalcrackers wrote:
Inability to process things and being overloaded can cause or involve emotions like anger and fear -- they are protective emotions, a huge part of fight or flight or freeze response that is involved in meltdowns.

Different people feel different emotions in response to stressful and overwhelming situations, just as people differ in terms of how stress comes out when it has gotten too big for them to manage (some people laugh, some people cry, some people scream and hit things).

I personally think neither fear nor anger nor any other emotion is automatically linked to any particular intention.

Yes, thank you for this, this describes me better than I can. The anger and emotion in my meltdowns is a direct and instant outcome of my overloadedness. And my crying is out of the distress of feeling so badly. And for me, a lot of this is happening even without the benefit of an audience to provoke any reaction from, so I kind of resent the suggestion someone else made that crying is always manipulative. Even WITH someone to see it, no, it's not always, but instead a genuine loss of control of the overloaded and distressed person.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 7:31 am

If I had to pick a predominant emotion to associate with meltdowns it would be confusion. The more I think about it, the more I think anger is much more controlling and manipulative than crying, at least in adults. Though perhaps the opposite for children.

Animalcrackers said it well, I agree that no emotion is automatically linked to intention, if that were the case, life would be easier and much less complicated!!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 9:08 am

But, Waterfalls, again what about anger expressed alone in a room? I can feel anger as part of certain of my meltdowns without there being another human there at all to "manipulate."

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding even among aspies about the things others are feeling -- and any intention behind them -- while undergoing their respective experiences.

Some of you seem to be quite convinced that any element of anger or crying is always going to be an act of manipulation or control over the witness to same, and I can tell you from my perspective alone that is simply not always true, and it's a rather shaming misunderstanding.

Everyone is different, and an expression or emotion you personally do not experience and don't understand someone else having doesn't always mean what you've decided it must mean.

If you don't experience that particular kind of meltdown, or should I say, some of the elements within it, you are not the best person to interpret it or accurately assign the psychological place it's coming from, figuratively.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 9:42 am

For me too, the predominant emotion I feel in a meltdown is confusion. That is absolutely it for me.

Wreck It Ralph

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

I think for me... I have a hard time dealing with the emotions I feel. They start to build up inside, causing a huge amount of anxiety and emotional overload for me. It's not always about the toy (an example lol) I want. It's usually about the fact that I'm super angry and frustrated with the fact that I was told no. Since I don't express myself the same way a normal person does, it comes it as what I consider being an infantile meltdown. Basically, a meltdown that is very child-like and tantrumy almost. I do notice that once the feelings are either resolved, or my parents give in that I tend to calm myself down.

However, my meltdowns usually get really severe. If I have a meltdown, I end up crying so hard that I can hardly breathe. My mom says that when I do this, I rock myself vigorously back and forth. I think, as I said before, it's a release of anger and frustration over trying to get what I want at that moment. I don't think about the object of interest at all, but I believe it's related to the emotions I feel and can't control when someone says no to me. I am just a teensy bit spoiled too, so I think that makes it harder to really understand the word no.

It's like... telling a little child no and having them go ballistic because they don't like the word.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:40 am

btbnnyr wrote:
I would say that in general, anger outbursts are more likely meltdowns and crying outbursts are more likely tantrums.
Maybe in general but absolutely not true at all in my case.

Wreck It Ralph

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 8:42 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
But, Waterfalls, again what about anger expressed alone in a room? I can feel anger as part of certain of my meltdowns without there being another human there at all to "manipulate."

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding even among aspies about the things others are feeling -- and any intention behind them -- while undergoing their respective experiences.

Some of you seem to be quite convinced that any element of anger or crying is always going to be an act of manipulation or control over the witness to same, and I can tell you from my perspective alone that is simply not always true, and it's a rather shaming misunderstanding.

Everyone is different, and an expression or emotion you personally do not experience and don't understand someone else having doesn't always mean what you've decided it must mean.

If you don't experience that particular kind of meltdown, or should I say, some of the elements within it, you are not the best person to interpret it or accurately assign the psychological place it's coming from, figuratively.

I was trying to sort through how to make sense of what Btbnnyr said because I respect her. And it was hard to understand why she said what she said. I don't believe one can identify what is a meltdown from one emotion nor that other people changing their behavior indicates something is or isn't a meltdown, I think human beings are more complicated than that. I'm sorry it seemed like I was judging, I was just confused sorting through how to understand her perspective. I still don't understand it, but I think maybe that's because my perspective is different?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:17 pm

Basically, there is no specific definition of meltdown in autism, and each person chooses their own, so people think crying in a room for hours is a meltdown, others think being confused is a meltdown, others think an anger outburst is a meltdown. As with stimming, people classify whatever they want as meltdowns. I speak in general that I think crying outbursts are less likely to be meltdowns in the sense of sudden emotional dysregulation in autism than an angry aggressive possibly violent outburst involving hitting people and throwing things. A meltdown is ackshuly not a complicated emotional thing, it just goes off from a trigger. There is no how long it lasts showing that it is meltdown or not. It could last in hours of destruction or just take a few minutes. I would even say that the person having the meltdown is not aware of what they are doing or saying. It is not like someone feeling negative emotions and eggspressing them. It is like a totally different state of mind completely outside the norm and hard to understand when one is in the norm, like why the F did I do that or say that, what the F could have caused that behavior, there is no Fing way the normal me could engage in that.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 11:40 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
A meltdown is ackshuly not a complicated emotional thing, it just goes off from a trigger. There is no how long it lasts showing that it is meltdown or not. It could last in hours of destruction or just take a few minutes. I would even say that the person having the meltdown is not aware of what they are doing or saying. It is not like someone feeling negative emotions and eggspressing them. It is like a totally different state of mind completely outside the norm and hard to understand when one is in the norm, like why the F did I do that or say that, what the F could have caused that behavior, there is no Fing way the normal me could engage in that.

Been there. Done that. Thankfully, not often.

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2014, 2:04 am

LokiofSassgard wrote:
It makes me wonder... is this still considered a meltdown, or would you consider it as a tantrum of sorts?

A meltdown is something that can happen to an adult over legitimate issues that may arise in their day-to-day lives. A tantrum is a hissy fit a spoiled child throws when not getting things his way. One is a serious thing, the other unbecoming in anyone who isn't a physical or mental toddler. There's a clear distinction there.