Was any mild Aspies here like Carl from ''Arthur'' as a kid?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 11:42 am

I know this topic has been discussed before but I was watching the episode of Arthur where George meets Carl, and Carl is supposed to have Asperger's Syndrome, but I'd say the character seems more like a moderate to severe Autistic type.

As a child I was not like Carl one little bit. I made normal eye contact, I did not have a special interest until I was 11 (and even then I did not talk about it like Carl does in the episode), I didn't have meltdowns like that, I was very verbal and could express my feelings, and I didn't have a monotone voice, and I had a lot of imagination.

I would say I was very, very similar to DW, from about the ages of 4-12). She actually reminds me of how I was as a child. Was anyone else here with milder cases of Autism/Asperger's more like DW or Carl or nobody from Arthur?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 3:46 pm

i was kinda like him but my voice wasn't monotoned and i was MUCH more hyper and i was way more inappropriate and instead of trains it was Ghosts.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 3:52 pm

I would have to see the show again to refresh my memory. I was never afraid of objects or talked in a monotone. I did see the kite episode and he says to Francine and her friends they are too loud and he was covering his ears. I was just like that and still am to an extent. I was bossy as a child and wanted things my way so Carl was the same way about his kite like I was about my dollhouse. I think it was the same character. I forgot what Carl looked like and I thought is name was George. I got the names mixed up obviously. But I am a different person now than I was when I was a kid. I was a bit blunt as a child and that could be why kids thought I was mean and rude.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 5:24 pm

I was a nerdy kid so I did talk too much about my special interests like him. I was scared of dogs like he was scared of the mannequin. I was never interested in trains and I don't think I ever had rocking meltdowns like him.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 5:26 pm

When I was a little girl I did not know the meaning of the word shy, was not afraid of new people or places or things. I was very curious and outgoing and talkative. Although I did have some unusual anxieties or fears that I of course could not explain at that age, or if I tried to people either laughed or were bewildered. Also I nearly always preferred playing alone to with other kids. I had a best friend who simply could not understand this, why I would rather draw or read comics or play with my toys than with her, and she'd feel rejected. And when we did play together she was often very bossy and wanted to be in charge of everything we did. I did not quite understand the "rules" of friendship, although I got along and had friends as a child, which for my best friend seemed to be that the complainer (me) is always wrong, like in some stupid 80's cartoons. She also made fun of my weight a lot and when I look back I can't figure out why we were ever "best friends", that must have been her decision mostly although we fought a lot and she'd be like "I'm not your friend no more!". I think now one of my cousins, who was a boy, was my true best friend. We had a lot of the same interests like cartoons and comics and video games. He was one of the few kids I still got along with even when we became teens.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 5:43 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I was a nerdy kid so I did talk too much about my special interests like him. I was scared of dogs like he was scared of the mannequin. I was never interested in trains and I don't think I ever had rocking meltdowns like him.

I used to be scared of dogs only because we had a neighbor who had a mean Poodle so it made me think all dogs were mean and bite people. I remember a dog came up to me and knocked me on the ground and started licking me an the dog was panting and licking me and my friend just stood there and did nothing to shoo him away. Perhaps she didn't understand why I was so scared and I couldn't get up and run because I was so frightened. I was five when it happened.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:03 am

I was afraid of dogs too as a child, because I thought that every dog I saw would bark loudly, and I hated loud sudden noises, especially dogs barking. But I never reacted like Carl. I sometimes cried, or cling to my mum or dad. If one barked near me, I'd jump and put my fingers in my ears and sometimes cry, or just say ''can we go now??'' I just reacted like most kids do when something spooks them, really.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:44 am

I?ve never watched that show, so I had to look it up on YouTube. Here?s a link for those who haven?t seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsmjwHW40ps
No, I?ve never been like that.

To focus on the contents of the episode in order: I would?ve gotten that the question was about the drawing, and not gone on a monologue about lions. I probably wouldn?t have been too impressed, so I might have just said something like ?it?s a lion?, because I?ve never been one to applaud something I don?t think is well done, and I wouldn?t wish to say that it sucked. I would have understood what he wanted to hear just fine, but if I didn?t think so, I? be reluctant to say so at that age, at most nod noncommittally. I didn't speak that monotonously.

I might have said what he said at first when he was doing the puzzle (except I would never be doing a puzzle at all), but I would not have gone on to talk about it to a child I didn?t know like he did. And I certainly hadn?t talked about how I was gonna drink my apple juice. And I?ve never been very bad at getting figures of speech, like ?hang out?. In upper elementary school I would even have understood it in English, which is my second language.
I also probably wouldn?t look at him at the first meeting, at least not more than fleetingly, because I would take no interest in him and want to continue with my activity.
I might also have just ignored him , hoping he?d leave.

Upon meeting him again and asked if I remembered him, I?d just have said yeah, and I would not have commented on him wearing backpack and it being my favorite color, even if it was. And I?m not afraid of dolls lol.
I have never reacted like he did to any situation. I have never had a meltdown and I?ve never been someone to rock. He seems very low functioning to me.

I also found it strange that when they were supposedly hanging out, they were really doing parallel playing, like children do when they?re small. I wasn?t like that in elementary school, which is the age I suppose these are meant to be. I tried to be with, even though a lot of the time I didn?t know what to say. It didn?t seem like he wanted to hang out with the elk at all. I?m pretty sure my demeanor could come off as rejecting as his does, regardless of how I felt about them, but when I hung out with someone we played together.

From some of the comments here I gather that he is sound sensitive, which I've never been.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765