Most awesome live concert experience?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 5:03 pm

Don't know if this topic has been done before but here's mine:
Many years ago, 'The Angels' came to my town for a concert. This was a monumental event because I lived in a small town and to have a band I love so much (and was so popular at the time) come and play in my area was unheard of.
If you've never heard of them, The Angels are an Australian heavy rock band perhaps most famous for the song, "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again?"
They were awesome in themselves, but during the concert the lead guitarist did something with his guitar that made it sound like it was speaking - almost demonically. It was the coolest, most metal thing I've ever heard and I've never heard anything like it since.
I also remember my ears ringing for days afterward - they were so loud in that tiny town hall.

Last edited by Raleigh on 07 Oct 2014, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

Probably the concert by some new band that I had kinda sorta heard about back in college and missed seeing even though seats were just $8 at a small 200-seat venue.

Oh yeah, the band was The Police. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 7:04 pm

I've seen Metallica twice, and loved it. The top performance I have to give to Korn, though. :D

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 8:00 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Many years ago, 'The Angels' came to my town for a concert. This was a monumental event because I lived in a small town and to have a band I love so much (and was so popular at the time) come and play in my area was almost unheard of.
If you've never heard of them, The Angels are an Australian heavy rock band perhaps most famous for the song, "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again?"
They were awesome in themselves, but during the concert the lead guitarist did something with his guitar that made it sound like it was speaking - almost demonically. It was the coolest, most metal thing I've ever heard and I've never heard anything like it since.
I also remember my ears ringing for days afterward - they were so loud in that tiny town hall.

Back in the early eighties in a field full of cow pads somewhere in West Flanders made eye contact with Jim Kerr from Simple Minds during what was then Torhout-Werchter. Was such a mindblowing experience I forgot to push the button on my camera. Well, I did but a split second too late. As he turned his gaze I was awaken from my awe.

jwfess
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2014, 11:17 pm

I ate a pot brownie and saw Wagner's Parsifal.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 1:11 am

Raleigh wrote:
Many years ago, 'The Angels' came to my town for a concert. This was a monumental event because I lived in a small town and to have a band I love so much (and was so popular at the time) come and play in my area was almost unheard of.

Good band. From memory their guitarist died of cancer only last year.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Oct 2014, 2:58 am

The Beatles, September 8, 1965, Montreal, Canada, Row J at the old Montreal Forum (more or less on the blue line). George looked at me. I still have he ticket stubs. Paul is so stunning on stage that I couldn't take my eyes off him even though I wanted to look at my favourite Beatle, John.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

progaspie wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Good band. From memory their guitarist died of cancer only last year.

The lead singer, Doc Neeson, died from a brain tumour in June this year. He was a brilliant songwriter, his energy on stage incredible. One of those rare performers who give away every last atom of themselves.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 9:14 pm

I saw Portishead a few years back close a festival. It was the most intense focused performance I've seen. I always loved the band growing up and thought I'd never see them live.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 7:08 pm

B-52's at Forest Hills, NY 1983, Eurythmics opened.

B-52' got "painfully shy" me dancing wildly.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 10:17 pm

Wintersun December 9, 2012 @ Station 4, MN

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm

The best concert I ever went to see was when me and my brother took a bus up to Seattle in '82 to see AC/DC. Angus Young played a guitar solo that brought the house down, when he finished it he mooned the audience. :D

My second runner up would be the outdoor concert I went to at a college football stadium. It was 104 degrees that day and we saw Blue Oyster Cult, Loverboy, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts and Foreigner.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 8:00 pm

1.) Nik Turner (Hawkwind) at Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte, NC in 1995. Even though the show was a catastrophe due to Del Dettmars' keyboards getting smashed up in transit, and Simon House (who was supposed to join up with the band the night that I saw them) being denied entry into the US due to a Drug Bust when he was with David Bowie in the 1970's it was still a really intense show.

2.) Legendary Pink Dots @ Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte, NC, in 1997. Incredibly intense show, with Ed Caspell singing without his ever present sunglasses. His big pickled egg eyes, and facial expressions mimiced thouse of the Heaven's Gate leader, and led me to believe that he was on something. -- Even though I don't use drugs, I was seeing things a few days after this show. --I saw them again in late 1998 at the same venue, and they were nowhere near as as good as they were the first time around.