i don't fear them. 19%  19%  [ 9 ]
i like them or i am a cop myself 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
i'd rather just have me a yummy ice cream! :) 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 48

Ghonx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2014, 6:04 am

police make me uneasy in general, but I do fear work management (Bosses etc.) more. There's me thinking that it was just me.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 9:27 am

I find myself in the tiny minority on this one! :o I like police and soldiers instinctively. I think I see them as defenders of the rest of us. The military was my life's career. I think the police actually have the toughest job in the world day to day and have a lot of admiration and respect for them. Its only that difficult for the military during an actual war.

I had run ins with them when young. I was a bit wild in a prankish sort of way, or when I wanted to persue some personal interest or activity. But I always was respectful (when they caught me :lol:) and never had a bad experience then or since with them.

I know there are bad ones, and bad cultures that can develop in certain groups. But I do not believe that it is true of all by far.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:22 am

^ that is a good point Toy_Soldier. Am in middle ground here, for while I distrust authority in general, I can't feel it is logical to demonize an individual. I am glad there is order and boundaries set for society. I understand what AuntBlabby is saying too. There is a young sheriff among my distant relations, and as far as I can tell, he is a helpful and brave person, and a dedicated family man. So I guess I can't help looking at different sides of an issue, especially contentious ones.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 1:07 pm

I guess it is a geographical thing? some places it is 90% bad and 10% good, and other places vice-versa?

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 4:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I guess it is a geographical thing? some places it is 90% bad and 10% good, and other places vice-versa?

I don't know really. I have lived or been based, north, south, east and west in the USA and they pretty much seemed the same all over. I would guess one friction point is demographic based, like when the police is mostly one group, and the policed another. That's always a recipe for problems. The military runs into the same problem in nearly every peace operation, police action, etc.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 5:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it is just that for the most part, my relating with cops is mostly them dicking around with me.

I think men generally get dicked around by cops more than women. Women get just generally get dicked around.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:44 pm

I know if one drives an old beater car, it seems to attract their ire. also if one is a pedestrian and of color or dressed raggedly.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 8:28 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I used to have an irrational fear of police/authority figures. I even avoided international travel because of it. Not only did my first dealings with Customs go extremely well (she was literally one of the sweetest, kindest girls I have ever met!) but my first major encounter with the police ERT gave me a new respect for them as well. To make a long story short, they believed my every word much to my relief as if they didn't I would have likely been arrested otherwise (a neighbour rightfully called because of my then GF was screaming out of control). They were also extremely respectful and polite and even thought they legally had the right to break down my door they politely explained that they needed to enter and search. I have also been to court (for University) and was impressed by how friendly and professional everyone was and it was nothing like I expected. Even the airport security is nothing short of excellent where I live and have a very pleasant and professional demeanor that's only gotten better over the years, no doubt due to the lack of jobs for young people around here.

I suspect that police, customs, etc are so used to people lying/misleading them and are so well trained to spot it that it's a relief to deal with someone who is both honest and sees them as a human being first. I remember being in a limo once and the driver said "it's so refreshing to deal with you. I'm used to dealing with phony people all day long and it's great I can be myself." I never had good experience with authority growing up (the teachers turned a blind eye and when they didn't it was to blame me) but as an adult I have had zero issues. Let's hope that trend continues....

That's great! I absolutely see what you're talking about but I have to say this depends a lot on the area and the particular police department you are dealing with. I have had very mixed experiences, particularly because I've spent time in Oakland, California and I've seen the other side of law enforcement with good folks up north in Redding, California and lots of good folks in Utah.

Also, I have some family members, mostly cousins, who are currently serving or retired police officers and a number of them even agree with me about cannabis legalization, search and seizure, ridiculous parking fines in San Francisco, and various other issues where they have to just do their job grudgingly. Some parts of the job just suck like that but these folks do a whole lot else for us and things would be a royal mess without them.