i like them or i am a cop myself 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
i'd rather just have me a yummy ice cream! :) 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 48

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:12 pm

neobluex wrote:
I've talked to a cop once, because I was lost. Everything went well. I don't fear cops. I haven't broken the law.

you are fortunate the cop didn't immediately dislike you. most cops I have had to deal with, were palpably disturbed by me. being law-abiding does not protect one from such cops. it's like no matter what I do I seem to bug them somehow.

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:
neobluex wrote:
I've talked to a cop once, because I was lost. Everything went well. I don't fear cops. I haven't broken the law.

you are fortunate the cop didn't immediately dislike you. most cops I have had to deal with, were palpably disturbed by me. being law-abiding does not protect one from such cops. it's like no matter what I do I seem to bug them somehow.

It was 10 years ago. I probably didn't notice if I disliked the cop.

I know that I have to do what police says even if they are having an emotional outburst or a "despotism attack". I believe it's safer that way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:30 pm

neobluex wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
neobluex wrote:

It was 10 years ago. I probably didn't notice if I disliked the cop.

I know that I have to do what police says even if they are having an emotional outburst or a "despotism attack". I believe it's safer that way.

no matter what I do, I find they are not generally helpful to me and seem to be on a "fishing expedition" in my presence.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:49 pm

I have fears of people who have authority over me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 10:52 pm

I fear people who ACT authoritarian towards me or people I love.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 10:37 am

I don't know if I "fear" authority figures, but I certainly am becoming very suspicious of them, given the number of cases, recently, of law enforcement officials abusing their power. I'm beginning to think anarchism might be an ideology worth investigating further.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 10:39 am

don't trust them any further than you could throw a piano.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 11:36 am

"Fear" may be putting it too strongly, but I don't trust authoritarian figures. If you give people power over other people, most of them will be happy to abuse it if given permission to. That is a fact of human life.

I can't go into details out of respect for my brother's privacy, but this was brought strongly home to me when five policemen showed up at our house one night. Five of them. They looked intimidating and while they weren't rude exactly, weren't friendly either. They turned my brother's room inside out and confiscated his PC (and would not tell my parents why they were doing this). All charges against my brother were dropped; there was no question of him going to court, there was nothing to charge him with! But it was still 9 months (I think) before he got his PC back. The entire episode was a ridiculous overreaction; you think the police would have enough real criminals on their hands to catch.

It genuinely was a small taster of what living in a totalitarian state would be like. It shook us all up for a while.

But to be fair, I did speak to a lovely police woman this summer. The reason why she was called out in the first place is highly embarrassing >_>. (I was having a massive meltdown; my dad called the police.) Couldn't fault her at all; she listened, was empathetic, gave me her card to call her any time I liked. So I don't think all police are bad by any means. But it's a bad idea to give any group of people too much power.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 11:55 am

I used to have an irrational fear of police/authority figures. I even avoided international travel because of it. Not only did my first dealings with Customs go extremely well (she was literally one of the sweetest, kindest girls I have ever met!) but my first major encounter with the police ERT gave me a new respect for them as well. To make a long story short, they believed my every word much to my relief as if they didn't I would have likely been arrested otherwise (a neighbour rightfully called because of my then GF was screaming out of control). They were also extremely respectful and polite and even thought they legally had the right to break down my door they politely explained that they needed to enter and search. I have also been to court (for University) and was impressed by how friendly and professional everyone was and it was nothing like I expected. Even the airport security is nothing short of excellent where I live and have a very pleasant and professional demeanor that's only gotten better over the years, no doubt due to the lack of jobs for young people around here.

I suspect that police, customs, etc are so used to people lying/misleading them and are so well trained to spot it that it's a relief to deal with someone who is both honest and sees them as a human being first. I remember being in a limo once and the driver said "it's so refreshing to deal with you. I'm used to dealing with phony people all day long and it's great I can be myself." I never had good experience with authority growing up (the teachers turned a blind eye and when they didn't it was to blame me) but as an adult I have had zero issues. Let's hope that trend continues....

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 12:03 pm

I prefer the icecream, - meaning, that I WAS very frightened of authority figures, but now I respect, that they have to show authority in situations, they are supposed to do something about, - but if they play up just to flash their authority, they have my contempt!

Once I applied for a job and I met the boss and an employee.
The boss played up, and I couldn´t help, but show my contempt, - in a humerous way. She was ridiculous. The more "powerful" she became, the funnier I got. (I couldn´t believe myself).
The emloyee enjoyed it.
Later, when I met her, she smiled and winked at me :lol:

Last edited by Jensen on 07 Oct 2014, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 12:29 pm

Basically most adult authority figures. Older kids. Also on forums the mods and admin, but have gotten more comfortable with them.

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm

No fear for them, but I am wary of them. No smart man is 100% comfortable around cops.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 1:27 pm

I used to fear them. I still somewhat fear them, even now. I'm not entirely sure why though. It could be that I just fear getting caught up with them somehow, and they won't understand my special needs. D: Long story short: I had a meltdown when a cop came to our house for some stupid thing (This guy who cleaned our rugs at our old house did a piss poor job and called the cops because we refused to pay him for the horrible job he did). Well, I had one of my severe meltdowns/panic attacks. The cop saw this and actually asked if I was okay. My mom said I was, and I can't remember if she told him I was autistic or not. But yeah...

Also, like EzraS said, I have a fears of mods/admins. The reason is because I've had several bad experiences with them. This was only because it was my first time being on forums, and I didn't know any better. I got into a butt load of trouble and got banned several times by them.I get a bit weary every time they catch me doing something wrong or even just them talking to me. The mods at the pokemon forum I go on have actually been very nice to me, and that's better than nothing. XD

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:12 pm

one cop acquaintance of mine, speaking behind my back to somebody else, told her I made him very uncomfortable.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:16 pm

No authority ever helped me. I was telling teachers I am being bullied at school and they were not believing me and when I was standing for myself I was getting into trouble because teachers were believing the bullies. So no. I don't trust cops or any people like that. They will not believe me if someone hurt me and they will punish me for no reason. Better to avoid them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:18 pm

^^^
yes, that is the big reason why I'm a hermit. avoidance of trouble from people who like to lord it over folks like myself.