Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:30 am

I like it, but not so much candy and what not I actually like what it represents, like going back historically....like the pagan roots, though I certainly find costumes, doing stuff with friends and like halloween parties fun as well. I don't really find 'scary' movies all that scary so never have missed out on that, though I think there are better things to do on Halloween than sit around and watch movies. I don't really think having autism really effects it, per say.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:35 am

skibum wrote:
I love the pilot, that is a great idea, nice and warm and very cute. Here in the US a lot of people who practice Christian based religions don't want their children seeing Halloween in the spooky sense. So they make it more like a festival of harvest since a lot of crops are harvested near this time. So the kids get to get candy and dress up and participate in fun activities like the other kids but rather than making it spooky they wear cute costumes and make the theme more based on Christian principles. It's good because the kids don't feel left out and they can celebrate it in a way that honors their beliefs.

Except then there are all the kids that don't care so much for the religious beliefs they are expected to have....I am glad my mom never tried to force 'christian themed' Halloween on me. I mean I would have been disappointed about when of my favorite aspects of Halloween being removed from the picture aka spookiness(like the best part). But admit I do like the idea of it potentially still allowing kids to have fun that night who otherwise might not be allowed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:37 am

little_blue_jay wrote:
dianthus wrote:
there are very dark occult ritual ceremonies taking places on these dates.

Where?! I wasn't invited :( :wink:

me neither....lol

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:40 am

Kiriae wrote:
skibum wrote:
I love the pilot, that is a great idea, nice and warm and very cute. Here in the US a lot of people who practice Christian based religions don't want their children seeing Halloween in the spooky sense.

That might be the reason why Halloween was never popular in Poland - it is a Christian country. Well, not officially but since about 90% of people here are Christian and government relies a lot about what Church thinks it is just as if it was really a religion country.
Right after Halloween we have the All Saints' Day free of work which is very sad holiday - everyone visits graves and mourns for the dead(I hate doing it! But my parents force me to.). A lot of people think that celebrating Halloween and having fun is disrespecting because it is too close to the sad All Saints' Day.

Well the fun associated with Halloween is not meant as disrespect towards the dead, quite the opposite from my understanding.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 3:24 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well the fun associated with Halloween is not meant as disrespect towards the dead, quite the opposite from my understanding.

Tell it to Polish authorities. We are a nation of mourners. Guess how our Independence Day looks like! Nah, no fireworks. We visit graves again, just graves of "unknown dead soldiers", not family members. And TV is full of documentaries about wars, stating how many people died for our country. :roll:
Having fun is apparently not allowed.

Last edited by Kiriae on 08 Oct 2014, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 3:28 pm

I love Halloween. I enjoy decorating for the holiday, and like to help carve pumpkins; I once designed a cat face for a pumpkin, and it turned out great. I haven't been trick-or-treating since I was 14, and we don't often get trick-or-treaters where I live, but I do love to go to an occasional costume party. My favorite part of it, though, is going to haunted houses and hayrides; I often find these fun and exciting.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

Kiriae wrote:
Its was never popular in my country. It was almost unknown when I was a kid.

Same here. I never even heard of it until junior high (early 1990's). The last 10 years or so it's been more well known here, and there will usually be a few trick or treat'ers on the door, which I can do without. We never give out candy.
Occasionally but not usually there have been horror movies marathon on Halloween, which I really enjoy immensely. Horror is my favorite genre, so I hope there will be this year, but chances are low.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 5:06 pm

Kiriae wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Tell it to Polish authorities. We are a nation of mourners. Guess how our Independence Day looks like! Nah, no fireworks. We visit graves again, just graves of "unknown dead soldiers", not family members. And TV is full of documentaries about wars, stating how many people died for our country. :roll:

Hmm, sounds rather depressing....I don't think I want to live in poland, not that I go all out to be excessively happy on holidays or days of any significance but nice to have some fun. Then again its not like the authorities over here don't do what they can to try to ruin peoples fun.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 5:55 pm

Halloween isn't really done here in Oz.

Well, in the short time I lived in the suburbs and the majority in woop woop, I haven't seen it.

No idea now about the suburbs though.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 6:28 pm

Quote:
skibum, I wanna know where that campground is. It sounds like sooooo much FUN!! !

I LOVE EVERYTHING about Halloween!! ! It's the start of a really long "life high" for me. First Halloween, then my birthday, then Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, The Oscars, then the Superbowl!! ! I'm extemely ecstatic for, like, 4 months!! ! I love cooking, so, I love decorating, I love eating----everything!! !

I DO watch scary movies. Also, I have a DVD of all the Halloween episodes that Roseanne Barr did on her TV show, that I watch every Halloween!!

I once won a costume contest, as an adult. I was dressed like Cher. I won a 100 dollars!! !

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 6:43 pm

I don't like Halloween anymore, as the past 2 have been stressful. In 2012 I was sick with serotonin syndrome but didn't go to the hospital (like the idiot I was, went the next day though) and last year my dad went to the hospital because he was having some atrial fibrillation issues.

I'm hoping this year is better, I just have to think back on the Halloween years that were good, mainly when I was a child, even though some of the memories are hazy to me now.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2014, 9:35 pm

I live in France, so Halloween is not celebrated here like it is in the USA. Here it's mostly some bars and nightclubs where adults go out and dress up.
Something I liked when living in LA was Halloween, but as an Aspie I really didn't like being bothered when kids came and knocked at my door...
One thing about Halloween (more for adults), it's the only time during the year where women can dress like total sl#ts and not getting arrested for it 8) like sexy catwoman costumes.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:05 pm

OMG I LOVE HALLOWEEN!! What other day of the year *besides attending conventions* do you get to cosplay?! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf74i_pkhx0[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:13 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I also have the problem where I hate being scared. I want to be able to watch horror films with my friends or go to haunted corn mazes, but I know I'll regret it as soon as I do, so I'm always torn between missing out and staying sane, or joining in and not sleeping again until December, (I made the mistake of watching The Shining with my friend last Halloween. Not happening again!)

The Shining... oh, how I could sit beneath the glory of that very disturbing and nonsensical movie. There are few movies that rely on such subtle details. I don't find it scary. It was not intended to be a horror movie. What is disturbing about it is the intense subliminal messages designed to haunt your subconscious.

Also, interestingly enough, I have heard that Stanely Kubrick (the director of the Shining) was an aspie. Every single prop was spec

Did you know that the floorplans of the hotel in the movie are nonsensical. The kid riding his tricycle rides it from the first floor to the second floor. Watch all the props in the scene, because every single time the camera shifts, the props may disappear, reappear or be replaced by something new.
I think I'll stop writing, unless you want another 10,000 words on the topic

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:14 pm

Up until this year, I have gone out trick or treating. I kind of feel withdrawn from not going this year because I've gone my whole life. I am going to pass out candy and possibly watch my favorite kiddie halloween movies. XD I'm not very big on the horror stuff because of the horrible nightmares I get. ._.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
What are your thoughts on Halloween? Do any of your autistic traits directly influence your opinion on the matter?

Halloween recently made some inroads here, alto mostly promoted by retail businesses who hope to use to boost sales. As a child it most mentioned in American children cartoons where all the spoken text was translated to dutch, and some cases even the place names which could cause confusion at times.

Now Halloween it self, was of course a mixture of several European traditional celebrations around that time of the year. And main influence if I remember correctly came from Irish Catholics. It was part celebration of the end of the harvest. And during those times it is/was believed that spirits of the dead would walk the earth, most cases represented by dressed up young males. An element we also see in a number of European Sinterklaas celebrations.

Now my opinion is a mixed on. I do not agree with the importation of the commercialized American version of it. However I do not object if it would lead to the revival of more native traditions.

Kiriae wrote:

Does Polen have carnival?