Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
ADHD was "automatic fail disease" back in the 80s. It kind of occupied the place that autism/Asperger's does now. I remember when I was a kid, it was the label that people whispered behind their hands about and people would homeschool their sons to avoid. I grew up with a lot of the fruits of that; it didn't look any better than the fruits of ASD being "automatic fail disease" today does. You'd think we'd learn.

Yeah, I would have to agree with this^^^^

Another theory I have, which I am not 100% on, is that some of the normalization of ADHD has to do with the meds making kids look less symptomatic and that is what society likes, and I think the social acceptance is almost a reward for seeming more "normal." I think if they ever develop meds that work on ASD symptoms in the same way for as large a percentage of kids that may be the result for ASD too. So, in my mind it is a double edged sword.be careful what you wish for kind of thing, which just loops into that other thread about pressure to medicate. I think parents of kids with ADHD are under an enormous amount of pressure to medicate and that pressure is drifting our way.

(This is not a critique of anyone here whose children require meds. I am talking about exogenous pressure not endogenous needs. I also know that a lot of kids with ADHD symptomology really are happier on meds --- so this is not a critique of that either. It is an observation I am making about normalization of appearances, only.)