Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary edition

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 9:38 am

Have any of you guys been fans of the Gabriel Knight series? There were initially 3 games made in the series by Sierra between 1993 and 1999. Though each of the different games were made in a different style. The first on, which came out in 1993 was just a classical point and click adventure game, the second one was a FMV game while the third was one of the very first full 3D adventure games (though full 3D graphics back in the '90's was unfortunately pretty ugly compared to the 3D graphics that we have today because the technology was still pretty new). I don't want to spoil the plot but basically, Gabriel Knight is the main protagonist of the series and he finds out in the first game that he's a shattenjager (shadow hunter) or comes from a family of shattenjagers, basically they're supernatural investigators. Anyway, Activision has asked Jane Jenson (the original author of the series and is now working in an indie game studio called Pinkleton Road) to do a remake Gabriel Knight 1 using modern graphics and for new audiences. Unfortunately, they couldn't find all the original voice actors for the game, so Tim Curry is not voicing Gabriel Knight like he did in the original game. Otherwise, it still looks pretty good and has some new content added, plus it's being released only in a few days time on the 15th of October. Here's the trailer of this remake:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwzzKEb04Go[/youtube]

What do you guys think of this?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2014, 10:00 am

I've been waiting in anticipation for this remake. I've played all the Gabriel Knight games, and I loved everyone of them. :)

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 2:56 pm

Kurgan wrote:
I've been waiting in anticipation for this remake. I've played all the Gabriel Knight games, and I loved everyone of them. :)

I would like to play it too. The Gabriel Knight games are among the best point-and-click adventure games ever made.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 5:41 am

I bought all three games during a sale at GoG recently, but surprisingly I've never played any of them before.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 5:43 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I bought all three games during a sale at GoG recently, but surprisingly I've never played any of them before.

The second one is one the few FMV games of the mid 1990's that actually has solid acting and a good story. It has a lot of the same charm as the third season of X-Files, back when the character gallery and the conspiracy theories were well-established, but the budget was still low.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 8:52 am

Well, the remake is out now.