Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Oct 2014, 12:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:
We look young for our age yet we grow grey hair early?
I never looked young for my age. I hit puberty early & started growing facial hair early.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2014, 2:46 am

My mother used to tell me she found my first gray hair at 7 years old; she was parting my hair down the middle to make two braids a la Laura Ingalls (it was the 80's, don't laugh!) and there it was at the back; it freaked me out enough that I pestered her to pull it out and show me!

Started finding them around my temples & ears around my 30th birthday. I used to pull them out as it was only a couple here or there. I'm 37 now and they're everywhere but especially at the sides. And I don't have enough money to afford Lush Henna :(

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

James_Ladrang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2014, 8:22 am

Grey is good - it shows the onset of wisdom.

Saturnian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2014, 1:36 am

I started having grey hair at 17. It began in the eyebrows amd later spreaded.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 4:34 am

Some is genetics, but stress can cause your hair to gray (eliminating stress will allow the color t come back). I'd guess we have more "stress" in our lives than others might.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2014, 4:48 am

My dad started going gray in his 20's. I'm the same age and it's not happening nearly as fast; I find a few gray hairs at my temples but that's all. My hairline has receded slightly in the last few years, which bugs me a little. If I could choose between going gray and going bald, I'd choose gray. :)

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 10:21 am

Evil_Chuck wrote:
My hairline has receded slightly in the last few years, which bugs me a little. If I could choose between going gray and going bald, I'd choose gray. :)
You could try Rogaine & asking your doc about taking Finasteride to slow it down.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 8:34 pm

I have one or two gray hairs, myself....found them a couple years ago. Could be due to stress, idk. I don't worry about it that much, though....premature graying just makes me more unique. :) I don't know that many other twenty-somethings IRL who have any.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 8:34 pm

Whoops, double post; sorry. :oops:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2014, 9:40 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
stress can cause your hair to gray (eliminating stress will allow the color t come back). I'd guess we have more "stress" in our lives than others might.

I forgot to mention that I've pulled out supposedly gray hairs that had changed mid-growth. The base of the hair (current growth, closest to scalp) was gray which drew my attention to it, and after pulling it out discovered that the end of the hair (old growth) had started off brown. On one occasion the hair had changed colour twice along it's length: the middle area was gray, the far end was brown, and the bulb end of it was brown again! :lol:

And it made me wonder about stress: Did I just go through a stressful time for a couple of months which made the hair go gray mid-strand, and after the stress was gone it reverted back to brown? I never did pinpoint anything specific, unless it was a particularly bad flare-up of my POTS :shrug:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 10:12 pm

I actually read a Tumblr post somewhere about the fact that Queen Elinor (Merida's mother who gets turned into a bear) in the Disney/Pixar movie Brave has some gray hair even though she looks to be in her very early thirties....I don't really remember what it said, but it said that there are some people who actually have naturally gray hair later on in life, and it doesn't really have much to do with aging per se....does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Has anyone else heard about anything like that?....I'm probably not explaining it right at all, it's been years since I saw that Tumblr post. :oops:

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

17 Oct 2014, 2:17 pm

There's some sources that say grey hair is related to lack of certain nutrients like copper. Since stress consumes higher amounts of several nutrients, it would make sense why there's a connection between stress and greying. Seems there's a genetic component, but maybe its related to how one is genetically disposed to handling nutrients. I searched "reverse grey with minerals" and found some interesting reading.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 3:42 pm

voleregard wrote:
I searched "reverse grey with minerals" and found some interesting reading.
Can you post links or PM me the links. I'm curious about what other supplements I can take for it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 10:59 pm

I'm already 31 and no gray hair yet, but I think it'll look good when I get some. My hair color is a sort of bland brown, all the same color, and having gray in it would make it look a little more interesting.

The thing I don't really like about the way hair changes when you get older, is that it gets thinner. As a female I probably won't get the male-pattern baldness that's caused by testosterone exposure, but I probably won't have as much hair as before, and I think that'll be annoying because thicker hair tends to stay in place where you put it when you comb it in the morning, but thin hair flies around more. I knew a girl with really fine blond hair when I was in sixth grade and it always floated around her head. I guess when I get older I'll cut my hair more often so that doesn't happen. Right now I let it grow until it touches my eyebrows because I can tolerate having it touch my forehead if it doesn't wisp around too much, but I don't think I could if it were thinner. So I'm going to be a badass granny with a buzz cut.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com