Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 3:08 pm

In this thread you can discuss anything related to MS-DOS, the command prompt, and dos based versions of windows(9x).

Did you know is easier to manage files in the command prompt than in the Win 8 file explorer? :lol:

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

The Windows 8.x file explorer is similar to that of Windows 7's file explorer, except without that godawful Aero theme.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2014, 7:04 pm

I ment that Windows 8 makes my computer so slow that it is faster and of much less anoyence to just use the command prompt than to bother with the slower File Explorer.

DeuceKaboose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2014, 10:03 am

Kurgan wrote:
The Windows 8.x file explorer is similar to that of Windows 7's file explorer, except without that godawful Aero theme.

I actually liked windows 7 file manager a lot better, especially if you use image-boards since there is no image preview in the windows 8 file manager when uploading them which is quite annoying

I personally also quite liked the aero theme

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 11:01 am

DeuceKaboose wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

I actually liked windows 7 file manager a lot better, especially if you use image-boards since there is no image preview in the windows 8 file manager when uploading them which is quite annoying

I personally also quite liked the aero theme

The Aero theme is the mid 2000s in a nutshell, and it hasn't aged well in my opinion. Frosting effects, massive drop shadows, and so on, makes the system look like an old Flash website.

digitalb0y
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2014, 12:55 pm

Any one remember Norton Commander? Or DosShell those where Classics!! These days i just use a powerful command shell zsh! however on occasion I use midnight commander.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 2:29 pm

Yes, Norton Commander!! This topic makes me so nostalgic...

Anyone remember the time there were still BBSes running? The time of xmodem, ymodem and zmodem, Telix, ProComm and waiting for an entire evening to download a 750kb shareware game, keeping your fingers crossed that ARJ would succeed in unpacking the archive without errors?

I miss those days.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 2:33 pm

My soul runs on MS-DOS. 8)

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 11:28 am

Kurgan wrote:

Aero is nice IMO. But windows 8 file explorer has that awful ribbon interface.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 8:11 am

Or how about COMMAND.COM?

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2014, 7:55 pm

SweetTooth wrote:
Yes, Norton Commander!! This topic makes me so nostalgic...

Anyone remember the time there were still BBSes running? The time of xmodem, ymodem and zmodem, Telix, ProComm and waiting for an entire evening to download a 750kb shareware game, keeping your fingers crossed that ARJ would succeed in unpacking the archive without errors?

I miss those days.

Those were the days...

Must have been about 20 years ago, now that I think of it.