What Anime Do You Watch; Also, Dub or Sub?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dub or Sub?
Sub 60%  60%  [ 12 ]
Dub 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 20

Liveirarica
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2014, 3:37 am

I'm a fan of Anime, I started recently for a couple of months ago. I usually prefer dub (Funimation), but if the dub isn't available, or in rare cases, absolutely horrendous, I will watch it in Japanese with English subtitles.

My first Anime was Death Note and then started on watching Black Lagoon as my two gateways for Anime, I then started to "professionally" watch Anime as a regular custom for myself, and for a time even replaced cartoons, movies, TV shows and all that with Anime! I since used to watch Monster, Attack On Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Aku no Hana, Romeo x Juliet, and many more, I think I have seen more than 14 in total. I do like to watch serious and dark toned Anime, I'm not much for Shounen.

I am currently watching One Piece in English dub though, currently at episode 55 and not planning to stop anytime soon. A pretty good show!

What about you people? What was your gateway, your preferred genre, and a top 5 of your favorites Anime? Discuss.

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2014, 4:21 am

I tend to watch foreign films with subtitles, but with Anime it's really both. It depends on my mood. Dub works with anime and is usually closer to the original words so I do quite often choice that as I like to visually take in the scenes and if you're not reading you can take in much more.

I really liked Serial Experiments Lain and that's probably my favourite, then it's more of your usual stuff slightly adult aimed stuff like Ghost in the Shell and Paranoia agent and of course studio Ghibli stuff.

Liveirarica
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2014, 5:51 am

NotaHero wrote:
I tend to watch foreign films with subtitles, but with Anime it's really both. It depends on my mood. Dub works with anime and is usually closer to the original words so I do quite often choice that as I like to visually take in the scenes and if you're not reading you can take in much more.

I really liked Serial Experiments Lain and that's probably my favourite, then it's more of your usual stuff slightly adult aimed stuff like Ghost in the Shell and Paranoia agent and of course studio Ghibli stuff.
I forgot Ghibli movies, those are some of my favorites!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:58 am

I can't comment on anime since I'm not really into it and don't watch it, but with foreign films, I almost always watch them in the original language and with English subtitles if that's an option. I would prefer to watch and listen to everything in English, but most of the English dubs I hear for foreign films are shockingly poor.

I certainly hope that anime gets treated better than the foreign stuff I watch (mostly East Asian action movies, with some French and German). Not long ago I watched The Raid 2, and the default audio option was the English dub. I nearly spit my drink out when someone started talking. It was just awful.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 7:03 am

I like anime subbed - probably because English is not my national language and I read it more often than I hear it. But I also like watching Polish movies subbed (our TV got "subtitles for people who can't hear", its a great thing) since it is easier for me to focus on what I see rather than what I hear.

About anime itself - my adventure with it also started from Death Note. It was the first and for a long time the only anime I watched till the end.

But then I seen Ao no Exorcist and it become my special interest for a while (not anymore but I still write fan fiction about it - 32 chapters so far, 120 pages).
Currently I watch different animes for 1-2h everyday. Recently I am watching Ouran Koukou Host Club, but while the anime started nice the further episodes are too random for me, there is no visible plot. Too many fillers I quess. I will move to another anime soon.

About kinds:
I like shounens and shounen-ai and bishonen. I am not really into shojo with a few exceptions(such as Kaichō wa Maid-sama). Most of girl characters in shojo anime seem weak and stupid to me. I just can't identify with them.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 9:11 am

Since I watch most when they come out, I tend to watch in subs, I used to be a bit of a snob about it, but I do rewatch things in English too.

You want to know what I have watched? My list is well over 400 hundred titles, I think that I tend to watch over 20 titles at a time as they come out. I watch pretty much most kinds, mostly dropping titles I see as just dumb, which tend to be the ones with lots of good looking guys and terrible plot. I started watching shows as they came out about 5 years ago, before then it was Death Note, FMP, Azumanga Daioh, Cowboy Bebop, and the like.

Kiriae wrote:
About kinds:
I like shounens and shounen-ai and bishonen. I am not really into shojo with a few exceptions(such as Kaichō wa Maid-sama). Most of girl characters in shojo anime seem weak and stupid to me. I just can't identify with them.

Hmmm, maybe I can recommend something. Maybe The World is Still Beautiful, having the main character initially gives the idea that she might be helpless, but she is actually really cool. Kamisama Hajimemashita, I don't think was that bad, it is quite funny. Kamigami no Asobi, I tend to not really like the girl surrounded by a harem of guys and pulled around by them thing, but she does take an active role and is actually quite funny. And you have to watch Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun , it is an anime about a shoujo manga being made, it pulls apart a lot of the genre's tropes that one might dislike, and it has some awesome characters.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 10:23 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Hmmm, maybe I can recommend something. Maybe The World is Still Beautiful, having the main character initially gives the idea that she might be helpless, but she is actually really cool. Kamisama Hajimemashita, I don't think was that bad, it is quite funny. Kamigami no Asobi, I tend to not really like the girl surrounded by a harem of guys and pulled around by them thing, but she does take an active role and is actually quite funny. And you have to watch Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun , it is an anime about a shoujo manga being made, it pulls apart a lot of the genre's tropes that one might dislike, and it has some awesome characters.

I tried all but The World is Still Beautiful from the list. I will check it out.
I have seen half of 1st episode of Kamisama Hajimemashita but dropped as soon as the dolls started ordering the poor girl around to do housework and she didn't say "no" or ask for reason, just blindly followed the order. But if you say it wasn't bad perhaps I will give it a second chance. I might always identify with other character if the girl really turns out that stupid.
Kamigami no Asobi was not bad but boring in the long run,I dropped about 7th episode.
I remember watching Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun but I honestly can't remind if I watched it whole or dropped. Nothing special in it probably.

But if wish to give me more recommendations I am happy to hear. I will tell you what anime I especially liked:
Death Note, Ao no Exorcist, Soul Eater, Black Butler, Hataraku Maou-sama!, Noragami, Bleach, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou and Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai (yes, I know the 2 are ecchi, I don't mind if the story is interesting), Mirai Nikki, Sword Art Online, The World God Only Knows, I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job...

All of them got something in common(at least I feel like that) - protagonist or a character near them does something evil for a good reason or is evil being that turns out not being actually evil.
Anti-hero stories.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 11:48 am

@ Kiriae
So you do like the more darker stuff.
I might recommend Pandora Hearts, it Alice in Wonderland inspired, with a dark gothic feel to it, it is really filled with demons and such. I think Alice in that might fit your thought on looking evil but not.

Beyond the Boundary is surprising in terms of this. I will warn that in the first episode especially the female lead is a bit bumbling, the male lead might look a bit ineffectual too, but there are some major surprises down the line that do the theme you like very well. I think it is that the characters are actually deceptive to what they are actually like.

Akame ga Kill is currently airing, it stars assassins that are kind of on the side of fixing the country, and things have gotten very interesting.

The Legend of the Legendary Heroes has a main character who can kind of be a bit of a demon, calling them heroes is a little ironic.

Chaika the Coffin Princess, the supposed daughter of an evil overlord, friends with two people who are pretty much assassins and not afraid of doing dirty tricks, and that does not even go into their fourth member. They are not bad guys despite being hunted. Many people start off thinking that the heroine is just a moe not very smart character, part of the reason is that she speaks in broken sentences, but most think she is actually a pretty good character that does not play on her lesser natures too much. They are antiheroes.

I am also rather fond of Fairy Tail, it is a long running show not unlike Bleach. There is a running joke of the characters causing a lot of collateral damage and being known for it, and a number of villains get shown to at heart not be that bad and make an effort to right their wrongs. Plus some characters across rather scary despite being good.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 3:53 pm

Thank you. I will take a look.
Some of those I already tried but dropped after 1st episode (Pandora Heart, Beyond the Boundary) or a few episodes (Fairy Tail) but I will give them a chance. Apparently it is worth it.

I gave a second chance to Kamisama Hajimemashita when you suggested it and I am currently taking a short break after watching 12 episodes in row, going to watch 13th episode soon. :lol:
As I though the girl got nothing likeable in her but Tomoe fits the anti-hero archetype I like.

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2014, 5:16 pm

I want to just suggest adding the option "Whatever is available" :L I mean, I watch both subs and dubs and honestly, it only depends on what's available :L

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

loyalmoonie
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Oct 2014, 5:32 pm

I only watch anime with subtitles if it's the only option available. Other than that, I strictly watch dubbed anime.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 1:20 am

I prefer to watch them subbed; that way I get the original audio in my ear, and I'm already used to reading subtitles because that's the way English-language TV shows and movies are brought to the Dutch audience.

I started watching anime somewhat seriously back in 2010, but I've since only watched about 20 shows or so. I love the shows that I've watched, but I see myself more as a casual viewer than as an anime fan.

My top 5 would be:

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
2. The Vision of Escaflowne
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
5. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Oct 2014, 2:23 pm

I watch both subbed and dubbed though i tend to lean more towards dubs just because its easier to concentrate on.

arnoldmcguire335
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm

Both, in some cases I'd watch dub if the dubbed anime was NOT altered to TV-Y7-FV levels (read: uncut anime only).
In fact, the only subbed anime I'm enjoying is the Gundam Build Fighters duology (Because this is a legit sub, not a fansub).

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:53 pm

I watch Subs, nothing against people who like it dubbed, but I came to anime in an era where most dubs made your ears bleed.

Examples of better dubs would be Ghost in the Shell and Neon Genesis : Platinum Ed.
If you want an example of what put me off dubs for life. X-1999 : The animated motion picture

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 4:15 pm

I haven't watched any in a while, but I like comedies in general. Most of my favorites are probably "youjo" (little girl) shows, like Pretty Cure, haha.

Neither subs nor dubs.