Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2014, 3:30 pm

i can say that i have as much freedom as the NT hordes, i just turned 18 and in my own custody,still in my moms house but with my own unit , i will go to the IDF, i am an excel student with a high school diploma and had gone to many roboic contests with my peers as a programmer , so thats why in my opinion, autism is not allway a disability , but i used to be vary disabled as a child, had countless meltdowns, i was violent , i was banging my head against the wall constantly , i was the ultimate poster child for the hate campaigns of autism $peaks , this is just proving that every one of us hase potential, and instead of wasting us by waiting for a cure they should help us thrive , i not sayng that all of us can, but alot of us just need the right help , and they can succed as good as the NTs , or even better :wink:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2014, 3:48 pm

I feel like I'm less capable but I have some physical disabilities but I feel like my Aspergers is part of it too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:19 pm

themanfromuranus wrote:
i can say that i have as much freedom as the NT hordes, i just turned 18 and in my own custody,still in my moms house but with my own unit , i will go to the IDF, i am an excel student with a high school diploma and had gone to many roboic contests with my peers as a programmer , so thats why in my opinion, autism is not allway a disability , but i used to be vary disabled as a child, had countless meltdowns, i was violent , i was banging my head against the wall constantly , i was the ultimate poster child for the hate campaigns of autism $peaks , this is just proving that every one of us hase potential, and instead of wasting us by waiting for a cure they should help us thrive , i not sayng that all of us can, but alot of us just need the right help , and they can succed as good as the NTs , or even better :wink:
Well said.

Wreck It Ralph

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:22 pm

Good for you.

I'm on disability.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 5:55 pm

skibum wrote:
themanfromuranus wrote:
Well said.

I second that. There's no telling how far any child will be able to go in life.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 6:03 pm

I admire your get up and go OP :) .

However I would like to add this caveat to your message.

Somebody who tries and fails should still feel great self confidence for having the balls to give it their all and try.

Every choice me make in life is a gamble.

grbiker
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2014, 8:12 pm

Good for you, no one should think that they cannot try, or that they will not succeed.

I am 48 and have tried a lot of things, and failed at many of them. I have also had many successes, and many people have said that I am very talented, intelligent, etc.

I am trying to pick myself up after some of my biggest failures, seeking the help I need, and plan on getting up and trying some new things to add to my successes. Or at least add to my experiences.

No one would ever call me an optimist, but I've always felt I have a core sense of hope that things will work out fine in the end.

Again, good for you. Cheers!

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Oct 2014, 12:36 am

thanks for your support friends :D , have a wonderful day

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm

However, it also depends on whether the person has other causes as well. For me, I have autism, but I also have severe ADHD, learning and developmental delays. I also have very severe anxiety, which causes me to handle stress well. Due to this, I am jobless and also collegeless. I'm on disability benefits right now because I can't hold down a job. Some of it is because of my autism, but other times it's also because of my other issues.

I had a late diagnosis, so I didn't get the help I should have gotten. I wasn't nearly as severe with autism as I am now, and that makes it harder for me. Not many therapies will help someone at my age level at the moment. I tried going into a life skills program, but that was a complete and utter disaster. :/ There's not much that can be done without having costly therapies that my insurance won't cover.

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Oct 2014, 12:58 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
However, it also depends on whether the person has other causes as well. For me, I have autism, but I also have severe ADHD, learning and developmental delays. I also have very severe anxiety, which causes me to handle stress well. Due to this, I am jobless and also collegeless. I'm on disability benefits right now because I can't hold down a job. Some of it is because of my autism, but other times it's also because of my other issues.

I had a late diagnosis, so I didn't get the help I should have gotten. I wasn't nearly as severe with autism as I am now, and that makes it harder for me. Not many therapies will help someone at my age level at the moment. I tried going into a life skills program, but that was a complete and utter disaster. :/ There's not much that can be done without having costly therapies that my insurance won't cover.
you are right , and it is sadden me to hear about your case, it is happening to alot of us, who do not get diagnosed in time, i just hope that with the new dsm things will get better for us

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

if that were true, then my grades would be much higher, and i would be able to read as many facial expressions as other.

i am not less capable, i am just differently capable

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 1:44 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:

Age has nothing to do with successful treatment.

You're 26. I was nearly 30 before I figured out my diagnosis/es, and have since spent the last couple of years learning & treating myself (including all of the other causes you listed and more) with incredibly positive results. My entire life has changed for the better. It's never too late to get happier & healthier, ever.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 4:17 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
LokiofSassgard wrote:

You're 26. I was nearly 30 before I figured out my diagnosis/es, and have since spent the last couple of years learning & treating myself (including all of the other causes you listed and more) with incredibly positive results. My entire life has changed for the better. It's never too late to get happier & healthier, ever.

That may be... but as I also mentioned. My insurance doesn't do well with extended therapies and such. It's costly for us to pay on our own, and there isn't much around where I live that's not too far away. We live in the middle of nowhere at the moment and don't plan on moving. Also, I can't go to another insurance company because the insurance here in Arizona sucks.

As I also mentioned, I have severe anxiety. This makes it hard for me to do anything that I should do. I've tried doing all that, but it just increases my anxiety. I can only push myself so far before I have a huge meltdown or emotional overload. That's what I was trying to explain in my previous post. My anxiety is far too severe to combat unless I have therapy. I'm actually on an anti-psychotic that helps control my emotional overloads because they were so bad. They still act up every now and then, but the medication keeps them from happening constantly. I used to get them nonstop and had severe depressive tendencies (IE. wanting to self-harm to the point of ripping out my hair because they were so bad. I also couldn't function because they were so debilitating).

I'm not like everyone else.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 4:29 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
LokiofSassgard wrote:

That may be... but as I also mentioned. My insurance doesn't do well with extended therapies and such. It's costly for us to pay on our own, and there isn't much around where I live that's not too far away. We live in the middle of nowhere at the moment and don't plan on moving. Also, I can't go to another insurance company because the insurance here in Arizona sucks.

As I also mentioned, I have severe anxiety. This makes it hard for me to do anything that I should do. I've tried doing all that, but it just increases my anxiety. I can only push myself so far before I have a huge meltdown or emotional overload. That's what I was trying to explain in my previous post. My anxiety is far too severe to combat unless I have therapy. I'm actually on an anti-psychotic that helps control my emotional overloads because they were so bad. They still act up every now and then, but the medication keeps them from happening constantly. I used to get them nonstop and had severe depressive tendencies (IE. wanting to self-harm to the point of ripping out my hair because they were so bad. I also couldn't function because they were so debilitating).

I'm not like everyone else.

While I am a Canadian citizen and have access to socialized medicine here in British Columbia, I didn't use it one iota in the treatment of my symptoms. I did it myself & paid for food/herbs/supplements etc out of pocket. It was relatively expensive for me in the beginning when I was earning very little as it consumed nearly 100% of my income, but I've since improved my health so dramatically that my income has risen significantly and now proper food and herbs/teas/oils/probiotics etc that I consume are a completely manageable expense for me.

I, too, also had severe anxiety (and depression) a year and a half or two ago. I put myself through self administered written cognitive behavioural therapy & learned a lot, but it didn't really help my anxiety/depression - the value in doing it was learning that those things were getting worse.. which eventually led me to learn the biochemical cause of my anxiety/depression and how to treat it naturally. Once I got to that stage it literally only took 5 days to almost completely eliminate the 5 month long severe depression that I had, as well as reduce my anxiety levels significantly. Over the months that followed, anxiety/depression continued to improve along with executive brain functions, audio sensory sensitivity, and virtually everything else.

I'm not like everyone else.. just like you. ;) If you can, please read the thread in my signature as it outlines everything I've learned and done to treat my symptoms. Feel free to pm me with any questions or comments. 8)

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 4:32 pm

At certain specific skills, as capable or more (like your programming, perhaps). At basic, everyday, common-sense skills, no, we aren't, and that's ok. Some of us can manage these things well enough but even then, not as well as an NT would, and some of us never will. We shouldn't be ashamed of that and it doesn't make us worth less than NTs. Being really good at mundane, everyday stuff is overrated anyway.