UKIP's nightmare vision for Britains political future.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2014, 7:11 pm

Farage has said he would openly support a tory minority government, in return for an EU referendum. His end game is clear and loud; a clear blue reactionary axis that will make devastating cuts on public services and in particular the NHS. A house of commons without an obvious dissenting voice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10 ... _hp_ref=tw

My view is that we should be in the EU, at the helm, trying to reform it into something better rather than turning ourselves into a economic and political backwater whose first, last and only option is brutal austerity against the poor and vulnerable.

My deviant art profile

Statto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2014, 11:02 pm

I agree UKIP are a disaster waiting to happen. I don't think they have much of a vision though as they essentially have 2 issues. The EU and immigration. The EU like is something we need to stay in. It's far from perfect but if we can renegotiate a few things we will be good. Pulling out and being a small fry in trade negotiations is not something we can consider.

Immigration is a big genuine issue, if for no other reason than people's perceptions, which are generally wrong. Immigrants result in a net gain to our GDP and do many jobs that people born in the UK won't do. However we do need a better way to deport illegals (UKIP don't have a viable plan here either) and must improve social integration.

As for the rest UKIP are a joke. They make economic policy on the fly and this week keep contradicting each other. Once under the spotlight this will expose them for being clowns.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Oct 2014, 3:47 am

The Labour supporters voting UKIP need to wake up to their disastrous policies. Most of their voters are former Tories, who would probably support mostly Tories policies, but generally people need to be aware of their far-right policies and authoritarian elements.

Currently they don't really have any policies, but their manifesto, should they choose to write one, is probably going to be a total shambles.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 2:21 pm

The worst thing to happen next year would be Tory/Ukip in power. Tory alone would be hard to deal with. And Labour piss me off by just standing aside and watching it all as if they don't care. Lib Dems are nodody's.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Oct 2014, 3:43 pm

I reckon the Lib Dems are more likely to hold the balance of power than UKIP. Like Carswell and Reckless, they benefit from having popular MPs.

IMO worse than Tory/UKIP would be Labour/UKIP. I think there are enough sensible people in the Conservatives to sort out a sensible economic policy. Labour would probably happily compromise on all the nasty stuff but then not get the economy on track.

I think the best case is a narrow majority formed by the Lib Dems and one other (probably the Tories, who are ultimately less self-interested than Labour), but requiring regional and Green support to insure against rebellions. The Liberals will act as a moderating influence, the lefties will hopefully stop any more cuts to benefits or any cuts on essential aid.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

What? You mean like how they stopped the cuts of the last five years?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 3:09 pm

Robdemanc wrote:

exactly. Imagine the cuts of the last five years, then imagine the person who implemented said cuts just snorted a line of cocaine. Thats what life in Farage's Britain would be like.

My deviant art profile

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Oct 2014, 3:28 pm

Robdemanc wrote:

Well, yes, actually. The Tories want to reduce inheritance tax on the rich. The Lib Dems stopped that, meaning fewer cuts had to be made. The Lib Dems protected housing benefit for the young, natural England, and wages of public sector workers in the North, as well as workers' rights, the Equalities Act and the Human Rights Act, and they prevented passage of the Snooper's Charter and banning the teaching of climate science in geography.

And fwiw, by "the lefties" I meant the Greens and Nationalists who would need to provide a buffer against rebels in my scenario above, not the Lib Dems necessarily.

I think we all know cuts had to be made. I think things would have been much worse with a Tory majority government.