Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Fel14
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2014, 3:26 pm

Now I would like to ask a question to those members of Wrong Planet, what is your favorite teacher? There are many types of teachers, some are like focusing on discipline all the time and is always serious. Some are friendly and very kind and have no problem to deal with some of the problems you have. Some is even between the two types, depending on the day. There are many more other ones besides that. But anyway, I would like to know from you all, what is your favorite teacher?

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 4:33 pm

My favorite teacher was my 8th grade science teacher. I really liked her because a) we connected really well and b) she listened to me- actually let me vent/ think without getting uncomfortable/ upset/ mad at me. I also really appreciated that she was similar in her outlook/ personality. For example, she was very straight-forward, she told you what she thought, you knew where you stood with her etc. It was exactly what I needed. It's been almost ten years since I have seen her but I wish that there were more people like her, in the world.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

Fel14 wrote:
Now I would like to ask a question to those members of Wrong Planet, what is your favorite teacher? There are many types of teachers, some are like focusing on discipline all the time and is always serious. Some are friendly and very kind and have no problem to deal with some of the problems you have.

Definitely the second type.

There have been exactly 3 teachers I have really liked, one in junior high, and two in the last high school I went to. Two of them (the two females, one from each of the schools mentioned) were very nice and friendly, easy to talk to, and you could talk to them about stuff. The first didn't have an authoritarian bone in her body, but her classes were still well behaved because everyone liked and respected her. There was one guy from one of the other classes who had German with us, and he tried to make some trouble, and that got him unpopular with the rest of the class, so he stopped. Nothing more effective than peer reaction to set someone straight.
The second was somewhat similar, but had a bit more discipline without being strict.
The third was also very kind and friendly, but struggled with dealing with the class when there were interpersonal problems between students. He was easy to talk to about the subject but not one for personal stuff. He was easy to like but pretty awkward. He was a bit weird, yet very well liked. I remember once when two girls in my class saw him in the corridor and both of them ran up to him, and one of them said "I saw him first!" And no, he wasn't young and cute; he was ca 50 and looked his age. He would sometimes tell the class jokes, and the jokes were always lame; a bit childish and sometimes nerdy. To be honest he was the type of teacher that could have ended up being laughed out of the classroom yet something about him made us like him a lot.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 5:59 pm

My current favorite is the one termed a "drill sergeant" by my classmates. Everything is covered in detail, and he wants us to use the most conventional and widely accepted way of doing things instead of the ones that may only work on our current Ubuntu computers.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 5:38 pm

Maths teacher currently because helps students and explains in a good way and is really nice

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:10 am

Zajie wrote:
Maths teacher currently because helps students and explains in a good way and is really nice

You're lucky you have a maths teacher who can explain well!
No maths teacher I had could explain it to me well. Only person who could, was an extra teacher we had a few times in junior high. If I had had main teachers like him, I would have done much better at maths! As it is, I only passed the grade because I tried so hard and the teacher gave me a break.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MilkTea
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2014, 5:38 am

Methodology teacher, he always shared books and documents to help us with our research projects. His way to explain everything was ok, I never had problems with his class. When I told him I was interested in UI design, he encouraged me to develop my first app, his class has nothing to do with that but his support was amazing.

TheTrueMayhem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2014, 2:32 pm

Most of my favorite teachers were in the elementary years. I actually got a hold of my now-retired third grade teacher's e-mail address and e-mailed him. He was a good guy; a little hard on me but in hindsight I probably needed it. But more importantly, he basically initiated my interest in writing by having our class write pretty much every day.

My English professor is a real citizen of the world too; he is an activist but also down-to-earth and always there to talk. He's flexible and open.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm

I have some to share. (I know, this is an October 2014 thread) No teacher's names are given out due to privacy.

My 3rd grade teacher (Woodinville WA) was really nice to us. She did very well teaching us math, reading and other subjects. That was one of my favorite years in elementary school, as I hardly got in trouble at all (highest was 1 time out...which is step 3 out of 5, 5 being in-school suspension, 1 being a warning.) She's now retired, but she was wonderful to talk to and say hi to...never mean at us.

My special education teacher in 7th grade (Bothell WA) (he did "Academic Lab", which was mostly a study support class, and Sped English). He is now retired but always treated everyone in a great way, very courteous, very nice man. He along with my counselor helped me through a tough family crisis by making sure many things were meeting standard for me. One of those was getting free lunch...I definitely needed it as without my parents working (laid off), plus separation and other things, there was no money to come around at ALL. The paraeducators in that class helped me a lot on my tough Science assignments.

Another favorite of mine was my 8th grade social studies teacher back in Bellevue, WA. I had her in her last year teaching - and by then she was 70, having worked in the same school since around 1979. Even though she got on kids here and there for being disrespectful, she was always courteous to me and told some great stories. Every year she planned two field trips - one to the Washington State Capitol in Olympia, and the other to a hiking trail near Stevens Pass that followed an old railroad. The latter trip was one of her favorites and she told stories of the years that there was still several inches of snow on the trail, and the story of the one year that it was "gorgeous, no snow on the ground, and our groups traveled the whole trail with no problem". The year I was there (2012) there was avalanche debris about 1.5 miles in, but that was very close to the end of the 1st segment, which would have been our turnaround anyways. Oh, and it was POURING when we got there. But still enjoyed it.

One of my favorite HS teachers has to be my freshman Humanities teacher back in Monroe, WA when I was going to school there for about 11 months. He was a wonderful nice man who moved from MA many years ago to start a life in the Seattle area. His favorite things was field trips. In the span of 6 months, our class went on 4 field trips and they were boatloads of fun. We also did some fun projects and assignments about Washington state history and the Pacific Rim while in there. What an enjoyable class to have. I'd always count down the days to the next field trip and hardly feel tired on the day of the trip ;)

Also in Monroe was a wonderful sp-ed teacher who was a girl's basketball coach, treated our class with respect and always enjoyed my company in the classroom. His best friend (one of my two PE teachers) also got along with me very well and we enjoyed blabbing about our favorite action/thriller movies in the non-PE-class-times.

Out here in Yakima my teachers seem to be OK...had a very nice forensic science teacher and my other science teacher is the dad of my best friend, whom we going hiking in the mountains with several times a year. Also enjoyed my child development teacher as she has helped me out with keeping calm in the classroom while working with other kids. I've had some ups and downs with the elementary observations that we did once a week and she helped to keep it "up".
BTW, the only reason why I took Child Development is to get into the elementary classrooms and help with the teachers and students. My plan is to keep going this way, go into college and get my teaching degree and finally become a teacher and make the student's days happier. Very specific on the grade level now, I have it down to 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Middle school and up would be too hard for me as the kids are too rowdy, don't respect the teachers and are rude. High school requires too much work either, and I know they'd try to put me in a coaching or club director on the side, which would mean even more work than I wanted. Kindergarten and 1st grade is just too young for me either...they are very little and not quite mature enough for me. I worked with 1st graders for a few weeks...pure hell. A few weeks later I got a volunteering job with 2nd graders...much better. They listen to instructions more than 1st graders, IMHO. I still work with those kids and with another group of 3rd graders, each 30 min on Wednesdays at a local elementary school.

People who would rather yell and scream at everyone than be courteous, professional and teach the material to us are on my "not good" list.

efagcollege
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2015, 8:22 am

My English teacher.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 4:12 am

I had a few teachers I enjoyed growing up, but I'd have to say that Social Studies/history teachers are probably the best kind. They were some of the coolest adults I knew. They seemed to care more than most about the rejects anyways, two of them went to the funeral of the kid that I was vaguely friends with who committed suicide senior year, no other teachers went.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 2:20 pm

The teachers in my first middle school were my favorite.
Some allowed me to not have to do work if I knew the subject matter really well, others drove me home when usually I had to walk a mile in the rain back home, and the coaches paid me lunch money (for papa johns pizza and ice cream instead of horrible school lunch) to help them clean up the gym as the mascot kid. They were awesome at teaching and well taught on how to maintain discipline.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 2:30 pm

I have three.
1. My Grade 9 English/geography teacher. He's really friendly and always says hi to me in the halls. He's the kind of teacher that makes you think. It doesn't hurt that he gives really good grades, either.
2. My French teacher. She's funny and makes her classes interesting. She likes to focus on oral communication rather than on grammar tests, which I like. In her class we have discussions about all kinds of topics.
3. My English teacher. She's really enthusiastic and excitable. She does have a tendency to get off-topic, but that leads to some interesting conversations. She thinks I'm a good writer and believes in me.

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2015, 10:28 am

I've gotten on well with all of my English and Literature teachers but the ones that I had for 7th and 9th grade English, 10th grade English and Literature and 12th grade English are particularly special to me. They were so obviously passionate about their subjects and it formed an instant connection with me since reading and writing are two of the things that I enjoy and value the most in life. They always had time for me and we frequently talked outside of the classroom since we had lots of things in common besides a love of books and poetry. I genuinely miss being able to see them on a regular basis.

I also had a great experience with my 11th and 12th grade Photography teacher. She had a very sweet and kind attitude towards every student (whether they were enrolled in the Photography classes or not) and her classroom always had a welcoming atmosphere because of it. The overall vibe was very accepting and encouraging of difference and I never felt unsafe or unwelcome in there. I definitely wasn't the best photographer in that class but I have very fond memories of it regardless.

I took Business Management in Year 12 and one of the reasons it was so enjoyable was the teacher. She genuinely wanted us to be our best and put a lot of time and effort into helping us do that. Not all students appreciated her but I certainly did.

The teacher that stands out the most to me from elementary school (or primary as we call it here) was my 4th grade teacher. I've always been quiet and somewhat shy and reserved in classroom settings but it was definitely to a higher degree when I was younger. She always made an effort to talk to and interact with me in a way that I could understand and connect with. I never felt pushed or harassed by her which is a lot more than I can say for the majority of my other primary school teachers.