Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 5:30 am

I have not read the other posts but I have a very clear take on the matter.

Until we have uncorruptible Judicial and Law enforcement systems capital punishment should not even be a consideration.

LNH your attitude on this subject seems to conflict with your user name

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 6:25 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
LNH your attitude on this subject seems to conflict with your user name

My dad spent half his life in prison. I know many prison stories.

Males in my family become either prisoners or flee the country. My brother recently got a ten year prison sentence, and he just finished four years. Another brother could not function at a job, so he fled the county to a poor part of the world.

My ASD doctor thinks they all have an ASD.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 8:19 am

I'm Pole and European, i think EU doing American disservice rather than favor imposing by ban on Thiopenthal.
http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... ca/283790/

Because it's means that convict will be executed by untested probably more painful mixture.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 2:54 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I have mixed feelings, I believe that the death penalty may deter some degenerates from committing crimes. Currently in Europe except Belarus is not carried out the death penalty.

I recently read that the European Commission has imposed restrictions on the export of certain drugs to the United States, due to the fact that they are used to carry out the death penalty by lethal injection.

I am interested in politics, I read an article recently in which some ultra-conservative politician (Republican) said that since Europe has imposed restrictions on the export of components for lethal injection (Thiopental), the United States should stop export to Europe American drugs, including those for terminal illness , such as cancer.

I admit that I was shocked would expect such rhetoric from Putin or Russian politicians but not from American politician.

We have a huge problem here in the U.S.A. with swine running wild. I apologize for our behavior.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 9:24 am

ZenDen wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
I have mixed feelings, I believe that the death penalty may deter some degenerates from committing crimes. Currently in Europe except Belarus is not carried out the death penalty.

I recently read that the European Commission has imposed restrictions on the export of certain drugs to the United States, due to the fact that they are used to carry out the death penalty by lethal injection.

I am interested in politics, I read an article recently in which some ultra-conservative politician (Republican) said that since Europe has imposed restrictions on the export of components for lethal injection (Thiopental), the United States should stop export to Europe American drugs, including those for terminal illness , such as cancer.

I admit that I was shocked would expect such rhetoric from Putin or Russian politicians but not from American politician.

We have a huge problem here in the U.S.A. with swine running wild. I apologize for our behavior.

Thanks, actually, from what I know it was a local politician, here in Poland and Europe in general, it happens that a local politician out of nowhere says something stupid, bringing shame to his/her country and sometimes even the whole region :D

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 12:04 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I'm Pole and European, i think EU doing American disservice rather than favor imposing by ban on Thiopenthal.

Because it's means that convict will be executed by untested probably more painful mixture.

Or more likely not executed at all, since alternatives would constitute "cruel and unusual punishment" which is unconstitutional.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm

AspE wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

Or more likely not executed at all, since alternatives would constitute "cruel and unusual punishment" which is unconstitutional.

After the mixture previously used for executions in the United States also once were tested for the first time, and there were cases of botched executions before you set the correct doses of this "magic potion" ;-)

Besides, Americans can return to executions in gas chambers

Although this type of enforcement has negative connotations for obvious reasons :D

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Oct 2014, 5:20 pm

AspE wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

It hasn't worked like that, though, has it?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28555978

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 6:32 pm

I have nothing against killing a killer. However, our courts are silly and cannot be trusted to decide guilt or innocence. DNA has proven many convicted killers innocent. Therefore, I am against the death penalty. Do you trust the government with the ultimate power?

I love debate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0
My debate style is calm and deadly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 7:25 pm

Maybe american should use Stalinist method.
In Poland known as Katyn shoot

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:18 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

Thanks, actually, from what I know it was a local politician, here in Poland and Europe in general, it happens that a local politician out of nowhere says something stupid, bringing shame to his/her country and sometimes even the whole region :D

I know the problem. Here, despite warnings by outgoing President Eisenhower, the swine population has gotten out of hand with the swine overrunning the country.

The results of their swinish behavior is, I believe, what people looking at the U.S. first see as most disgusting.

And these pigs have most of the money. This is why they (all of the owners of almost all the wealth) gloat over their success in their swinish palaces as crippled veterans have to beg for help (from poor people) on TV.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2014, 1:59 am

I think it's a good idea because I believe it discourages crime, and I believe in the retribution aspect of it.
I can't see it doing anything other than discourage it at least, even if it's only marginal.
I'm of course mostly talking about murder when i say crime, which in my view includes unjust abortion.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 2:17 am

I do not support the death penalty in any case, no matter the offense. The cost would not be an issue if the prison system was not so overloaded with people who should never have been arrested in the first place.. I think that despite people who cry out for "justice," in the form of capital punishment, other than close family and friends of the victim, a large percentage of people who moan about keeping the criminals alive are more concerned with money than anything else.

In the United States of America, money corrupts every aspect of life. Money trumps everything. To people who do not understand life.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 5:38 pm

anthropic_principle wrote:
I think it's a good idea because I believe it discourages crime, and I believe in the retribution aspect of it.
I can't see it doing anything other than discourage it at least, even if it's only marginal.
I'm of course mostly talking about murder when i say crime, which in my view includes unjust abortion.

If you read my previous post I mentioned there is actually zero scientific evidence it discourages crime. Someone determined to murder someone isn't thinking like a reasonable person.

Regarding "retribution" justice. This is no legal sentence using the term "retribution" and for good reason. So when the word is used it not really used in a legal sense but as a political buzzword. Legal principles are based on years, even centuries of experience of testing. You a get the odd draconian populist changes in the law, based on hysteria. Example Garotters' Act of 1863, which was rushed legislation, based on print media over exaggerating certain crimes, in order to sell more papers.

When someone is convicted, and sentenced, that is the law of the land and all of its subjects at play it is not law of the victim. It is a nice idea that the victim gets retribution, but the "victim impact" parts of law such as direct financial compensation, are still based on law of the land and all subjects. It is not personal retribution, but a punishment for breaking the law.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 8:40 pm

I lean toward being pro-death penalty but not enough to get up on a soapbox over it. If my state banned it I wouldn't lose much sleep. What I really would like to see throughout the USA is a reformed justice system from the police to the corrections system and everything in between. Right now it's too predatory, IMHO.