American Horror Story on FX ~ What Are Your Thoughts ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 7:58 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
Ok, I'll give you Papa Legba. I didn't get any of that stuff when I watched it, but that's probably not the fault of the show. It just seemed senseless to me.

So, was the goblin thing supposed to have been created by the doctor to be a child for his wife? Is that something I missed or just forgot about, or was it implied?

Their child had actually died, so he brought it back to life - -with horrendous results.
Incidentally, the late actor who played the goblin kid was the same as who played the circus freak, Meep, in Freak Show.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2015, 3:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
And actually, Freakshow was my favorite season of American Horror Story, and thus I encourage everyone to watch it. 8)

I agree. I thought the first half of Freakshow was superb with lots of memorable characters. I'll admit though that I've always been drawn to carnival-based stories like Freaks, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Geek Love.

Things seemed to tail off in the second part of the season and I thought that the last episode was was very disappointing.

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
But I also don't go for 'horror for horror's sake.' I want a reason for things. It's not interesting if it's just there to be scary. Mrs. Voorhees and later, Jason himself, killed camp counselors to avenge Jason's death by negligence. Freddy Krueger killed kids to torture the people who burned him to death (and because he was a sadistic pedophile rapist). Michael Myers killed babysitters because he apparently couldn't handle the sight of his sister's vag (and then to prove to Jamie Lee Curtis that she could never escape his grasp). I enjoy those because they have reasons behind them.

It may just be my personal preference of course but I think that things are more scary the less explanation is given. It makes for a more nightmare-like atmosphere. I found Hannibal Lector far less scary (and fun) when they gave him a backstory and a plausible reason for his cannibalism.

To me, things that make no sense are scary because it feels like reality is breaking down. I remember as a child watching a news magazine programme about the alleged ghosts in the Tower of London. There were the usual array of white ladies and knights with their heads underneath their arms. This was all very traditional and not at all scary... and then they mentioned something else that had supposedly been seen occasionally - the "Mysterious Blue Cylinder". That gave me a real jolt of (delicious) real fear: a blue cylinder? What? Why? That to me was really frightening.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 4:29 pm

I have not seen it but any thoughts on American Horror Story "Hotel"?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 7:22 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
I have not seen it but any thoughts on American Horror Story "Hotel"?

So far, I'm liking it a great deal. Not to give too much away, but the hotel had been built by a multi-millionaire businessman who had had included secret passageways and torture chambers, in which he murdered hundreds of people, till he committed suicide to escape arrest. His ghost now haunts the hotel, as do vampires.
Incidentally, the wealthy serial killer was based on a real life person.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 3:03 pm

Murder House - Intriguing and emotionally evocative spin on Casper The Friendly Ghost
Asylum - Had some moments, I liked the Angel of Death
Coven - Best overall
Freak Show - Most emotional and relatable

Haven't seen Hotel yet.