Autistic brains "wired" differently or not ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 12:45 am

Temple Grandin promotes this theory in many of her presentations, and shows CT scans of her brain as evidence. Is this true? And if so, then I don't understand why there are so many other theories promoted as to why ASD people function they way they do :?: She says in her presentations that ASD people have fewer connections to the social centers in the brain.

Also, it would seem like a "cure" will never be possible, because the brain is probably formed autistically in the womb ??

Thanks.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 2:51 am

It sounds plausible.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 3:41 am

I think it depends on the individual. Some people are definitely born autistic and some people are not. I was not born autistic. I started developing autistic-like symptoms after a vaccine. Since I wasn't born autistic I can fix my symptoms with diets and supplements. I never really fit the criteria for autism anyways. They were just giving me the best label that was available.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 3:45 am

It seems like the most plausible explanation. In my case, it seems that I inherited my condition genetically from my father, who may have inherited it from my grandmother. My dad is definitely an aspie, and my grandmother at least has some traits of it. My uncle also suspects that he has it, though he honestly strikes me as too much of a "people person" to be on the spectrum.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 4:26 am

I think that is almost certainly the case. That is almost certainly the case with many other behavioral differences as well. Even sociopaths - One group of people that truly scare me - are almost certainly wired differently. I agree that there will never be a "cure" for autism - at least one that works for most people with autism. But decreasing and in some cases even eliminating many of the most debilitating symptoms is very possible and many people already do that.

- Albert Einstein

Last edited by r2d2 on 15 Oct 2014, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 5:34 am

If we get it from our ancestors than from where did it originate? Who was the first aspie? When and where did he live?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 6:10 am

it is the most plausible indeed, and in my opinion the only one that is even remotely adequate.
now, where these differences originate from is a differeent story alltogether.
(sidenote: there are not only actual differences in the brains of NTs and ASDs, but also notable differences between AS and HFA)

a "cure" will indeed not be possible, since it is a state of being, not a disease; it is just as inpossible to cure autism as it is to cure homosexuality, down syndrome.

devilkisses, vaccines have been proven to have no effect on autism, they just happen to be given around the time where most autistic symptoms start showing; correlation does not imply causation... which doesn't mean that symptoms can be manipulated with (for example) diets

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 6:29 am

They'd just about have to be wired differently. If they weren't wired differently, I doubt that the behavior and abilities would be so different.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 6:31 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I think it depends on the individual. Some people are definitely born autistic and some people are not. I was not born autistic. I started developing autistic-like symptoms after a vaccine. Since I wasn't born autistic I can fix my symptoms with diets and supplements. I never really fit the criteria for autism anyways. They were just giving me the best label that was available.

Yes, same with me. I don't think I was born an Aspie. I think it developed when I was 4. I smiled for the first time just before I was 3 weeks old, and that was when my dad was touching my nose and wagging his fingers in my face. My mum says that I was making eye contact with him then formed a proper smile. I was a very sociable baby too, and wasn't delayed in anything (my mum recorded stuff down into a little booklet what we have kept, and all my milestones of development were met at the average stages). I liked being played with, cuddled, and picked up. I wasn't any different from any other typically developing baby. And I was just average with social interaction when I was at preschool. I remember playing with the other toddlers, and not feeling different or isolated. Not even the most professional psychologist in the world would have recognised any peculiar Asperger's symptoms. It seemed to all happen when I started school.

That frustrates me more because I COULD have been an NT throughout my whole life, if I was born an NT. I'd rather have died of one of those diseases as a child, than of had to live with Asperger's all my life. There I said it.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 11:50 am

izzeme wrote:
devilkisses, vaccines have been proven to have no effect on autism, they just happen to be given around the time where most autistic symptoms start showing; correlation does not imply causation... which doesn't mean that symptoms can be manipulated with (for example) diets

They definitely had a negative effect on me. Maybe I didn't become autistic, I just know that vaccines have fcked up my body and brain. I also suffer from headaches, brain fog, digestive issues and chronic fatigue.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 1:16 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
izzeme wrote:

They definitely had a negative effect on me. Maybe I didn't become autistic, I just know that vaccines have fcked up my body and brain. I also suffer from headaches, brain fog, digestive issues and chronic fatigue.

Lots of people "know" all kinds of things that are just completely wrong.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 1:22 pm

The "wiring" of your brain changes over the course of your life, though, doesn't it?

Statto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2014, 2:59 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Temple Grandin promotes this theory in many of her presentations, and shows CT scans of her brain as evidence. Is this true? And if so, then I don't understand why there are so many other theories promoted as to why ASD people function they way they do :?: She says in her presentations that ASD people have fewer connections to the social centers in the brain.

Also, it would seem like a "cure" will never be possible, because the brain is probably formed autistically in the womb ??

Thanks.

Yes, they have proven it with fMRI scans. Pretty interesting stuff.