Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 6:08 am

People always think I look cranky, even when I'm not cranky. Maybe it's because it's very rare for me to have facial expressions at all. It's hard enough for me to do them in the mirror but even harder for me to do them without a mirror.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do I deal with it. I feel like if I smile all the time people will think I'm crazy.

hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2014, 6:30 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
People always think I look cranky, even when I'm not cranky. Maybe it's because it's very rare for me to have facial expressions at all. It's hard enough for me to do them in the mirror but even harder for me to do them without a mirror.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do I deal with it. I feel like if I smile all the time people will think I'm crazy.

theres nothing you can do. I used to have this problem and became obsessed with fixing it. I tried squinting my eyes which made things worse. Then I tried smiling 100% of the time which made people think I was crazy. Ive learned to just not think about, youll be happier not thinking about it- trust me.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 6:50 am

I have this problem.

I don't smile much. There are a few people that can get me to smile naturally, but not if I am feeling anxious.

I have to be completely carefree to really smile, and I am always pondering things too much for that. I'm not always thinking of negative things, just thinking. So I look serious all the time.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 7:30 am

hollowmoon wrote:
I tried squinting my eyes which made things worse.

I guess it would. I read this book called What Every Body is Saying and it said squinting your eyes is considered to be a reaction to something you're disgusted by or disapprove of.
hollowmoon wrote:
Ive learned to just not think about, youll be happier not thinking about it- trust me.

I know I would but if I applied that logic to all my problems I'd never fix anything and that would make my unhappy.
nerdygirl wrote:
and I am always pondering things too much

I get that problem too. I can never stop overthinking.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2014, 7:38 am

Happens to me quite often. Am always getting the 'what's wrong' and the 'are you upset about something' questions. Most of the time nothing is particularly wrong, I just don't walk around with a smile on my face. Have tried to in the past and people think I look like I'm up to something or that it looks 'creepy'. I'll never figure these folks out.

hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2014, 8:43 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
hollowmoon wrote:
I tried squinting my eyes which made things worse.

I guess it would. I read this book called What Every Body is Saying and it said squinting your eyes is considered to be a reaction to something you're disgusted by or disapprove of.
hollowmoon wrote:
Ive learned to just not think about, youll be happier not thinking about it- trust me.

I know I would but if I applied that logic to all my problems I'd never fix anything and that would make my unhappy.
nerdygirl wrote:
and I am always pondering things too much

I get that problem too. I can never stop overthinking.

I know but trying to fix your expression is hopeless. You'll end up just driving yourself crazy and being self concious.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 8:44 am

This is one of my problems. It happens almost every time I encounter someone.

Tho, I'm aware that I; do slam doors but not on purpose because I don't know my own strength. Same with knocking doors. I usually walk faster; so people assume when I bump onto them. But in reality, I'm trying to be careful and even not to touch them as much as possible. Lastly, my voice is either too loud or not loud enough; I barely have control on that. Sometimes I don't know what's not loud enough. Sometimes I can't hear myself within the noise at all; so I end up being assumed that I'm yelling AT people.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 8:52 am

hollowmoon wrote:
You'll end up just driving yourself crazy and being self concious.

But I already do that with everything else in my life anyway.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Oct 2014, 3:36 pm

I've been told lots of times that I looked mad or upset when I was just daydreaming, focusing on something or whatever. I think it's an Aspie thing

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition