Would You Rather Have Autism or Another Disability?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 10:06 pm

I'll take my Asperger's over my generalized anxiety, major depressive disorder, social anxiety and agoraphobia any day of the week! :geek:

I feel the others are way more debilitating to me anyway.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2014, 11:16 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
I'll take my Asperger's over my generalized anxiety, major depressive disorder, social anxiety and agoraphobia any day of the week! :geek:

But the big question is do you think you'd have the other issues if you weren't on the spectrum. I'm pretty convinced that I wouldn't have so much anxiety if it weren't for sensory issues and past social failings.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 11:53 pm

I have no physical disabilities but I already have other emotional/neurological disorders aside from autism.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 1:28 am

Doctors keep guessing cognitive impairment from certain disabilities (first is cerebral palsy). So I would pick cerebral palsy with classic autism.

Last edited by Lumi on 18 Oct 2014, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 1:39 am

calstar2 wrote:
RoadRatt wrote:

But the big question is do you think you'd have the other issues if you weren't on the spectrum. I'm pretty convinced that I wouldn't have so much anxiety if it weren't for sensory issues and past social failings.

That's a good question. One that I have no answer for since I was recently diagnosed and have no idea whether they are connected in some way or not.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 3:15 am

LokiofSassgard wrote:
I'd still want autism, but I wouldn't mind having a mild form of CP or something. You know, so people know I'm disabled. Most of my disabilities are relatively mild unless they are triggered. It's hard having special needs, yet not being taken seriously enough. D: Either that, or I wish my disabilities were more on a moderate to severe scale than just mild and what not.

I concur. I sometimes wish my autism were more severe just so people would see it and take my needs and difficulties seriously, rather than being seen as either the weird, incomprehensible NT, or the aspie whose functioning is so high she obviously doesn't require any support, both of which are wrong and damaging to me.

You guys's responses are interesting. I could never deal with being paraplegic, and I'm not sure what it would be like to have Down syndrome (though obviously the physiological problems would complicate things). I've sometimes thought it wouldn't be so bad having a congenital disorder like oral apraxia which took away my ability to speak; it would give me an excuse not to engage in mundane conversations all the time, and it wouldn't be as scary as being blind or deaf.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!