Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AreUtalking2Me
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2014, 8:14 pm

Today I had my Annual Review with my Regional counselor. When I was discussing where I was getting my money it wasn't SSDI :oops: sorry. She checked her notes it from my dad social security: SSA Even though I kept hearing disabled adult being thrown about.

When I applied for benefits in 2011 the person who checked my case raised his eyebrows and said let do your father because I can get more money. Through this I can get Medicare A, B, and D and the limit (in 2012) was $990 a month. I don't have a limit on how much I can keep in my checking account.

Again sorry for my mixup.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 9:04 pm

As far as I know, "SSA" is the Social Security Administration, not the name of the benefit. You receive SSDI from the SSA. You receive SSI from some other entity.

That $990 a month makes it seems like it's SSDI, rather than SSI (which has about a $750 maximum benefit). You could receive SSDI through working. You receive SSI if you don't quality, through work, for SSDI.

Or you're receiving benefits based upon your father's "regular" social security.

AreUtalking2Me
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
As far as I know, "SSA" is the Social Security Administration, not the name of the benefit. You receive SSDI from the SSA. You receive SSI from some other entity.

That $990 a month makes it seems like it's SSDI, rather than SSI (which has about a $750 maximum benefit). You could receive SSDI through working. You receive SSI if you don't quality, through work, for SSDI.

Or you're receiving benefits based upon your father's "regular" social security.

My regional counselor said specifically I am receiving my father social security upon his death. She did not say SSDI but SSA because I have not worked in my whole life, but my father had.