Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 10:27 am

What are some irrational fears you have? I'm just really curious since I know it's quite common in us.

Mine is fire trucks. Just the other day, a fire truck was outside the grocery store. I had a hard time walking passed it for some strange reason and felt a little intimidated by it as well. I remember as a child, I used to think the snow plow was out to get me. I used to hide form it and had nightmares about it. I don't know what made me think that, maybe because it was so big and intimidating for me as a kid.

Caesar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 10:37 am

Cats.
I have a lot of nightmares where my family adopts a cat even though I don't want one and keep getting attacked by it.

Sleepwalking; For some reason I sometimes think that I fainted or something like that when I leave school and that I'm actually sleepwalking while I'm just at home.
No idea, I remember I came up with that somewhere in December 2011. But yeah, it's weird lol :U

Also video projectors.
No idea why but I always think when I leave the classroom, that my thoughts and everything I see will be displayed on the projector.
I think it's one of those random weird theories that I came up with once and now actually still think it's possible even though it isn't.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2014, 10:42 am

Construction cranes. They scare me for some reason. I think it's the sheer size of them or the fact that they look as if they can topple over at any moment. I used to get teased for it. I've had nightmares about them before too.

Wasps is another. When I see one, I run off screaming (sometimes crying too) and have to be calmed down and comforted. Just seeing pictures of them brings back the fear. In the summer time, I bolt my bedroom windows shut even if it's hot. My cousin once got stung by a hornet in the night while sleeping and ever since then, I've bolted my windows shut before going to bed so the same thing doesn't happen to me.

gakmt
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Oct 2014, 11:16 am

Fire. I hate candles, never use matches, can't even fathom smoking and lighting a cigarette with a lighter right in your face. The wife handles lighting the furnace and hot water tank if the pilots go out.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:00 pm

DarkAscent wrote:
Wasps is another. When I see one, I run off screaming (sometimes crying too) and have to be calmed down and comforted. Just seeing pictures of them brings back the fear. In the summer time, I bolt my bedroom windows shut even if it's hot. My cousin once got stung by a hornet in the night while sleeping and ever since then, I've bolted my windows shut before going to bed so the same thing doesn't happen to me.

I wouldn't consider them irrational. Mainly, they can sting you if you aren't careful around them.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:01 pm

Hmm, I suppose I am scared to death of snakes - even the most harmless ones.

- Albert Einstein

Erieks
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm

Bees, getting into water and needles. It was embarrassing when the latter two ones caused several panic attacks through the years and people laughed at me.
I also have fears toward high pitch sound and vibration sound. They are not enough to cause panic attacks though, just cause me pain.

We cross our bridges when we come to them, and burn them behind us with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke and a presumption that once our eyes watered. - Tom Stoppard

Last edited by Erieks on 19 Oct 2014, 10:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:08 pm

I guess I can say I'm terrified of spiders. Like, so terrified that it's hard to even look at pictures of them. D: I also have an extreme fear of needles, especially IVs. I freak out SO bad and all it takes is me seeing the IV bags/needles to fly off the bed in sheer terror. I mean, I'm in full on meltdown mode to the point where I'm about to die.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:46 pm

Thunderstorms

I've been scared of them since I was little and still am to this day. I'm always afraid there is going to be a tornado.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm

I fear walking near a working car, I also fear walking or getting near beach water, I fear airplanes and I'm very sensitive to their sound even if its flying up so far, I fear knives even if its just a kitchen knife, I also have so many other things which very I'm too irrational towards like failure in life, etc, etc.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 1:30 pm

Blown up balloons. I always fear they'll pop and make me jump out of my skin (more so when I was a kid though).

Dogs, especially pitbulls. I immediately cross the street when I see an owner walking their dog without a leash.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 1:52 pm

Not all but several kinds of bugs.

I am afraid of becoming sick (I mean seriously sick, not like a cold or something like that). Yeah, no one wants that, but my fear of it is more than the norm.

And I'm kind of a control freak, so I fear not having full control. It stresses me out. I need to be able to control my own life; probably because I have so little control over it, I guess.

I always fear things going wrong and absolutely hate not having a plan B.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 2:12 pm

I have an irrational fear of doors. They're too unpredictable. You never know if you need to push or pull them, how heavy they're going to be, whether they've got one of those automatic closers that's going to almost amputate a few fingers, what's on the other side, who's going to come through them etc.
I can't sleep near a door. I need to be as far away as possible. I don't like standing anywhere near a door and I hate it when they bang shut repeatedly like the doors at work.

sdu
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Oct 2014, 7:13 pm

Although I no longer have this fear, I absolutely hated swimming pool drains (and other underwater fixtures) when I was younger. Despite fearing these drains, I was fascinated by the different types of grates and their various shapes.

I also used to fear airbags in vehicles, even though I always sat in the back seat back then. I was afraid to hear them deploy, since they make a deafening and sudden sound, and I thought I would get killed if they ever inflated. The large warning labels on the sun visors that read "DEATH OR SERIOUS INJURY MAY OCCUR" and displayed a pictogram of a child being crushed definitely didn't help to appease that fear. Now that I'm a driver myself and that I understand how important airbags can be in a collision (after watching many IIHS crash test videos), I definitely feel safer with them.

My last fear, which has also faded (and disappeared) over the last few years, was fire alarms. I didn't really have a problem with the devices themselves, but I was very anxious when I found myself in a situation where the alarm could (or would) sound. Pre-announced fire drills in elementary school were perhaps the worst situation due to the anticipation, which in turn created anxiety: I couldn't stand waiting for a loud, sudden signal to sound. Strangely enough, I've never been afraid of household smoke alarms.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 7:33 pm

Driving under overpasses, especially ones that run parallel and have a lot of weight on them like a train. I think there might be an earthquake and squash everyone on the lower level.

Out of all the animals that could attack me, I would prefer it to be a cat. I am biased though because I have 5 of them.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 8:08 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
I guess I can say I'm terrified of spiders. Like, so terrified that it's hard to even look at pictures of them. D: I also have an extreme fear of needles, especially IVs. I freak out SO bad and all it takes is me seeing the IV bags/needles to fly off the bed in sheer terror. I mean, I'm in full on meltdown mode to the point where I'm about to die.

Spiders for me too. The large house spiders are the creepiest creatures on earth. And they live in houses. That's bad.

But needles I'm fine with. Have had a zillion blood tests and IV needles stuck in me. I've done my own injections at home (methotrexate and Humira). All part of the fun of having Crohn's disease.