Is it normal for people with Aspergers to hate change?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 8:08 am

Imperfect wrote:
I have often seen or hear on this forum and elsewhere that a common symptom is disliking or being threatened/intimidated by change but...I'm the opposite. I really cannot wait for my environment to change completely. I have come t despise more people than I have come to like and the endless monotony of my life in sixth form is killing me (which is horrible because I only started about 6 weeks ago). I really cannot wait to finally wave goodbye to this, I get bored frequently (maybe due to depression idk) but this doesn't seem to fit my diagnosis. Does this vary a lot?

I'm the same. I love change but my Asperger's hates it.

:?

Buffaloni
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2017, 12:04 am

In most instances, I hate change, especially if it's sudden or on a large scale. I like predictability and I like to be able to process things ahead of time. For example, when making plans with someone, I like to have details - i.e, when we're going to meet, what we're going to do, who's going to be there. Any last minute changes to those plans will throw me completely off.

If it's a positive change or a change I'm making on my own, however, I don't mind it as much.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2017, 12:57 am

I'm AS and fine with change, as long as it's my own choice and I have time to mentally prepare. I've lived in several countries and dealt with it well.

My AS son, on the other hand, hates it. If we need to move, he gets very upset. (Of course, poor kid, it's not his choice.) After a couple of months in the new place, he adjusts and likes it fine. Then if he move again, the process repeats. I really need to stabilize our life so that he doesn't have to keep going through this. (Our NT son has no trouble with it at all.)

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 May 2017, 1:05 am

Imperfect wrote:
I have often seen or hear on this forum and elsewhere that a common symptom is disliking or being threatened/intimidated by change but...I'm the opposite. I really cannot wait for my environment to change completely. I have come t despise more people than I have come to like and the endless monotony of my life in sixth form is killing me (which is horrible because I only started about 6 weeks ago). I really cannot wait to finally wave goodbye to this, I get bored frequently (maybe due to depression idk) but this doesn't seem to fit my diagnosis. Does this vary a lot?

People are boring and talk about meaningless stuff... the world was made for Aspies LOL... our job is to not like anything because it's not good enough and it's society's job to hide it and throw money at us that we're supposed to not touch etc... it's all a game for us to play! Come on guys- let's spoil some stuff for everyone!

Nothing better than paying a dollar to go to the MMA museum and when no one is looking, touch a painting LOL... museums are made for Aspies!

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 May 2017, 1:06 am

I mean... I know you're not supposed to touch them but they make them as touchable as possible for Aspies LOL