Is is normal to have conversations with people in your mind?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you have conversations with imaginary versions of your friends in your head?
Poll ended at 01 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm
Yes, often. 76%  76%  [ 61 ]
Sometimes. 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
I've done it before, but only once or twice. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I've never done this before. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 80

Erieks
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2014, 11:04 pm

IAmTheCatalyst wrote:
I do it to prepare for social situations. If I don't prepare for different situations then I have great trouble talking.

Exactly! I do it since I was 11. It helped a lot in social situations. : )

What's interesting is that for unknown reason I mostly talk to myself in English instead of my native language. It seems that I can only express myself properly in English and I would sound so unnatural and weird when I speak my native language that people thought I was a foreigner. :lol:

We cross our bridges when we come to them, and burn them behind us with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke and a presumption that once our eyes watered. - Tom Stoppard

Last edited by Erieks on 19 Oct 2014, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 11:24 pm

Andrejake wrote:
Do that all the time.
Especially when i'm going to meet someone and we'll have to chat. My mind just get uncontrolled, creating numerous conversations that happen.

Me too. I have conversations with people I'm going to have to talk to in my head, and I'll say parts of them out loud, repeating both my and the other person's responses. Saying things out loud is almost like a compulsion for me, like I can't help it, or it doesn't feel real if it just stays inside my head. I'll have the same conversation with myself dozens of times until the actual event occurs, and do it whenever I have to make a phone call. I'll practise what I'm going to say when the person picks up over and over again, and when the time comes, I just recite it like a line from a script. If someone says something unexpected, or asks a question I wasn't anticipating, I get very anxious and freeze, scrambling to come up with something that wasn't on the script.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 11:28 pm

Erieks wrote:
What's interesting is that for unknown reason I mostly talk to myself in English instead of my native language. It seems that I can only express myself properly in English and I sound so unnatural and weird when I speak my native language that people thought I'm a foreigner. :lol:

I do this too, except I'll natter to myself and my imaginary friend in French, though English is my first language. His name is Bob and I talk to him all the time. It feels very strange if he leaves for any period of time. I go to talk to him and remember he's not there, and it feels like I'm missing a limb, or something else very important. People watch me walking down the street talking to him/myself, and I'm aware I probably look Schizophrenic, paranoid, delusional, or all three.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 3:03 am

I do this, but usually the "other" person isn't a friend or anyone else who actually exists, but just a generic placeholder human. It's generally just me arguing with myself about one of my interests.

Erieks

19 Oct 2014, 6:58 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I do this too, except I'll natter to myself and my imaginary friend in French.

I used to have an imaginary friend called Charlie. I picked up a pen barrel from the playground one day when I was 9 and he came up to me. I could talk with him as long as I took the pen barrel with me. But I lost it a few years later and he disappeared. :cry:

StarTrekker wrote:
People watch me walking down the street talking to him/myself, and I'm aware I probably look Schizophrenic, paranoid, delusional, or all three.

I scared my mom several times by doing this. :lol: And hey, you're a Psychology major! Nice to meet you!

We cross our bridges when we come to them, and burn them behind us with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke and a presumption that once our eyes watered. - Tom Stoppard

Lahonq
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Oct 2014, 7:14 am

It is normal, and personally it has helped me a lot in real situations and conversations. It is good practice...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 7:22 am

I'm sure thart most folks do it. With aspies doing it a little more because we need to rehearse social situations more.

Its funny how individual people you know in your mind's eye/ear automatically exhibit the same annoying habits that the real person has in real life. Like when I imagine talking to my sister I will hear her interrupt me fifty times a minute. Or if I imagine talking to another particular friend he always blurts out bigoted judgments about every subject I mention in the imaginary conversation.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 2:46 pm

I do it all the time - been doing it my whole life and I enjoy it a lot.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 3:04 pm

Pretty much all the time - Imaginary friends, like imaginary family and imaginary lovers have never let me down.

- Albert Einstein

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 11:10 pm

I have no friends, I just imagine hypothetical conversations between myself and other people, be they strangers or my own relatives.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2014, 12:07 am

For me, very normal if I'm alone. I'll have imaginary conversations all the time with anyone who's on my mind, real or imaginary.

r2d2 wrote:
Pretty much all the time - Imaginary friends, like imaginary family and imaginary lovers have never let me down.

Amen. :)

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Tiffany_Aching

27 Oct 2014, 12:37 am

Lahonq wrote:
It is normal, and personally it has helped me a lot in real situations and conversations. It is good practice...

You'd think so, but there's a wikipedia article describing it as a psychological disorder. It's called maladaptive daydreaming.

momofteenaspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2014, 4:17 pm

I'm neurotypical and I've done it all my life. Usually when I have to tell someone something and when I remember that i have to tell them the imainary conversation just plays out in my head. Other times when I imagine a conversation about me or my problems with another person, I can just develop it at great lenght. And I explain myself as if talking to a shrink. It's very satisfying, if not very real.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 5:25 pm

Well, I put "No" on your poll because I don't have a "conversation", per se, but I DO talk to MYSELF, at some point in the day----EVERYDAY!! Not without provocation, though----like, I often talk to the TV (reacting to something that somebody just said). It sounds like, though, that people are actually giving a voice to another person, and I don't do that. If I am thinking about a conversation I'm going to have with someone, it goes like this: "I know, if she says this, I'll say this", "If he says he's going to do this, I'll ask him, that".

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 11:54 pm

More than anything I do this in retrospect. Anyone else here do this a lot in retrospect? I figured other ASD people might have the same hangup, of trying over and over to figure out something that happened, thinking of what you would rather have said.

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Oct 2014, 1:50 am

Yes, I tend to have conversations in my head. It helps me prepare myself for probable outcomes so I have an answer ready. Oftentimes, I also relive conversations in my head and 'redo' them so they turn out better.