Is is normal to have conversations with people in your mind?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you have conversations with imaginary versions of your friends in your head?
Poll ended at 01 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm
Yes, often. 76%  76%  [ 61 ]
Sometimes. 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
I've done it before, but only once or twice. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I've never done this before. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 80

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Oct 2014, 1:50 am

Yes, I tend to have conversations in my head. It helps me prepare myself for probable outcomes so I have an answer ready. Oftentimes, I also relive conversations in my head and 'redo' them so they turn out better.

donthaveanickname
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2014, 2:54 am

LOVE to! I generally find I am my own best company. Plus my dog, of course. And I have LIVELY conversations in my head throughout the day. And thanks to doctors' notes can say I am NOT psychotic! Yay!

Cryptex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2014, 8:12 am

Talking to imaginary friends? Never. But I do talk to people I know in my head.
I don't have long, full conversations. But I think about what I could say in future conversations. Sometimes out loud, sometimes I don't.

Talking to myself about random stuff? Yes, very often.
Although, when I talk to myself (usually in my head, but sometimes very loud), it's a bunch of random things: quotes from a movie or commercial, swearing, things to stay positive like "come on, you can this", or "ahh, that wasn't so bad".

And I almost always do it in English for some reason, while I actually live in Belgium. Still don't know the reason behind it, it just happens.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 9:03 am

Lukecash12 wrote:
More than anything I do this in retrospect. Anyone else here do this a lot in retrospect? I figured other ASD people might have the same hangup, of trying over and over to figure out something that happened, thinking of what you would rather have said.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I replay conversations all-the-time, but I don't talk to the person, I say (in my head): "I wish I would have told her / him this", etc.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2014, 1:28 am

sure, but executing them in reality is another thing entirely.
It boggles my mind how just the presence of someone can turn me from a good conversationalist in my head to a crippled and helpless one.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 5:45 am

I totally do this. I sometimes do it before I'm about to be in a social situation, but I do it big-time in retrospect after the fact, as someone also mentioned here. Because usually after a social encounter I'm filled with frustrations and embarrassment and I'm going over the conversation in my head, figuring out what I said wrong, what I failed to say, and what I WISH I'd said and want to say "next time."

I'm also usually speaking these thoughts out loud, but I try to only do that when alone in my own home later. I've caught myself already starting to say my thoughts out loud while in a public place, and I stop that because I realize people think you're crazy. But I'm only ever talking to myself and just "thinking out loud."

Hearing my own voice saying "What I should have said to Mary is 'that's not a comfortable situation for me actually....' -- so try to remember that next time....oh crap WHY can't I remember?" helps me order my thoughts and find out what's really going on with me emotionally, much more clearly than just thinking the thoughts in my head.

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~