Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 7:54 pm

Are you a fan of Magic the Gathering? If so what brought you to it, what color do tend to rely on?
I started to play a few months ever since my local game store started to host free-play tournaments every Friday. I started by watching others playing, and then bought an intro pack to begin playing. I tend to play Green/White myself, and already find myself hating Blue. :lol:
I don't know if a topic was already made of this, but I wanted to know if anyone on WP played.

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

18 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm

Yo o/ I'm a fan of MTG. Got brought into it after my brother introduced me to it. at the time i was getting tired of yu gi oh and it's repetitive style.

I'm a man of many tastes in the colours of magic, When it comes to my standard deck, I actually play a simic deck which is Blue and Green (hehehe) for obvious reasons, people don't like it when i draw take my turn and finish my turn with mana to spare (hint, counter spells and creatures that are big. ain't nothing stopping simic and its Rampaging badgers/Storm crows (hahaha, MTG joke, pay no attention to it)).
The thing is, I actually prefer to play EDH (the game mode where you play with a commander and a deck of 100 cards with only unique cards with the exception of basic lands) and it is currently a Black/Red Rakdos deck with Rakdos lord of riots as the commander. This means, if i attack with rakdos, the amount of damage i deal (with all attack creatures) is counted as a discount affecting colourless mana, meaning big artifact creatures, demons, dragons and devils are easy to get out on the field at the low cost of 4 mana.

Planning on upgrading to a Black/Red/White deck with an angel commander instead. Can't remember the name but she basically allows me to summon an Angel, Demon or Dragon free if she attacks meaning i get free spawns of rackdos and any other big creature after that. oh, not to mention, if i'm fed up with how the match is going, i'd have my choice of about 4 - 5 different mass annihilation spells to clear the board and start over cause as we all know, White and Black have a ton of removal while red burns your life away quickly.

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

CivMaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2014, 4:46 am

quite new to it myself.
started 3 months ago, because a friend started aswell.
seems we both wanted to start mtg but didnt know about each other wanting to start.
mostly favoring white, liking blue for card-draw and flying and black for deathtouch and the effects that deal dmg and heal me.
one day i will make a deck with white, blue and black.
hm with military intelligence for carddraw, lots of flyers to get around the enemies blockers and black to kill his stuff.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 8:57 am

CivMaster wrote:
quite new to it myself.
started 3 months ago, because a friend started aswell.
seems we both wanted to start mtg but didnt know about each other wanting to start.
mostly favoring white, liking blue for card-draw and flying and black for deathtouch and the effects that deal dmg and heal me.
one day i will make a deck with white, blue and black.
hm with military intelligence for carddraw, lots of flyers to get around the enemies blockers and black to kill his stuff.

Death touch is so annoying to deal with, and I should know. I played against someone who had a mono-black deck, and he had a creature which gave every other creature death touch. :evil: I couldn't attack on the ground or air, because every creature had death touch.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 11:15 am

i haven't played in a while. but i still would like too. the only problems i have are... no one in my fam is into this stuff, (video games, anime, card games other than euchre), i don't have friends (i live in a neighborhood where kids are school age and most of the adults are elderly) and i'd have to travel WAY to far for a comic shop that does weekly mtg tournies or whatever. plus, i'm 34 and people take a look at me and wonder why i ain't married with kids of my own by now. *sigh* stupid NT stereotypes!

but i have a worm deck. i'm faithful to it...even if 99% of the time it loses. LOL

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
Death touch is so annoying to deal with, and I should know. I played against someone who had a mono-black deck, and he had a creature which gave every other creature death touch. :evil: I couldn't attack on the ground or air, because every creature had death touch.

:L there is a funny combo where you use a card to make every creature you control death touch, another that gives all creatures undying and lastly one that keeps spawning zombie tokens. The reason this is funny is cause you basically go full agro with it and let the enemy risk blocking a death touch token that will come back with a +1/+1 counter on it ready to attack again. slow but funny as hell xD

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

CivMaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2014, 3:36 am

undying ks on tokens? i always thought it doesnt

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2014, 7:34 pm

CivMaster wrote:
undying ks on tokens? i always thought it doesnt

i'm probably mistaken but tbh, the cards that give death touch and the card that gives zombie tokens are both creatures so giving them undying is still useful just less necessary xD

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:34 pm

I used to play, and I still have a large collection of cards, but I lost interest a while back when I realized how slow of a player I am. I was never quite able to get up to speed with the people I played against. I played on and off for about 5 years.

CivMaster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2014, 3:16 am

i meant "undying works on tokens?" isnt undying only working if the card goes to the graveyard and through undying is then returned with a +1+1counter on it?
tokens do not go to the graveyard.

yes deathtouch is most of the time already enough

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

31 Oct 2014, 1:59 pm

CivMaster wrote:
i meant "undying works on tokens?" isnt undying only working if the card goes to the graveyard and through undying is then returned with a +1+1counter on it?
tokens do not go to the graveyard.

yes deathtouch is most of the time already enough

yeah ^.^" i realized my stupidity after you brought it up xD lucky i'm more of a theory crafter rather than a MTG player >,.,>

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2014, 9:05 am

I've been playing MtG since 99 (yeah, Urza block is the best way to break into a game, lol).

On and off I played with friends and attended tournaments, participated in pro tour qualifiers and such, nothing really came of it though aside from a 1st place winnings at local tournaments (drafts and the occasional FNM event). But ever since my local store closed I haven't been attending any FNM events and such. Which is a shame, since I still have a fully functioning Soul sisters build for Modern sitting in a deckbox :(

However, I play Magic: online pretty much daily and somewhat competitive. I prefer Legacy and Modern over Standard (price is among the reasons why I prefer eternal formats of the "flavor of the week" format). I can enjoy Commander and Pauper from time to time and I'm quite a bit of a rogue deckbuilder I guess (not to be confused with the actual youtubechannel Rogue deckbuilder)

I have a fascination for combodecks (which means Legacy is the right place for me, right?) though I often pilot straight up mono-red Burn decks as well. Or Goblins. But I do most colors fine I guess; Death and taxes is such a fun deck. Oh and let's not even start on Dredge, it's playing a different game alltogether.

My favorite color, and thus favorite cards are all red. Perhaps add a bit of blue in it for shenanigans; I'm probably more Izzet aligned in that regard. Favorite cards of mine by far; Warp world, Grip of Chaos, Confusion in the ranks... and I guess honorable mentions go out to Mind's Desire and Eye of the storm.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 6:47 pm

King_oni wrote:
I've been playing MtG since 99 (yeah, Urza block is the best way to break into a game, lol).

On and off I played with friends and attended tournaments, participated in pro tour qualifiers and such, nothing really came of it though aside from a 1st place winnings at local tournaments (drafts and the occasional FNM event). But ever since my local store closed I haven't been attending any FNM events and such. Which is a shame, since I still have a fully functioning Soul sisters build for Modern sitting in a deckbox :(

However, I play Magic: online pretty much daily and somewhat competitive. I prefer Legacy and Modern over Standard (price is among the reasons why I prefer eternal formats of the "flavor of the week" format). I can enjoy Commander and Pauper from time to time and I'm quite a bit of a rogue deckbuilder I guess (not to be confused with the actual youtubechannel Rogue deckbuilder)

I have a fascination for combodecks (which means Legacy is the right place for me, right?) though I often pilot straight up mono-red Burn decks as well. Or Goblins. But I do most colors fine I guess; Death and taxes is such a fun deck. Oh and let's not even start on Dredge, it's playing a different game alltogether.

My favorite color, and thus favorite cards are all red. Perhaps add a bit of blue in it for shenanigans; I'm probably more Izzet aligned in that regard. Favorite cards of mine by far; Warp world, Grip of Chaos, Confusion in the ranks... and I guess honorable mentions go out to Mind's Desire and Eye of the storm.

Oh dear, I remember Urza is when I first started collecting the cards..so much nostalgia. Went to the same place that sold model jets for my model fix to get cards. I always liked black but all the colors in MTG have really cool stuff, even white. Always been a fan of the art so I collected them but never had people to play with.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
Oh dear, I remember Urza is when I first started collecting the cards..so much nostalgia. Went to the same place that sold model jets for my model fix to get cards. I always liked black but all the colors in MTG have really cool stuff, even white. Always been a fan of the art so I collected them but never had people to play with.

I never cared thát much for the art on the cards. I like seeing it, and a few artists who do art are among my favorite artists, but I kinda see the cards by the abilities they have and as purely game mechanics driven thing.

What kinda drives me up the wall is having the same card from different sets, even though I can see the appeal of a bit variation. In gaming terms I always feel it's giving away too much information.

Yeah, Urza block... it's that moment in MTG history where they realized they need to playtest more. Crazy cards in there *cough*Tolarian academy*cough* oh and not to forget Gaea's cradle; that card is quite insane in Elf combo in legacy (not neccesary, but still... it does fire off your combo properly I found. The next block wasn't much better... the moment you print a creature you have to ban in block constructed because it's gamebreaking... *looks shifty at Lin Sivvi*. But hey; it's not like Batterskull or True-name Nemesis aren't cards with a pretty insane powerlevel, lol.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 9:23 pm

Does anybody here play the DOTP games (for PC or Xbox 360)?

You can get MTG DOTP 2015 on sale just now, on XBL.
It's a good price.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2014, 9:49 pm

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
Does anybody here play the DOTP games (for PC or Xbox 360)?

You can get MTG DOTP 2015 on sale just now, on XBL.
It's a good price.

I played one on xbox360 years ago (actually wanted it for the promo; Garruk Wildspeaker) played, I think 2 of them on PC and played 2 on my iPad.

So yes, I play them, I'm just not too fond of playing them on xbox or pc.