How Many Times Do You Re-edit Your Post?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 5:10 am

When I post a reply, I find I'm constantly re-editing what I wrote. Not just because I've left out vital stuff but for spelling mistakes, punctuation, anything, trying to make it perfect (which I suspect I never do). I guess it's part of my Aspie perfectionism. Anything I do (that I care about), I'm not happy unless I'm happy and depending on what I'm doing, I've been known to sit up all night just to get what I'm doing "Just right!".

In relation to my posts, I think I've re-edited a post more than 10 times just to get it right.

I've often wondered if there are stats kept on Wrong Planet for how many times you've re-edited your posts. (We could have a contest :) )

Does anyone else do this? Find a compulsion to re-edit until you're happy - no matter how small the corrections or how long it all takes?

(This is about the 8th time I've re-edited this one. Lost count)

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 5:39 am

I massively re-edit my posts. I don't like the look of a chunky post, and by default my nature is to write the most simple words that come to mind. As a result of this, my post will be filled up with so many small words and appear heavily padded, which I hate. This post is an example where I have not re-edited or made an extensive effort to keep it concise.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 5:40 am

A lot

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DanDaMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2014, 5:58 am

I am just like you and sometimes it drives me crazy.

So now i try to make my posts as simple and as short as possible.

Erieks
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2014, 6:36 am

Up to 8 or 9 times after submitting.
Same here. Sometimes I quit forums because it took me too long to write a post or reply and it always stress me out. Especially so when I'm not a native speaker.

We cross our bridges when we come to them, and burn them behind us with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke and a presumption that once our eyes watered. - Tom Stoppard

Last edited by Erieks on 19 Oct 2014, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 6:53 am

Any reply of more than 1 paragraph can take hours to put together as I can get quite pedantic with syntax. I never post before I am totally happy with it. I always use preview I rarely edit once I post other than for typos.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 7:12 am

guzzle wrote:
Any reply of more than 1 paragraph can take hours to put together as I can get quite pedantic with syntax. I never post before I am totally happy with it. I always use preview I rarely edit once I post other than for typos.

Yeah, preview is my friend too, but after previewing it, committing it and then (re-)reading it, that's when it all goes south!

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2014, 7:16 am

Usually about 2 or 3 times. The longer the post, the more times I'll edit.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 7:35 am

Before posting: 5 to 20 times, depending on length, complexity, and controversy (sometimes I delete whole posts due to the latter). I often look up expressions in Google as I'm also not a native speaker.
After submitting: 1 to 3 times.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

About a dozen times for my longer posts, 2-3 for my shorter posts.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 11:26 am

After submitting, I rarely re-edit my posts.

But that is because I only submit postings after they have been carefully vetted. First, I type my posts in my electronic journal (which contains not only my thoughts, but also all of my WP posts). Then, I read the posting. Then, I re-read the posting. Then, I spell-check the posting. Then, I re-read the posting, one final time. Then, I copy/paste the posting into WP. Then, I preview the posting. Then, I re-read the posting (once again). I then might make more edits (which also gets included in my electronic journal). And, I repeat this until done. When I am done, I submit. It?s somewhat obsessive. Then again, that?s expected. LOL.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 11:43 am

I try to edit before posting, but many times I edit afterwards usually to correct typos or punctuation. Occasionally I rewrite for better phrasing, sometimes delete sentences or paragraphs, often add a paragraph or two where needed for more explanation or examples.

There were some posts I edited a dozen times after posting, but what gets me to stop doing that is if someone else has posted in the thread after my post, and especially if they have quoted a block of my text. Sometimes I will be editing, will submit the edited version, and then see that while I was doing that someone else posted to the thread before I could finish and my earlier version is preserved in their post if they quoted me.

I don't like seeing how many times I have edited a post underneath it. I have that problem with Facebook too, but I appreciate the transparency and honesty that practice is meant to enforce. That is why in general once I see other posts in the thread posted after mine, I will stop editing even if not completely happy with how it is phrased.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm

Rocket123 wrote:

But that is because I only submit postings after they have been carefully vetted. First, I type my posts in my electronic journal (which contains not only my thoughts, but also all of my WP posts). Then, I read the posting. Then, I re-read the posting. Then, I spell-check the posting. Then, I re-read the posting, one final time. Then, I copy/paste the posting into WP. Then, I preview the posting. Then, I re-read the posting (once again). I then might make more edits (which also gets included in my electronic journal). And, I repeat this until done. When I am done, I submit. It?s somewhat obsessive. Then again, that?s expected. LOL.

You're telling me (it's obsessive). You've got it! :)

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
... what gets me to stop doing that is if someone else has posted in the thread after my post, and especially if they have quoted a block of my text.

Ah, well you see, I don't have that problem because I don't usually get quoted which kind of says something, doesn't it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 2:06 pm

I would be careful when editing after posting and not do it too much, especially during an argument or debate, because people may stop trusting you or get skeptical and suspicious and actually start accusing you of changing things to change an argument or to make others look crazy.

I do edit my posts before submitting them. I have to make sure I don't have any errors or missed words or didn't misunderstand anything or if I want to say anything else or add anything or don't have in too much detail or irrelevant stuff. I would hate to edit after I make a post but do sometimes.

Oops I just edit this post because I had to add something in. :lol:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 3:49 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
Rocket123 wrote:

You're telling me (it's obsessive). You've got it! :)

LOL. If I wasn't diagnosed with Aspergers, I would have been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder.