Yes. 55%  55%  [ 30 ]
No. 24%  24%  [ 13 ]
Not sure. 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 55

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 9:56 am

I definitely use the visual-spatial thinking pattern.

When I hear a word a picture of it comes in my mind. For example when I read the "rainbow" I seen a black page with a colorful rainbow on it, the same kind I used to paint when I was a kid. And later on, when I read about the rainbow memories I did see a slide-show of a few rainbows I seen: the multiple rainbows above my neighbor house I see quite often, a low rainbow I seen once in specific water condition, a huge rainbow above my city I seen when walking back from school as a kid and also the rainbow made by water sprinkler and the rainbow-like reflection on a photo that looked like a colorful curtain.

I have very vivid imagination. I can recall and imagine anything and manipulate the pictures in my mind - rotate objects, cut them, add a shadow, change color and shape...

Everywhere I go my mind creates a virtual map of my surroundings. Even after a few years I can clearly see how the city I was spending a weekend in roads and buildings were connected or how was the plan of the house I was in once. I also remember exact pictures of places I found especially interesting as if I was taking mental photos of them.

The fun thing is however that I can't remember people. My visual memory works only for sceneries, objects and patterns - people are blank figures, shapeless ghosts. I can't remember what someone was wearing, what hair color they had and what their face looked like. They are all just gray unidentified figures in my memory.

But I use the auditory thinking too. I do hear a voice when I read although images come together with it.
It helps focusing. I get double sources of the same information - visual and auditory - so I can confirm I understood it right when I read. That's why I prefer movies with lector+subtitles instead of just lector.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 3:05 pm

I am a visual thinker, object orientated. Sometimes the images are fuzzy, and other times they are detailed, clear and include touch, sound or smell memories. The images are stills or video clips, though visualising people can be difficult, even those I know well, I can see a face but not much detail, it takes effort to visualise the whole person, almost like having to draw them in my mind.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 3:55 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I do a few types of thinking. Auditory thinking? Check. Most of my thoughts have a running monolog to go with them. Visual thinking? I can certainly relate to that spatial type of visual thinking. I think in pictures a bit but the pictures come out really blurry I can never remember exactly what something looks like but I do a lot of spatial thinking where I move things around in my head to see how they fit and don't even worry about what they look like.

But when I picture people, things and places they come out blurry (I still do it a lot anyway). Not like when I try to remember what something sounds like where I can hear it in my head very clearly. Sometimes if I hear someone talk and I'm not listening, if I don't understand the words as they say them due to me not paying attention, I can reconstruct the meaning of their words by playing back the sound in my head so I can listen to the words again, even though I had no understanding of the words the first time. What would you call that? Phonographic memory?

Also I do a bit of kinesthetic thinking. Some my skills are just from muscle memory without much understanding. Sometimes I can play a piano piece from muscle memory without any conscious recollection of which notes where in it. Maybe I'm like that with spelling too. I can most words right most of the time if I'm writing or typing but if you ask me how to spell a word, if you ask me to say what the letters in it are, I'll have no idea unless I'm writing it.

I'm a bit like that with navigation too. I can find my way from maps or landmarks but I'm really bad at following written or spoken directions. I hate it when I ask for someone's address and instead of telling me their address they give me directions to their house starting from a place I've never heard off. I only want their address so I can look it up on my smartphone or the PC or the street directory (even before smartphones I could spatially memorize the way if I looked at the map before I left home but understanding spoken directions is near impossible for me (even with a sometimes phonographic memory, just because I remember what someone said, that doesn't mean I understand it, quite the opposite, phonographic memory is more like the sound of words stripped of their meaning).

That's the way I think right now. I used to be able to think in clear pictures. I can still think in pictures if I'm designing a floor plan or craft, but those images are never that clear. I can visualize clear images if I'm meditating or falling asleep.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 5:19 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
That's the way I think right now. I used to be able to think in clear pictures. I can still think in pictures if I'm designing a floor plan or craft, but those images are never that clear. I can visualize clear images if I'm meditating or falling asleep.

And yet for me it's always been they way I think. My philosophy has changed time and time again but my thought processes have always been pretty much the same for as long as I can remember.

psot2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2014, 5:27 pm

Thoughts are complex. I associate pictures with every thought I have, but there is usually a narrative to the pictures.

Usually, if I'm thinking of something that can't possibly have a picture associated with it, I'd simply imagine written words, but again there'd be a narrative voice in my head reading those letters.

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2014, 5:58 pm

Don't know if this is a given, but I think... silently. No pictures or words, I just think. My spacial reasoning is average. My verbal IQ is classified as gifted.

My other methods of thinking are of pictures, occasionally words, but when I think in words, it seems to more be "after-the-fact" than a functional thought process.

And I think in dialogue a lot, picturing a context where I reason my thoughts and a specific audience with specific reactions. Out loud. My mom is worried for me. XD