Since most college campus have GLBT, why not AS office?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

jonathandoors
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2007, 7:42 pm

Since most college campus have an office to support GLBT, why not AS office?

I think colleges should offer special support to its AS students

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 7:49 pm

NO WAY! AS(Because of sensitivities and desire to learn more at a depper level) support would mean having to do their job! GLBT(or whatever) is just a distraction!

umbra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2007, 8:26 pm

Most colleges do have an office of disability support services, which provides support for AS students.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 10:42 pm

This thread confuses me. What's GLBT?

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 10:43 pm

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered. I think that's it.

AmbientRainbow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2007, 11:40 pm

jonathandoors wrote:
Since most college campus have an office to support GLBT, why not AS office?

I think colleges should offer special support to its AS students

I don't understand what correlation you are drawing here. In UK colleges/unis, GBLT support is only provided by Students' Union and students' GBLT Socs. That is, no public or college money goes into GBLT support and ents.That's probably about right now, GBLT people per se are not disabled, disordered, nor are they discrminated against half as much as they used to be (correct me if I'm wrong here - any UK GBLT students reading?).

As others have pointed out, people with AS/HFA and other spectrum conditions are supported in their learning by the Disability Resource Centres at each college. There's a demographic in here also - 10-20% of people are GBLT in any given population; even being generous, how many are AS? 1%-3%?

Of course, any student is able to set up an AS Soc for social support and ents and will have the full support of the Students' Union. Even I question how many members an average multi-disciplinary campus would offer!

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 3:50 am

I tried to set up a social club for Aspies in my university (in Ireland) in 2002 but I was turned down. I was interview by a panel that funds college societies, they asked me what disease is this? Would we be messing with people’s brains? They were totally racist and ignorant. Anyway, I set up an AS social club outside of college in 2002 and its been going strong since.

I disagree with AmbientRainbow. The next nearest group that my AS group identifies with is the GBLT. Aspie sexuality is, often atypical from the "norm". Also, Aspies tend to gravitate and identify with marginalised groups. I read a book written by Women with AS, many said they joined women’s lib organisations in the 70’s, including militant lesbian groups.

Also, our AS social club is going to meet the young people's GBLT society of Ireland in the next few weeks. One of our members thinks it would be a great idea, he reckons they have many alienated closet Aspies in the GBLT that he attends. Well, we will see.

ExeterChris
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2007, 7:22 am

We have got a disability office here and it is really useful. As others have said, our GBLT equivalent is student run

Setting up a Asperger's society here would be difficult. We would need 6 committee members, and 25 members to exist and claim funding - which is unlikely to happen. We also need to be approved by a vote among other societies, but that bit is easy.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Mar 2007, 4:28 pm

i read somewhere online that autism is a gigantic olympic sized pool, and aspergers is a tic tac in that pool. thats the problem hahaha

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 8:30 pm

The most important reason for setting up a club and/or awareness campaign in Colleges is because there is a generation of Teens diagnosed with ASD’s who are quickly growing up and will be going to college soon.

The numbers with ASD’s in colleges and universities will increase exponentially in the next few years and the students will be expecting the same help and support as they received in secondary/high school. But there will be no help, as if at 18 they are no longer Aspies.

AmbientRainbow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Mar 2007, 4:00 am

Diamonddavej wrote:
The most important reason for setting up a club and/or awareness campaign in Colleges is because there is a generation of Teens diagnosed with ASD’s who are quickly growing up and will be going to college soon.

The numbers with ASD’s in colleges and universities will increase exponentially in the next few years and the students will be expecting the same help and support as they received in secondary/high school. But there will be no help, as if at 18 they are no longer Aspies.

Really good point DDJ. I agree that there'll be an upsurge in numbers.I too doubt that there's any support post-18.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 4:58 am

well, lets see.

ITS BECAUSE AS ISN'T VERY WELL KNOWN.

It's like asking them to get a support service for people with eyes that are two different colours.