Should I take an online relationship seriously?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Outrider15
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2014, 10:13 pm

As an adult it might make sense/be easier; but I'm only a teen right now. I've been in an online relationship with a 17 year old since May. I'm not even 100% sure they're a real person - they have sent a few pictures and there is a lot of evidence they're a real person (for example, friends posting on their timeline - some old friends from high school, other's family friends) howver there are a few things that mak me suspicious as well (little to no family on facebook, few pictures, etc.) But they have shown interest in Skyping, and even sent a few pictures a few times (that definitely look like they wer taken then and there). Obviously if they were a fake they'd try and avoid webcam, not encourage it.

My question is; should I take this seriously or not? If it is a real person, I'd be playing with someone else's feelings here (I am not one to cheat or use). Because I'm not too sure if they're a real person or not, so should it really matter?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 12:33 am

i'm more worried that you are talking to someone you're not 105% sure about. :?

i wouldn't unless there is some real life, touchable component to it, like sending letters or gifts to each other. otherwise that other person can simply switch off the computer and all is lost.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Outrider15
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2014, 5:29 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

i wouldn't unless there is some real life, touchable component to it, like sending letters or gifts to each other. otherwise that other person can simply switch off the computer and all is lost.

I haven't revealed any personal information, one's that could put me in trouble at least.

And, honestly, I don't want to give my address out at all.

That's actually a dangerous move. They could be a completely fake profile, they might even live in the same country as me, how would I know?

Giving my address away means that, no matter what, they'd always know where I would be in the end (at home, I'd be unprotected)

I gave my city, but not postal number to them...Just like they gave their current city (supposedly).

Besides, it's just as likely they might question my profile back...who knows...See, this is all why i dont know what to do.

No harm would be done if they turn out to be a fake or if I end up needing to end things. I can easily get over a breakup.

It's just I can't find a way to see if they're real without revealing too many details that put me at risk...

I guess I'll just wait to do videocam/call, and see then? They'd never be able to get around that...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 5:56 am

How about the girls at your school? They're definitely real!

Outrider15
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2014, 7:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
How about the girls at your school? They're definitely real!

I'd agree if I hadn't already tried, struggled, and failed! :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:50 am

Don't give up yet-- you're only 15! Just be careful with those online chicks!

Another thing LOL....It's ridiculous, with your writing skills, that you get B-minuses in high school English! I know you could do better than that! Aspergers--Smashbergers!

You're 6 feet tall. Just walk with your head held high...and you'll have girls looking at you differently.

I honestly think you have the right priorities, and will succeed in the end....if you don't get sidetracked by cynical philosophical beliefs.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 1:09 am

Outrider15 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

I haven't revealed any personal information, one's that could put me in trouble at least.

And, honestly, I don't want to give my address out at all.

That's actually a dangerous move. They could be a completely fake profile, they might even live in the same country as me, how would I know?

Giving my address away means that, no matter what, they'd always know where I would be in the end (at home, I'd be unprotected)

I gave my city, but not postal number to them...Just like they gave their current city (supposedly).

Besides, it's just as likely they might question my profile back...who knows...See, this is all why i dont know what to do.

No harm would be done if they turn out to be a fake or if I end up needing to end things. I can easily get over a breakup.

It's just I can't find a way to see if they're real without revealing too many details that put me at risk...

I guess I'll just wait to do videocam/call, and see then? They'd never be able to get around that...

smart. good points!
yes i think a video call would probably be THE test to determine if the person you've been seeing for this time is a phony or not. hope it goes well if you do decide to do it (have you already?). easily getting over a breakup is a very good trait to have, i wish i could say the same thing.

i agree with kraftie, your priorities are in their place.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.