is christianity a religion for neurotypicals?

Page 2 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2014, 8:31 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
I put equal faith in God and science, which probably makes me a hypocrite to most Catholics. My own belief isn't 100% exactly aligned with the church, it's pretty complicated to explain how it works for me.

I didn't mean to go off on you khaoz, but don't say all people who are Catholics or some other Christian denomination aren't all smart, it just sounds really judgmental.

I know I tend to generalize. I know that all Christians or Catholics are not that way. It just seems in this forum that one has to really sanitize and break comments down to base phonetics in order to be understood and stay out of trouble. Too many literal minded people amongst us Aspies, myself included.

My experience with believers is that, generally speaking, the only time they place any hope in science is when they, or someone they care about is on the precipice of life and death. Other times believer will use medicines being completely unaware that the process which makes antibiotics effective, by understanding through scientific process how that medicine is going to interact with body chemistry over a period of time is based on the same science that proves the age of the earth is inconsistent with biblical teachings.

Even the most out in left field Theologians are coming around to the viewpoint that believers have got to adjust their understanding of the age of Earth because evidence so consistently proves that what the bible says about this is incorrect. Young earth Creationist theory and fabricated "science" aside.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 11:40 am

khaoz wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
khaoz wrote:
I don"'t think Christianity is a religion that suits intelligent people. Or rational people, be they NT or not.

every one of my sisters and cousins and my mother are Christian. Every resident in all three joining apartment complex are german. i have to help almost everyone with their financial papers, their medical issues, computer issues.... Everything. These people literally have the combined IQ of an 8 penny nail. Not exaggerating a bit

Is German a religion now too? Maybe I'll convert to Germanyism, I hear they have good beer. 8)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Oct 2014, 11:53 am

thomas81 wrote:
all institutionalised religions are the opiate of the oppressed masses.
Don't forget the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm

tomato wrote:
Do you feel that Christianity is a religion that suits aspies?

Churches help people who lose their jobs. With so many unemployed ASD people it may be for them too.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2014, 6:00 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
From experience, I think the protestant church is heavily geared for NT's. Especially Pentacostals and other more "charismatic" denominations are even moreso geared for NT's, and the more charismatic churches are also more likely to have negative views of autistic people. Then again, I may be somewhat biased because I think 95% of protestants are as ignorant as they are arrogant.
"Of the world, but not in the world."

The Catholic and Orthodox Churches seem to be best suited in my mind, because they seem to be more accepting in general. But, yet again, I complain that most of them are ignorant, but to a lesser degree. No where near as arrogant though/

People in general are ignorant. The fact of the matter is that there is a rich philosophical tradition in Christianity and there are countless works out there to tickle our autistic brains.

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Evangelical christianity requires alot of socializing so I wouldn't recommend it.

In fact, you're not worth much to these people unless you can convert people like a traveling salesperson.

At least that's how it felt from my experience with it.

I would suggest to you that those folks are a terrible example of their group.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 1:42 am

I'm born and raised a Christian of the Lutheran faith, and it's always suited me, even if I sometimes argue with church members about gay rights and evolution.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 1:42 am

I'm born and raised a Christian of the Lutheran faith, and it's always suited me, even if I sometimes argue with church members about gay rights and evolution.

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2023, 3:44 am

Protestantism, yes. Traditional Roman Catholicism, not so much. Traditional Eastern Orthodoxy definitely not exclusively for neurotypicals. Apart from long, elaborate rituals and liturgical cycles (strict routines with variable bits), the Eastern Orthodox have a well-sized subset of saints called 'fools for Christ', both ancient and modern, highly esteemed and fervently venerated to this day.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 4:58 am

GMW73 wrote:
Protestantism, yes. Traditional Roman Catholicism, not so much. Traditional Eastern Orthodoxy definitely not exclusively for neurotypicals. Apart from long, elaborate rituals and liturgical cycles (strict routines with variable bits), the Eastern Orthodox have a well-sized subset of saints called 'fools for Christ', both ancient and modern, highly esteemed and fervently venerated to this day.

I hope that you are aware that you are responding to posts made NINE YEARS AGO. Look at the dates please.

Okay so...the Orthodox and the Catholics have saints, and the Protestants do not. What does that have to do with autims vs nonautism?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Mar 2023, 5:13 am

"Fools of Christ" were always mentally abnormal, many of them might have been severily autistic.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 5:32 am

naturalplastic wrote:
GMW73 wrote:

I hope that you are aware that you are responding to posts made NINE YEARS AGO. Look at the dates please.

Okay so...the Orthodox and the Catholics have saints, and the Protestants do not. What does that have to do with autims vs nonautism?

Yeah, especially as I'm an autistic Protestant.
Perhaps GMW73 isn't aware of this, but not all Protestants are alike. Lutherans, the Anglican Communion, and others also have liturgical worship and rituals as well, very similar to Catholicism.

ConcreteDinosaur
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2023, 6:06 am

tomato wrote:
Do you feel that Christianity is a religion that suits aspies? Or is it a religion for neurotypicals? My own feeling is that Christianity is basically a religion adapted to neurotypicals, but I'm open to my views changing in the future.

I think some aspects of Christianity may be particularly appealing or challenging for individuals with Asperger's syndrome. Here are some factors to consider:

Routine and structure: Many individuals with Asperger's syndrome appreciate routine and structure, and Christianity can provide that through regular religious services, prayer, and reading of scripture.

Literal thinking: People with Asperger's syndrome tend to think in concrete and literal terms, which can make it difficult to interpret metaphors or understand abstract concepts. Christianity does rely on some metaphors and symbolic language, which could pose a challenge for some individuals. However, Christianity also offers clear guidelines for behaviour and morality, which may appeal to individuals with Asperger's syndrome.

Social interaction: One of the core features of Asperger's syndrome is difficulty with social communication and interaction. Christianity, like many religions, involves social interaction through religious services and community activities. Some individuals with Asperger's syndrome may find these social interactions overwhelming or challenging, while others may appreciate the sense of community and belonging that comes with being part of a religious group.

Faith and spirituality: Faith and spirituality can be important sources of comfort and meaning for many people, including those with Asperger's syndrome. Some individuals with Asperger's syndrome may find comfort in the rituals and traditions of Christianity, while others may struggle with the abstract and intangible nature of faith.

Ultimately, the question of whether Christianity is a religion that suits individuals with Asperger's syndrome is a highly individual one. Some individuals with Asperger's syndrome may find that Christianity is a meaningful and supportive part of their lives, while others may not. It is up to each person to decide what religious or spiritual path, if any, is right for them.

PenPen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2023, 12:48 pm

"Religion is the metaphysics of the masses." Most people need help understanding the harsh realities of this world through metaphor and false assurance, but you don't need their needs.

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2023, 7:46 pm

"I hope that you are aware that you are responding to posts made NINE YEARS AGO. Look at the dates please."

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a time-limit on topics of interest.

"Okay so...the Orthodox and the Catholics have saints, and the Protestants do not. What does that have to do with autims vs nonautism?"

It's not about having saints, it's about how the religion expresses itself - order vs improvisation, tradition vs spontaneity, intellect vs emotionalism, and so on. The more ritualized, the more autism-friendly, IMHO.

As for the 'fools for Christ', I think they show that there is a place for neurodiversity even within these seemingly rigid and ritualized environments. They are not in the center of things, but at the margins, but they have a role to play. 'The Spirit blows where it will' as the saying goes.

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2023, 7:51 pm

"Yeah, especially as I'm an autistic Protestant.
Perhaps GMW73 isn't aware of this, but not all Protestants are alike. Lutherans, the Anglican Communion, and others also have liturgical worship and rituals as well, very similar to Catholicism."

I didn't mean to offend; I was speaking about general tendencies.

But yes, you're quite right in this regard - with thousands of different Protestant churches, there are many styles of Protestantism, some more liturgical than others, some more intellectual, some emotive and theatrical.

Apologies again if I inadvertently stepped on your toes.

Last edited by GMW73 on 07 Mar 2023, 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2023, 7:59 pm

[quote="ConcreteDinosaur"]

"Literal thinking: People with Asperger's syndrome tend to think in concrete and literal terms, which can make it difficult to interpret metaphors or understand abstract concepts. Christianity does rely on some metaphors and symbolic language, which could pose a challenge for some individuals. However, Christianity also offers clear guidelines for behaviour and morality, which may appeal to individuals with Asperger's syndrome."

I'd say lot's of neurotypicals have trouble with metaphors and symbolic language too.

I hear a lot about how Aspie's have trouble with metaphor, and while generally true, there are exceptions. Yeats, Emily Dickinson and James Joyce have all been given the Aspergers' label. I personally love poetry. I can be over-literal in personal interactions, but this is quite different to a given context, be it religious or reading poetry, where metaphor is expected and can be interpreted (hopefully successfully).