Regarding Alcohol, marijuana and similar substances

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 10:05 pm

I don't do drugs, because drugs destroy dreams.

Angel_the_alien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Oct 2014, 10:14 pm

I think I could very easily become an alcoholic. The only things that save me are the fact that I actually hate the taste of alcohol so I need to have sweet drinks like wine coolers, and I don't like to drive if I've had even one drink so that cuts down on my drinking opportunities. But when I lived with roommates we would sometimes get drunk at home, and I loved the feeling... especially once I figured out how to drink without being pukey in the morning! (Simple solution... eat a regular meal before you drink.) I think it just released all of my anxiety. HOWEVER I also have noticed that I become more autistic when I'm drinking... to the point of actually becoming nonverbal!

As for weed, I will probably smoke a lot more of it once it becomes legal! :roll:

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2014, 3:06 pm

This is a really interesting discussion - many different answers to the question.

Drinking is really the only way I deal with social situations. I used to drink a little too much I suppose, about 2 slabs a week. I really only drink beer, I find strong liquor brings on strong physical depression. Drinking really makes me feel like I am functioning socially - whether that's true or not that's a different question. I drink a few most days, it releases the stress of work and untangles my mind. Without beer in a social situation I find that I remain silent and awkward. Mind you Aspie or not, in Australia, it's hard to find social situations that don't involve beer. I find if I have a little too much I can start to become too ear bashing, as I spend most of my life silent alcohol releases all the words at once.

I like to smoke a little pot - I find the pot will take the rowdiness off the drunk. Just the tiniest amount. Otherwise I like to smoke pot when I'm alone and doing something creative. Again I used to smoke a lot, but not any more. Moderation is good in all things, but as the song goes "one too many ain't too much once in a while"

Love tobacco - a really expensive habit though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 4:36 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
I don't do drugs, because drugs destroy dreams.

I have not experienced this.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 11:36 pm

What about chew? Any of you guys like a good dip of Copenhagen or Red Man? I really prefer it to smoking because you get a nicotine rush that isn't as intense, but it lasts for much longer. Can't believe the MLB got rid of it, chewing tobacco is perfect for baseball. I couldn't imagine playing without it, it's practically a part of the game and now all of a sudden the MLB bans chew in the dugouts. Well at least they can do it on the field.

As for alcohol I grew up in an old world Irish family so there was alcohol in very reasonable quantities every day at dinner. I've always felt that so many Americans are alcoholics because they aren't brought up to have a healthy understanding of it from a young age. I didn't grow up to think "well the reason you drink alcohol is to get drink", I just knew that it tasted good and if you were responsible with it it is actually good for your heart and immune system (especially wine). Of course my scotch habit is a little bit indulgent above and beyond what is healthy, and easy on my wallet for that matter lol, but I've never drank just to get drunk unless we went fishing and bought some cheap beer.

It's funny that I see so many people here talking about getting hangovers. I've never had one in my life because I am always well hydrated when I drink and because I was taught to deal with it from such a young age (beer and wine at the dinner table for as long as I can remember) it's pretty easy to stop.

As for cannabis, it's wonderful because it helps me manage my symptoms, especially when it comes to helping me slow down for a while. It felt impossible to sleep before I started using it and I have to admit I really do like the smell and taste. Just like the finest handle of scotch may be gross to someone else, I find it funny that so many people here say they hate the smell of mmj. I guess it's something you have to acquire. But for many people on the spectrum I'd suggest at least trying it, because of how many ASD people there are like myself who have used it to manage our symptoms. I would recommend it all the more to people on the spectrum with unpleasant comorbids.