Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 9:57 pm

Hard to to tell but it looked to me the student is aggressive and the teacher fended for himself because she started attacking him. I would have a better judgment if they showed the whole video than bits of pieces. What is a teacher to do when they get attacked? Let the student keep beating them? Perhaps teach them how to dodge attacks and how to restrain a student without having to resort to violence. That is what it looked to me what the teacher did and then she started to attack him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 10:01 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
khaoz wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
I don't know. I think the student was the instigator here. It was the student who was charged according to the link.

The teacher should still have handled it differently. Subdue , don't fight.

My dad is a teacher. He says that the rules only permit the teacher to try to talk the student down. If the student proceeds with an attack, the teacher is limited to simply taking the hits. Any attempt to physically subdue the student, such as grabbing at the hands to stop the punches from landing is breaking the rules. So, if you attempt to subdue, the punishment isn't going to be any different from fighting back. The only people allowed to subdue the students are the security guards, who may not be nearby.
My dad also has told stories about how other students have joined into a (onesided) fight against a teacher after it began. Pretty vicious.
I could see how it would seem plausible that a teacher might feel forced to act accordingly to not be mauled. But the teacher should still remain cool, calm, and collected

Good thing I never decided to be a teacher. Stories like this and how teachers can't fend for themselves or have their own personal lives makes me not want to teach. Now what would happen if everyone decided to not teach? Who is going to educate children in school? Maybe that would get the laws to change.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.