Why is "Ghosting" Socially Acceptable?

Page 1 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 6:11 pm

For those who don't know what "ghosting" is, it's basically the act of rejecting someone by completely cutting off all contact with them, and acting like they don't exist.

My main question is: why is this practice considered socially acceptable nowadays? This seems to be a very common way of rejecting someone you're dating nowadays, if not the norm. In my opinion it is extremely rude and disrespectful. I think that if you are going to go on a date with someone, you should at least have the courage to tell them that you're not interested if things don't go well. I think that people do this because they find it hard to reject someone or think that it will hurt their feelings if they tell them the truth. In my opinion ghosting is a far worse insult, because it basically implies that the person may as well not even exist.

If someone rejects me, it can be difficult but it provides closure and I move on. When someone ghosts me, I never get any sort of closure with the person, and I basically can't stop asking myself what happened between us - I find that it is far more difficult to deal with, and leaves me feeling absolutely terrible like I've committed some sort of horrible offense against this person.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 6:19 pm

They're too shy to make a closure.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 7:03 pm

I think some people just don't handle the situation well because they aren't good at dealing with ending a relationship, no matter how brief.
Sometimes the person who ended the relationship can't tell you exactly why.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 7:11 pm

Like you said, it's easier to let the person take a hint than to confront him/her on it. Plus, you don't really know the person, so you can't accurately gauge how he/she will react if you were to say "I'm not interested". Maybe an underlying safety concern?

Jjancee
Raven
Raven

25 Oct 2014, 7:46 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
For those who don't know what "ghosting" is, it's basically the act of rejecting someone by completely cutting off all contact with them, and acting like they don't exist.

My main question is: why is this practice considered socially acceptable nowadays? This seems to be a very common way of rejecting someone you're dating nowadays, if not the norm. In my opinion it is extremely rude and disrespectful. I think that if you are going to go on a date with someone, you should at least have the courage to tell them that you're not interested if things don't go well. I think that people do this because they find it hard to reject someone or think that it will hurt their feelings if they tell them the truth. In my opinion ghosting is a far worse insult, because it basically implies that the person may as well not even exist.

If someone rejects me, it can be difficult but it provides closure and I move on. When someone ghosts me, I never get any sort of closure with the person, and I basically can't stop asking myself what happened between us - I find that it is far more difficult to deal with, and leaves me feeling absolutely terrible like I've committed some sort of horrible offense against this person.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

You aren't entitled to closure. Not from from folks you know well and DEFINITELY not from someone you barely know (eg have dated casually, not exclusively). The folks who "ghost" you? Are entitled to do so.

I find it creepy as ALL get out when a guy I've gone out with a few times (eg 5-6 dates, no conversation about dating exclusively, so we were NOT officially dating) and no longer wish to see calls/texts/emails me to demand an explanation. That I don't give because I don't have one (well, I do: it's "I'm not interested and do not wish to see you ever again").

You aren't entitled to closure, demanding explanations from girls who've made their intentions clear (CUT OFF ALL COMMUNICATION CUZ THEY AREN'T INTERESTED IN YOU) will just annoy them and NOT result in closure so, well, let it go.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 8:51 pm

Jjancee wrote:
You aren't entitled to closure. Not from from folks you know well and DEFINITELY not from someone you barely know (eg have dated casually, not exclusively). The folks who "ghost" you? Are entitled to do so.

I find it creepy as ALL get out when a guy I've gone out with a few times (eg 5-6 dates, no conversation about dating exclusively, so we were NOT officially dating) and no longer wish to see calls/texts/emails me to demand an explanation. That I don't give because I don't have one (well, I do: it's "I'm not interested and do not wish to see you ever again").

You aren't entitled to closure, demanding explanations from girls who've made their intentions clear (CUT OFF ALL COMMUNICATION CUZ THEY AREN'T INTERESTED IN YOU) will just annoy them and NOT result in closure so, well, let it go.

They are entitled to do it, but this is about respect for the other person, not entitlement. I don't demand explanations, but if someone doesn't want to see me again I at least like to hear it from the horse's mouth, rather than be ignored. In the latter case, you always wonder "Did my text actually go through? Did I do something to offend or upset her?" Regardless of what my relationship is to a person or how well I know them, I feel that it's incredibly rude to ignore someone unless they have done something that warrants it (such as harassment or threats).

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 9:49 pm

Jjancee wrote:

Saying you're not interested via some electronic means is all you have to do to not be rude. That's an explanation. Ignoring without first making it clear you're not interested is rude.

Quote:

Suddenly ignoring someone you've had regular communication with in the past is rude. It's also rude when guys do it. I bet you wouldn't like it someone did it to you.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 9:57 pm

Jjancee- although I understand where you are coming from on that, I really hope you aren't justifying the rudeness that goes into doing that to other people. People are entitled to doing those things to other people. But of course there are consequences to every action, good or bad.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2014, 10:21 pm

it seems few people nowadays honor much less understand the golden rule, or that what goes 'round comes 'round. we're making our potentially beautiful world into an inner circle of hell, and nobody cares enough to look up from their smart phone to give a hoot.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 3:52 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
My main question is: why is this practice considered socially acceptable nowadays?

Cause NTs are much more fake than autistics.(and make up the vast-majority of the population). So stuff like that is the complete norm to them after pretending to be friendly with the person. In a way, current technology almost seems specifically designed to accompany their fakeness which is why it seems worse nowadays.

It also usually means they decided that they're "better than you" in some form or another.(At least in their mind)

Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 4:54 am

People are too afraid of retaliation. If it's just been one or two dates, they don't want to continue on, I don't feel I'm owed an explanation. But if it's an extended period of time with more than just "going out" I'd like to feel one is deserved. There's no human approach to it, if someone doesn't suit someone's needs it's always the cold shoulder and a middle finger until they go away, it's rather frustrating.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 5:59 am

I'm not familiar with "ghosting" being used in this sense. I think you mean "fading."

Fading is the most heinous way you can ditch someone. I'm not aware that it IS socially acceptable.

If you are in a serious relationship, this isn't something you'd ordinarily do. You'd have the courage to break up with someone outright. If someone insults you, says something negative/insulting about your mother/friends/etc., or becomes abusive, go ahead and fade them. This is one of those "if you can't figure out the obvious, I'M not going to tell you!" situations. Anything that's an automatic deal breaker, a blatant I-told-you-on-our-first-date kind of no-no. Chances are you warned them that this is behavior you find disturbing and they do it anyway. Block their calls/texts, unfriend them on Facebook, "forget" their email addy, etc. Bf/gf? What bf/gf? I don't know who you're talking about. Might as well have been just a bad dream. See, THAT'S understandable.

Someone seems really cool and you go out with them. For whatever reason, doesn't really matter why, but "there's just no 'there' there." You aren't obligated to return phone calls, text messages, and you conveniently miss a friend request. Soooo?.oops, don't recognize that number?who are you again? Fade 'em. Because if you really have to explain, there will probably be hurt feelings. Fading is the nicest thing you can do sometimes and you spare someone the embarrassment.

Long term relationship? If you lost interest or you just don't see a future in this relationship, you just need to clear your calendar for one Saturday, break the news early in the afternoon at the latest, and be there as long as it takes--at most all you have to do is watch one last sunset together, but by the end of that day the relationship is still over. If we'd been together for a year or more and you give me the fade, I'm thinking the worst: Kidnapping, terrorists, car wrapped around a light pole, pair of concrete shoes for your birthday, etc. I'm calling police, hospitals, and psych wards. If there have been no fights, you've been in daily contact with this person, and absolutely no sign that something is amiss, you don't get to just disappear. You owe your partner an explanation. Doesn't have to be anything elaborate, no "I just need to find myself/discover who I am," no "I just need my space for a while," no "It's not you, it's me." It CAN be if it honestly is, but a simple "I feel it's time to move on and wish you the best" is all that is required. Now, granted, an explanation won't always be immediately accepted. But it doesn't matter?You signaled that the relationship is, once and for all, OVER. Stick a fork in it, it's DONE.

The most effective breakups are going to be the ones that are long in coming. You had a verbal fight. You're visibly unhappy when you're with this person. You stop saying "I love you." You're not as flirty as you used to be, not as much physical contact. And you've brought all this up in conversation before. There are some signs that can't be ignored for long, so you sit down and you mutually come to the conclusion that the relationship is ending. Chances are your partner has been thinking about it and just didn't want to say anything, and it's a big relief once for everyone when it's over.

But you don't just fade someone like that.

Now, if you've broken up and everything has been made perfectly clear, and this person harasses you, constantly texts, calls at inappropriate times, trashes you on social media, etc., yeah, fade them because they're being a jerk. You've done all you had to do and you want this person out of your life. There's nothing wrong with that. You just don't break up with someone by cutting off all contact without first letting them know that the relationship is over.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 7:30 am

Stargazer43 wrote:

I've done that many times after the first date if the girl looked nothing like her profile picture. Honestly, I can't think of a nice way to tell someone that they're far less attractive in real life than their MySpace-angle picture with lots of filters indicates.

rainydaykid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2014, 7:38 am

Jjancee wrote:

Sorry, but this is incorrect. I am entitled to closure, even just a simple text saying not interested is fine. I wouldn't consider 5-6 dates a few times, by then you show interest by that many dates. Generally by that many dates, you have had sex, so that to me is the unwritten exclusive thing. Once I have sex with a girl, it is implied that we are exclusive from that point on unless one of us breaks it off, and notifies the other. Don't leave someone hanging, is all anyone asks. I don't think that is so difficult.

I hate the term creepy, it is a bs feminist liberal cop out.

The_Underground_Man
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Oct 2014, 8:16 am

I don't think it's an entitlement. Providing closure is something good to do but it bears potential costs.

I'm assuming we're talking about being rejected by women in the beginning stages of relationship (i.e. not a long-term committed relationship). Consider that, at this stage, there isn't a substantive emotional connection, and so it may not ever occur to them that you require unambiguous closure in the first place. Moreover, they have no idea how you'll react. I've had a few girlfriends tell me that they avoid outright rejecting a guy for fear that he'll become aggressive. You might never respond like that, but a woman can't know that with certainty. She might reasonably conclude that the risk is too high.

I also wonder if the women described in the OP go full no-contact out of nowhere, or if they don't drop some hints that someone without Asperger's/autism would detect. The latter has been true, in my experience.

One last point: I suspect that a mere "I'm just not interested/not that into you" would not satisfy most of us. I think we'd want to know exactly what went wrong. This substantially raises the costs of a straight-forward rejection: if she thinks the rejection in itself might provoke hostility, then surely telling you why she's rejecting you makes such a response more likely.

Or maybe she just wants to spare you pain. That isn't unreasonable, either.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 8:35 am

Jjancee wrote:

What a horrible POV. I'm certainly glad I won't be dating you. Maybe you should put this on your dating profile so people that feel this is horrible can avoid you? Something like: "I can and will cut contact with you at any point without telling you why and for whatever reason I fancy".

Jjancee wrote:

You are welcome to find it creepy. I find it normal politeness to give people feedback, and not go on 5-6 dates just for the fun of it and then just dump the guy. I really hate people that are like that.