Are you left or right handed or ambidextrous??

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Are you left or right handed or ambidextrous??
Left handed 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Right handed 47%  47%  [ 28 ]
Ambidextrous 32%  32%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 60

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2014, 4:18 pm

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
I voted for being right-handed, but I've noticed that when I eat with utensils, I tend to be able to use both hands to handle forks and knives with equal ability....anyone else notice this?

I don't believe it is just the three options stated. From my experience I think there is a scale from left to right handed , which I would describe myself as mildly right handed. I tend to do most things with my right hand, some with both(Cutlery and drinking from glasses/bottles) and one or two things lefted handed. I'm also left eyed, which doesn't combine well with firing a gun with my right hand!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 5:00 pm

I'm right-handed for writing and fine motor skilled tasks, but I seem to reach for things with my left hand a lot, and do a lot of things with my left hand. For example, I write a letter with my right hand but I eat finger foods with my left hand, open bottles with my left hand, things like that.

If you have a problem with something I post, something I believe, something I do or say, something in my sig, or something I am stupid enough to share that I'm struggling with and being caused pain by -- TELL ME TO MY FACE so that I can defend myself, instead of see you make a mockery of or a dig about it later.

On the other hand, friends will never need an explanation, and enemies bent on disliking me will never accept one.

ASD Level 1, PTSD. Plus anxiety with panic attacks, mild sub-clinical situational depression -- and a massive case of sheer freakin' BURNOUT.

~ ~ ~

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2014, 5:45 pm

I'm right-handed but my fine motor skills are so poor that I even struggle to write with my right hand. Funnily enough, I can use chopsticks perfectly.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 12:45 am

The poll needs more options I think.
I am right-handed by default at just about every task excluding writing and using forks/spoons, which I do only with my left hand (except in very rare circumstances).
There are many tasks I can do well with either hand, but I would not say I am ambidextrous.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 3:38 am

I'm right handed for writing/eating/drinking etc.
I'm left handed for hockey/golf.
I can switch hit playing baseball - but swing low & up left, pretty dead level right.
I try to be as ambidextrous as possible when doing construction, production work, or any repetitive tasks with my hands i.e. dishwashing or w/e.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 4:04 am

i voted for ambidexterous, since that fits the best, but isn't the exact case.

i would call myself "cross-dominant", which means that, depending on the situation, i am considered either left-handed, right-handed or ambi.

for example, i write and use computer mice right-handed, but i use my phone left-handed, eating with utensils is ambi, though i prefer the knife in my left hand, since i'm better in controlling my right (by training).
i throw with left, but catch with right, and deflect with either.

when greeting someone with a handshake, i will extend whichever hand is more practical in that situation, if i happen to have my right hand occupied (with a drink, for example), i will extend my left hand for the shake without thinking about it, but when holding a snack (which i hold left), i will extend right.
if both hands are free, i will extend the hand that is not facing the person (if he stands slightly to my right, i will extend the left hand, slightly left, i extend right).
i have had comments on that, but that's just me, i dont care mostly, but some tasks are trained into prefering a certain hand, like, my preferred drinking hand is left, since right usually has either the PC mouse, a pen/pencil or a fork in it.

also, my finger-preference is a bit jumbled up, i use my middle finger for a lot of index-finger work, and often need to actively remember to point with the index (pointing with the middle finger is deemed inappropriate)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 5:30 am

Lefty

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 6:03 am

Left

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 6:22 am

About half (so far) are righties, but the amount of lefties and ambis is surprising. Seems like more then occurs in general population, but I haven't seen any stats on it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 7:28 am

I believe about 10% of the population in the US is left-handed. I wonder what proportion is in other countries.

I'm not sure if I was "converted" from being a lefty--but there are signs that I might have. For example: my left eye is my dominant eye.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 9:38 am

I'm ambidextrous but predominately left handed. I do certain things with my right hand that I can't do as well with my left hand like use a mouse.

My Mum is also on the Spectrum and she aims with her left eye, throws with her right hand and kicks with her left foot. She's all over the place!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 9:54 am

I always feel my left hand is tired and weak and exhausted, maybe because I use it too much for writtimg and drawing
I use my right hand for nearly everything else other than writting and drawing
I don't know if lefties are really that rare because I have so many relatives that are left handed and I know at least that one of my classmates is a leftie as well

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2014, 10:08 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
You should have put cross-dominant as an option. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

I selected right because that's what I use for most things. However, there are some tasks I can only do with my left hand.

Never heard of that term, but it definitely describes me. I put left, because I favor it for writing, but I favor right for quite a few other activities.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 11:31 pm

I can write with both hands, shoot a basketball, throw a football, and do pretty much anything else with either. Don't know why. The funny thing is that I am still kind of coordinated different with them because when I shoot a basketball with either hand it looks like an entirely different person taking the shot. This has been very helpful as a classical pianist, especially with counterpoint heavy stuff like Bach. His Well Tempered Clavier is like a drug because I guess it has both sides of my brain enthralled.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 3:29 am

Hard to say. I use right for somethings and left for others.
But both hands are clumsy and terrible at writing. Like the opposite of ambidextrous? :P

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 3:42 am

EzraS wrote:
Hard to say. I use right for somethings and left for others.
But both hands are clumsy and terrible at writing. Like the opposite of ambidextrous? :P

Non-dexterous?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.