Is there anybody here who won't/can't drive?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 8:44 pm

I'm 22 years old and I still don't really want to get my learner's permit yet. I don't think I can do it. I don't want to learn right now, but I know all the peers my age drive now, and sure it can be a little upsetting sometimes. And my parents just want me to take the "easy way" (ie self-driving car) instead of letting me have a challenge. I never did anything really challenging before, unless mastering some computer games count. I have Aspergers Syndrome and classic mild Joubert Syndrome (google it). I have more "aspie" issues than usual like unsolved executive functional problems, mental and physical inflexibility etc. How can somebody like me learn how to drive?
How do I learn the needed skill just in case driving becomes a mandatory option for me?

Sorry but self-driving cars don't count, I want a challenge. If my parents think I can't have a challenge, they should be pushing my younger sister, who can drive herself, to use self-driving.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 11:28 pm

I'm also 22 and don't drive. I got a permit at the normal age, but driving scared the s**t out of me so I never took the driving test. It still scares the s**t out of me, and I'm not sure it's a good idea given my lack of coordination, but it's necessary, so I'm planning to get a license soon. I have been driving a bit recently, though I don't have a permit yet. 8O

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Oct 2014, 12:43 am

I cant drive because I have a rare low vision disorder & I have problems focusing/paying attention without zoning out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 2:57 am

I've got a permit, but next to no practice.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 4:05 am

I have always been a skilled driver and I can maintain my 1960s Volga. It is still running but unfortunately vital spare parts must be ordered from Russia. Many of you who read this post must be smiling at this guy who is driving a Russian car. It certainly is different from American Detroit Dinosaurs, but know what?

It starts no matter what weather.
It's electrical system is copied from that used it tanks.
There is no inbuilt computer.
Its nuts and bolts have millimeter gauge.
You don't need a road. It goes in the woods.
You can fill her up with any sort of gas; the carburettor accepts them all. White petrol, if you like.
You cannot be locked outside. You can open its doors by a kick.
No one steals it.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2014, 4:10 am

I'm 22 and have never driven a vehicle in my life. I watched PSAs about how one can kill themselves and/or others with a single lapse in judgment. That terrifies me since I have problems with judging distances, making snap decisions, coordination, and dealing with angry people (drivers). However, I also view it as an opportunity to try something outside my comfort zone, so overall, there's mixed feelings about finally learning how to drive.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 5:09 am

I'm too uncomfortable with it. I think it is better if I just don't. Best way to handle an accident is to stop it from happening altogether.

BlueOrchid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2014, 5:36 am

I can't drive, but i do wan't to. What's holding me back is partly the fact that in my country (Norway) taking the drivers licence is very expensive - first you have to pay for taking the course were you learn basic road traffic knowledge, then next you pay for taking the driving lessons (totally it costs about £ 6000 / $7610). So yeah the high prize has made me put getting the drivers license on hold. Also it's not to bad not having a car either way; you spend less money, not having a car is more environmentally friendly, you walk and cycle more to places (aka it aids your physical health), and sometimes when the distance is longer and time short you end up taking the bus, well taking the bus is also a better option than driving :)

So it's not so bad not to be able to drive, or have a car. That's only my opinion though :)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 6:02 am

I can drive. Going through all of the blah to get a license is what stops me.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 6:17 am

I was able to learn, but it took longer and I didn't have license till around 20 yrs old. I always had to be careful about zoning out, but in time it does become second nature. I think the key is practice, practice, practice... in a safe area (ie big deserted parking lots). Have someone with you at first of course.

I lost ability for several years due to an injury, and just recently tried to relearn using left leg to control pedals on modified car. But that 'second nature' is hard to reprogram and in a tense moment my brain shifted back to default and I totaled our car into a tree. :( So I still don't drive currently.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 7:08 am

I have a license but I will never drive again. After I got my license I drove a few times and I decided being on the road was too stressful. I was able to get the license because I went to a private driving school, which was licensed to conduct the official driving test and which was famous for being very lenient in the driving test. In the test I forgot to use the seat belt, tried to start with the handbrake on, stopped the traffic when turning right at the intersection and parked the car not close to the curb when finished. And I still passed.

I get stressed when I have to make a quick decision and when I have to deal with other (angry) drivers. I have also had some people around me who have had accidents. They were all badly stressed out about the accidents as there were legal consequences, financial loss, emotional trauma (running over someone) and aggressive/dishonest/angry people/"victims" to deal with. My sister was in an accident (she wasn't a driver) and now she needs medication and regular injections to ease the excruciating physical pain.

KyleTheGhost wrote:
I'm too uncomfortable with it. I think it is better if I just don't. Best way to handle an accident is to stop it from happening altogether.

Exactly!

jfc_csc
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2014, 11:04 am

I'll never drive because it's too overwhelming.

ziggyramone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2014, 11:11 am

I don't drive, it gives me terrible anxiety.

Andrew Eldritch

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005241765169

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 12:38 pm

They had Driver's Ed in High School, so I took that, and got my Learner's Permit at 16----but, then my mother wouldn't let me get my Driver's License cuz of my fainting / seizures, so I had to wait until I was 18, and could sign for myself, and got my license on New Year's Eve!! HA!! (I didn't drive that night, though.)

I drive, now (when I had a vehicle)----I like driving----but, I, TOO, have to be careful about "zoning-out" (I have gotten home and not remembered driving here).

In all my years of driving, I've NEVER fainted/had a seizure while driving!! !!

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 3:01 pm

I can't drive, mainly due to being on anti-seizure meds and because I find it stressful. I did consider it at one point, but then I realized that I don't think I can handle it due to the stress and care that comes with it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm

I can't drive at all because of my epilepsy. I do have a state-issued ID card though.