Has anyone ever fallen out of love with ....music !?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 1:04 am

I'm more likely to listen to the same song 30 times, or 2 or 3 songs 30 times combined, then listen to an album all the way through. There was a time when I was looking for new bands and new genres... but as someone else pointed out, music is something to process too. Finding new stuff, listening to a ton of new songs... for me it's easier and better suited to my mood to replay a song over and over instead of finding 10 songs that I want to hear in a row. It's more meditative and soothing.

Whether that's counts as loving music less I don't know... sometimes I'll go a good while though without intentionally listening to music. Meaning the only music I hear is whatever happens to be on a show or movie. When I want something to listen while doing other stuff I'll put on video game reviews or commentaries.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 1:18 am

Serious medical issues which will not improve but will get worse. At my age that is not so bad really.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 1:46 am

My family has experienced this, a few times, but I've never heard NT's be so contrite about anything.

I hope you go happy and find the relief that you're waiting for.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:11 am

I'm thinking of the part of Soylent Green (sorry, I know that sounds bad) where someone's final and greatest comfort is to see the nature scene and hear their favorite kind of music.

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 5:20 pm

It's been a while now and still no progress :(

All music is just an irritant !

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you...

[Sorry, couldn't resist dropping that in.]

I don't now that I've ever experienced a total disconnect with music, but it's definitely not as big a part of my life as when I was a teenager or even in my 20s. And I do go through long periods of time now where I mostly listen to podcasts while driving. Then I'll think of some old song and I'm off for hours reliving the music - or I buy an occasional new album that tickles my fancy for a while.

As someone else in this thread mentioned, I only listen to music when nothing else that requires communication or deep thought is going on. I stay away from places that play music so loud I have to raise my voice or strain to hear what someone else is saying. I can do some non-verbal tasks (editing photos, for example) while listening to music but nothing that involves reading or talking to another person.

Zizu58
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

Well another 4 ( FOUR ) weeks have passed and nothing has changed , in fact , maybe worse . I can't stand to be in the same room as any music .

Baffled and a little bit concerned as music was one of the main things in my life .

:(

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 3:36 pm

Sometimes when I am more stressed out or my depression/anxiety is hitting me really hard I find music to just feel like just one more thing too many to process. So there are times I simply cannot enjoy it for the life of me...I hate those times I really, really do since music is one of my main obsessions. And then other times depending on how I feel might determine what sort of music I feel like hearing...sometimes I am in the mood for more mellow music, sometimes heavier/faster music sometimes just the most obscure thing I can find. Also sort of switch main genres I am listening to like lately mostly been listening to a lot of Psychedelic rock have found quite a lot of newer bands of that style...then sometimes I listen to more metal than anything else, or i might end up listening to mostly goth rock and post punk and such for a couple weeks...then much of the time I listen to a bit of everything, will just put on a random playlist on last.fm of all the genres I like.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 3:41 pm

Zizu58 wrote:
Well another 4 ( FOUR ) weeks have passed and nothing has changed , in fact , maybe worse . I can't stand to be in the same room as any music .

Baffled and a little bit concerned as music was one of the main things in my life .

:(

Have you tried different styles of it? Or just same music you where listening to before?...maybe your tastes have drastically changed. Is music maybe somehow related to the stress or whatever you experienced to seemingly end your enjoyment...so maybe your mind makes a negative association to music and thus you're not enjoying it, so perhaps somehow undoing that would be needed.

I never lost interest in music like that, but I used to love reading it was essentially my favorite thing before music even. Then I went through an unpleasant ordeal and ended up with PTSD and since then its changed and I don't really get pleasure from reading like I used to....rarely do I enjoy reading now. I guess if I didn't have music to fall back on I'd be trying a lot harder to work on this reading thing to fully enjoy it once again perhaps.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 4:04 pm

That must be awful.

I've kind of got the same thing, but it wasn't sudden.

I think my music problem is down to playing and analysing songs to death in the pursuit of making perfect recordings, but yours might have a very different explanation. I'd suggest it was anhedonia. If it were happening to me so acutely, I might want to try listening to recordings of wind and rain, pink noise, birdsong, drumming, spoken word, and poetry, to see how universal the problem was, I'd want to know if live sound was different to recorded sound, I'd mess with the treble and bass to see if that made any difference, and listen to different instruments and styles. The results for poetry might be revealing, because that's kind of half-way between spoken word and music. But I don't know exactly how that would help discover the cause.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 4:18 pm

Transyl wrote:
I'm more likely to listen to the same song 30 times, or 2 or 3 songs 30 times combined, then listen to an album all the way through. There was a time when I was looking for new bands and new genres... but as someone else pointed out, music is something to process too. Finding new stuff, listening to a ton of new songs... for me it's easier and better suited to my mood to replay a song over and over instead of finding 10 songs that I want to hear in a row. It's more meditative and soothing.

Whether that's counts as loving music less I don't know... sometimes I'll go a good while though without intentionally listening to music. Meaning the only music I hear is whatever happens to be on a show or movie. When I want something to listen while doing other stuff I'll put on video game reviews or commentaries.

If I listened to the same song that many times in a row or 2-3 I'd get burn out on those songs...sometimes I find a song I really like and listen to it a ton of times till for a while I don't want to hear it because I've burnt out my interest for the time being. I almost feel like I have to seek out as much music and bands as I can, the more the better but for me its an obsession...I don't listen to music for background noise, if I did I could see all the effort and time I spend on listening to and finding music being more of a hassle.

Zizu58
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2014, 5:12 pm

Error

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 5:19 pm

A big thank you to you both ... The things you both said could have actually come from myself as I can see so much of myself in those posts . ... Strange how so very similar , complete strangers can appear . Maybe it's the Aspie traits / link ??

Anyways ...I've tried every different kind I can think of . Metallica to Brahms and Schubert . Melodic Jazz .Pop .

I've even kinda retraced my steps somewhat by listening the groups/ artists I first got into many years ago .

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2014, 5:31 pm

Yes.

Music seems to have become one of the many 'modern addictions', alongside TV and internet.

If there were a choice between a soundproof room and a hi-fi, I'd take the soundproof room every time.

Zincubus - maybe try a period of silence each day and see how it feels? The clarity of mind to be found when external stimuli such as tv/internet/music etc are removed is very special indeed. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm

I like "pure" silence myself.

I hardly ever experience it, though, as I live in New York City.

I enjoy music very much--but I don't like it when it's constantly in the background.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 4:44 am

sonicallysensitive wrote:
Music seems to have become one of the many 'modern addictions', alongside TV and internet.

I've long suspected that recorded music is too cheap and easy to get these days, which kind of devalues it. In my youth it was quite a big occasion to buy a new record, and I think it was appreciated a lot more. These days it's hard to avoid music.