Mothers supporting mothers of children who have autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 10:58 am

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=32127313

Quote:
...There were resources for families with autistic children in Salt Lake, Logan and Ogden. But not nearly enough near the Deverall's home in Southern Utah.

"I went to an autism conference up north because there aren't conferences or educational classes about autism in St. George," she said.

She met with the founders of Big MAK's, Moms of Autistic Kids, a group of mothers who rally around and encourage each other.

"I wanted to bring that escape and that chance to breathe and laugh to other moms of kids with autism," she said.

So Deverall started the Big MAK's of St. George. They meet once a month and talk about anything from medication, to eating habits and personal space....

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 11:36 am

Good.

God knows no one else is going to do it.

I wish them all the luck in the world.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 1:27 am

yay! :)

[by the way, what is elopement disorder?]

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2014, 5:53 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
yay! :)

[by the way, what is elopement disorder?]

I've never heard that term before but I would imagine it's when you have a kid who is elopes frequently (escapes and wanders away). I have a son who does this- it's up there in the top 5 worst aspects of autism. I've always been told "that's autism", though- wasn't aware of it being a separate thing from a symptom of autism.