Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Other than the aforementioned deficits due to the differences in our brains, we are...
Normal people 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Average people 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Everyday people 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Just like the rest of you guys (or everyone else) 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 14

Kimbosqui
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Oct 2014, 11:26 am

So I'm doing an informative speech on Aspergers tomorrow for my public speaking class and near the end of that speech, I want to mention that we aspies are "normal" people other than the differences that I will discuss. I have the outline written out, but can't decide on that one part how to go about saying it. How would you describe yourself to get this point across?

Bonus question: I want some of my visual aids to include things that show evidence of the above. I'm thinking car keys, Starbucks logo, picture of my dog, and things of that sort. 1) Good idea? 2) Any ideas in mind?

Thanks in advance.

OCD

Aspie quiz score: 148 out of 200

analee
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2014, 3:51 pm

Remember to mention that us aspies have many superior qualities in comparison to neurotypicals. :wink:

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2014, 4:23 pm

analee wrote:
Remember to mention that us aspies have many superior qualities in comparison to neurotypicals. :wink:

IDK, I feel like we don't get to have it both ways. Like, is it fair that we want to tell other people that our deficiencies aren't a big deal, and then still want to brag about the supposed superior qualities that come with it? That seems like having your cake and eating it too.

AQ: 46

Kimbosqui
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Oct 2014, 7:26 pm

I assumed he was joking and I actually considered mentioning that as I read it lol. But you're right. I want my "audience" to comprehend the gravity of the disorder, but also discuss the positives and avoid getting pity or feeling like they see me differently after I speak. That's exactly why I'm mentioning that we're "normal", just a little different.

3rd question: I also plan on putting together an "Aspie Hall of Fame" with famous aspies. Trouble is, most of the major figures are only speculated as having it. I will be including some who have been diagnosed, but I also want to add some of the most recognizable alleged aspies off to the side. I am for sure using Albert Einstein. Which ones do you most believe to have/had it out of these guys? Historical: Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Mozart, Beethoven, Michelangelo, Thomas Edison, Charles Darwin; Modern: Bill Gates, Robin Williams, Tim Burton, Alfred Hitchcock, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson. I don't want to go willy nilly and start plastering a bunch of people that some think may have/had it just because they are/were socially awkward or eccentric. I do want to include people that would appeal to college students.

OCD

Aspie quiz score: 148 out of 200

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 7:49 pm

Susan Boyle, Temple Grandin.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:17 pm

I would think an example of what you do in a day would be a good idea. I like to work out, ride my bike, ski, I have to pay bills, cook, clean the house, do laundry, take care of things for my husband, mow the grass, do groceries. I take showers, brush my teeth, wash and comb my hair, pee and poop in the toilet, scrub the tub. sink and toilet, mop the floors, take the trash and recycling out. I read, I listen to music, I drive, I play on the computer and watch movies. These are all normal things that everybody does. Now I understand that some people on the Spectrum have great difficulty doing some or many of these types of things but not everyone on the Spectrum is unable to do them. And depending on how I am feeling some of these things are difficult for me as well.

I think that just describing what you do in a typical day for you is great because people will see that you are not that different in that regard. But I think you should also mention that there is great variance in the Spectrum and some people have huge difficulties in doing many things that others take for granted.

One thing you should also definitely talk about is sensory overload and how that affects us. A great way to illustrate this point is to get the most powerful flashlight you can and walk around to each person and shine it directly in his or her eyes and ask him or her to do a simple task. You can also demonstrate the point of how it is difficult to differentiate sounds with lots of background noise. You can do this with music. Set up lots of IPads or whatever you use to play music on and have them all playing very different types of music all at the same time and all at the same volume and ask each person to write down the lyrics to one of the songs. You can also explain touch sensitivity. You can have them hold sandpaper and say this is what cotton feels like to someone who has this type of sensitivity so imagine wearing this on your body all day.

You can also demonstrate executive function issues but writing a bunch of unrelated thoughts, symbols, and numbers and telling them to organize them so that they make sense.

I think it is good to show how we are very much like NT's in the sense that we are normal people who do the same things and have the same goals, dreams, and desires but that the challenges we face are challenges that they might not have any concept of.

Wreck It Ralph

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 9:31 pm

Kimbosqui wrote:
...3rd question: I also plan on putting together an "Aspie Hall of Fame" with famous aspies. Trouble is, most of the major figures are only speculated as having it. I will be including some who have been diagnosed, but I also want to add some of the most recognizable alleged aspies off to the side. I am for sure using Albert Einstein. Which ones do you most believe to have/had it out of these guys? Historical: Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Mozart, Beethoven, Michelangelo, Thomas Edison, Charles Darwin; Modern: Bill Gates, Robin Williams, Tim Burton, Alfred Hitchcock, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson. I don't want to go willy nilly and start plastering a bunch of people that some think may have/had it just because they are/were socially awkward or eccentric. I do want to include people that would appeal to college students...

You lost me. I don't classify any of the above as normal, average, everyday or "just like the rest of you guys".

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 9:50 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Kimbosqui wrote:
...3rd question: I also plan on putting together an "Aspie Hall of Fame" with famous aspies. Trouble is, most of the major figures are only speculated as having it. I will be including some who have been diagnosed, but I also want to add some of the most recognizable alleged aspies off to the side. I am for sure using Albert Einstein. Which ones do you most believe to have/had it out of these guys? Historical: Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Mozart, Beethoven, Michelangelo, Thomas Edison, Charles Darwin; Modern: Bill Gates, Robin Williams, Tim Burton, Alfred Hitchcock, Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson. I don't want to go willy nilly and start plastering a bunch of people that some think may have/had it just because they are/were socially awkward or eccentric. I do want to include people that would appeal to college students...

You lost me. I don't classify any of the above as normal, average, everyday or "just like the rest of you guys".
LOL! You've got a great point there! :D

Wreck It Ralph