Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,480
Location: Adelaide, Australia

29 Oct 2014, 7:02 pm

I've got a job interview in a few days and I wanted some tips. I'm particularly interested in what sort of questions I might be asked and what sort of answers might be good for those questions.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 69,163
Location: Queens, NYC

29 Oct 2014, 7:37 pm

Is this for an IT job?

If it is, you'll be asked questions about whatever programs the company uses (you should research the company).

You should have a basic knowledge of the company and why it exists by the time you get to the interview.

You'll probably be asked, directly or indirectly, how you would be a "good fit" for the company. Again, researching the company would be useful

You might be given a test to assess your knowledge of whatever program the company uses, or (if a help-desk job), how to fix common problems.

You might be asked how you would react in certain situations.

You might be asked to "tell (the interviewer) about yourself."

I would make sure I acknowledge the presence of the interviewer once you are in his office. I would offer my hand to shake. Most of the time, a secretary will announce that it's time for the interview. Other times, the interviewer might come out. If the interviewer comes out, acknowledge his presence, say hello. Shake his hand, especially if he offers his hand. When you walk into his/her office, you will be directed to sit in a chair. In some situations, I would nod; in others, I would say "thank you."

Don't say much until you're actually in the interview room, and seated in your chair. At first, you should only answer questions, not ad-lib.

Remember to make eye contact when you speak to the interviewer. Never tilt your head downward. Never tilt your head upward. Make sure you don't stare.

You should do a "practice" interview with somebody who is experienced in interviews.



AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

29 Oct 2014, 7:44 pm

Try to show that you know more about the business than your potential job would require; learn what the business does generally and find one or two trivial facts like the business has a sales office in Hong Kong or the business gives money to its local Humane Society. Being able to chat briefly about these things will show your interviewer that you cared anough about the job to learn about the company's activities, too.

Plan to answer questions in essay form. In other words, be ready to answer the usual questions in two or three sentences. Otherwise, relax and try simply to have a conversation with your interviewer. Offer to e-mail any answers or documents that the interviewer asks or want, if you don't have them with you.

Finally, always send a "thank you" e-mail message to your interviewer the next morning. It helps remind the interviewer about you and your interest, and shows you can follow up.

Good luck!


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2006
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,520
Location: Hiding in the attic of the Arkham Library

29 Oct 2014, 8:15 pm

Be prepared with answers regarding your interpretation of string theory.
Comes up a lot in job interviews.


_________________
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow. I feel my fate in what I cannot fear. I learn by going where I have to go. ~Theodore Roethke


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 69,163
Location: Queens, NYC

29 Oct 2014, 8:22 pm

I would bet that Pretorious is kidding.

WHERE do people get asked about String Theory within job interviews?

This is a serious matter for a person who really wants to better himself. This is no joke.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,480
Location: Adelaide, Australia

29 Oct 2014, 8:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is this for an IT job?

If it is, you'll be asked questions about whatever programs the company uses (you should research the company).

I've got some info on their software, I'm not sure if I need to know a huge amount about it since after the interview they have a four week training program (explains why they didn't require qualifications or experience). It's basic IT stuff for HP (automated software testing).
kraftiekortie wrote:
You might be given a test to assess your knowledge of whatever program the company uses, or (if a help-desk job), how to fix common problems.

Yes, before the interview they have a lengthy test designed to assess both intelligence and teamwork (using Lego Mindstorms, I'm more used to Lego technic but if I can find a place their software from I should be able to learn it before it starts).

Anyway, this is part of that Specialisterne thing to hire unqualified aspies for part time positions. I thought a part time IT job might be something good to have while I study (another notch for my resume and a modest few $300 per week to supplement my pension). My game plan is to be less socially awkward than the other applicants.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Remember to make eye contact when you speak to the interviewer. Never tilt your head downward. Never tilt your head upward. Make sure you don't stare.

I'm fine with eye contact but I have trouble finding "balance" between eye contact and staring. Sometimes I glance away because I think they think I'm staring.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 903
Location: Missouri

30 Oct 2014, 8:50 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Is this for an IT job?

If it is, you'll be asked questions about whatever programs the company uses (you should research the company).

I've got some info on their software, I'm not sure if I need to know a huge amount about it since after the interview they have a four week training program (explains why they didn't require qualifications or experience). It's basic IT stuff for HP (automated software testing).
kraftiekortie wrote:
You might be given a test to assess your knowledge of whatever program the company uses, or (if a help-desk job), how to fix common problems.

Yes, before the interview they have a lengthy test designed to assess both intelligence and teamwork (using Lego Mindstorms, I'm more used to Lego technic but if I can find a place their software from I should be able to learn it before it starts).

Anyway, this is part of that Specialisterne thing to hire unqualified aspies for part time positions. I thought a part time IT job might be something good to have while I study (another notch for my resume and a modest few $300 per week to supplement my pension). My game plan is to be less socially awkward than the other applicants.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Remember to make eye contact when you speak to the interviewer. Never tilt your head downward. Never tilt your head upward. Make sure you don't stare.

I'm fine with eye contact but I have trouble finding "balance" between eye contact and staring. Sometimes I glance away because I think they think I'm staring.


Cooooool.

;) Good luck.

Oh, this, so much this... I struggle with it. People don't seem to notice and remember quite as much as I worried they would, though. :)



ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 371
Location: Denmark, EU.

30 Oct 2014, 9:02 am

If it's Specialisterne, you don't have to make an effort at the job interview to appear "un-autistic" (i.e. make eye contact, have social skills etc.) - just be yourself. Just don't look bored or uninterested in the job.

About the assessment, it's this cosy activity with building a LEGO robot and programming it to pick up a rubber ball or something like that. Again, just be yourself and have fun playing with the LEGO. There's no need to prepare yourself.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,480
Location: Adelaide, Australia

30 Oct 2014, 9:24 am

ok wrote:
If it's Specialisterne, you don't have to make an effort at the job interview to appear "un-autistic" (i.e. make eye contact, have social skills etc.) - just be yourself. Just don't look bored or uninterested in the job.

True enough. My plan isn't quite to seem like an extroverted NT party animal. They know I'm aspie. The plan is to try and demonstrate that I'm not affected by the drawbacks too severely, to demonstrate that I don't suffer from a high degree of introversion.

I don't mind if they see me as being a little bit weird since when interacting with people I try to be slightly weird on purpose as a way of being interesting. Anyway I can do that at the interview, drop in a bit of sesquipedalianism and I should create a memorable impression.
ok wrote:
About the assessment, it's this cosy activity with building a LEGO robot and programming it to pick up a rubber ball or something like that. Again, just be yourself and have fun playing with the LEGO. There's no need to prepare yourself.

I guess that's not too bad but I still feel like I need some prep because I haven't built anything with Lego for about three years and then it was all Technique, not Mindstorms. I'd particularly like some pre-test knowledge of how the Mindstorms visual programing interface works (perhaps they think if I can use that I can use their automated testing software). I'm not certain, but I can speculate that they might be using the new EV3 system.

If I get this job I just hope it doesn't create a scheduling conflict with the studies I want to take next year. Both of them can be part time yet both of them still have to be within daytime hours. Maybe I can request that my shifts be structured around my classes. Either that or see if I can find some nighttime classes.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short