Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Butterfiend
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2014, 11:25 am

I hear aspies talk bad about it. What's the big deal?

AQ Score:44

Feel free to PM me for any reason at all. I like to talk to people online.

"I do not know what I am, and soon it may not matter." -Mewtwo.

"Time passes, people move. Like a river’s flow, it never ends." - Sheik

"I'm not popular enough to be different." -Homer Simpson

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 11:34 am

Butterfiend wrote:
I hear aspies talk bad about it. What's the big deal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_Sp ... _a_disease

Quote:
Autism Speaks's advocacy has been based on the mainstream medical view of autism as a disease: ?This disease has taken our children away. It?s time to get them back.? This is a view that "many but not all autism scientists would endorse." In contrast, some autistic activists have promoted the idea of neurodiversity and the social model of disability, asserting that people with autism are "different but not diseased" and challenging "how we conceptualize such medical conditions." They say the logo for Autism Speaks, a puzzle piece, reflects the perspective of a parent or caregiver to whom the autistic person is a problem to be solved or an anomaly to be 'fit in' rather than an autonomous individual deserving of dignity on his or her own terms.

In January 2008, an autistic blogger, upset with the portrayal of autism at the Autism Speaks' website, "Getting the Word Out", created a critical parody website titled "Getting the Truth Out". It was later taken down in response to legal demands from Autism Speaks to stop using the Autism Speaks name and logo without permission. Autism Speaks claimed the spoof could confuse people looking for information about autism. New parody sites were later launched by Gareth Nelson, founder of the autism rights group Aspies for Freedom.

In September 2009, Autism Speaks screened the short video I Am Autism at its annual World Focus on Autism event; the video was created by Alfonso Cuarón and by Autism Speaks board member Billy Mann. With narration closely resembling the 1954 short Taming the Crippler, which personified poliomyelitis as a kind of grim reaper figure, I Am Autism has been criticized by autism advocates and researchers for its negative portrayal of autism.

In December, 2013, a Facebook page titled "Boycott Autism Speaks" was started to support a boycott by persons with autism on sponsors of Autism Speaks. The page garnered over 1500 "likes" in less than three weeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_Sp ... toric_used

Quote:
Autism Speaks sponsored and distributes the short film Autism Every Day, produced by Lauren Thierry and Eric Solomon. Autism Speaks staff member Alison Singer was reportedly criticized for a scene in which she said, in the presence of her autistic daughter, that when faced with having to place the girl in an inadequate school, she contemplated driving her car off a bridge with her child in the car. Thierry said that these feelings were not unusual among the non-autistic mothers of autistic children. According to the book Battleground: The Media, Thierry reportedly asked the parents featured in the film not to clean house, and the film crew showed up unexpectedly.

In November 2013, Autism Speaks published an op-ed by co-founder Suzanne Wright. Wright's statement sparked controversy and resulted in autistic author John Elder Robison resigning his association with the organization.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 12:38 pm

To put it simply. Autism Speaks feeds off the fears of parents of autistic kids. It's not about helping autistic people.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 12:49 pm

I couldn't really see anything wrong with it either, at least not from its website. Read the article linked to in this thread and see if that changes your mind. It did mine.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt269492.html

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm

for your information - here is the infamous Autism Speaks, "I am Autism" commercial - One doesn't have to be a politically correct neurodiversity activist to see why most people with autism might find this deeply offensive:

http://youtu.be/8mycxSJ3-_Q

- Albert Einstein

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 1:06 pm

They tell the worse cases about it to scare parents about autism to push for a cure. But I hear lot of the money doesn't go to that. They also don't let people on the spectrum speak for themselves.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 1:08 pm

r2d2 wrote:
for your information - here is the infamous Autism Speaks, "I am Autism" commercial - One doesn't have to be a politically correct neurodiversity activist to see why most people with autism might find this deeply offensive:

Yea it kinda reminded me of those Anti-Drug PSA's that ran in the 80's-90's nothing like misinformed scare tactics to fool the gullible... I will say AS did provide a decent overview on what Autism/Aspergers was when I was trying to figure out if I indeed had Autism or not, That along with other Autism sites that I've researched helped shine a light on a long standing problem that I've been dealing with my whole life.

(Just for the record I am in no way connected to AS nor do I donate to that organization.)

Last edited by JoelFan on 30 Oct 2014, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 1:27 pm

I dislike autism speaks as it trys to scare people into giving money for autism, also it does not tolerate people with autism poking fun at it.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 3:11 pm

Did I also mention that Autism Speaks run ads here on WP as well. Right now the only ad that been showing up on WP is from Adobe. Apparently, their trying to shove there Creative Cloud suite down my throat for over a month new and there is no end in site.

Butterfiend
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2014, 3:52 pm

r2d2 wrote:

THAT'S PRETTY F*CKED UP! Just wow.....

AQ Score:44

Feel free to PM me for any reason at all. I like to talk to people online.

"I do not know what I am, and soon it may not matter." -Mewtwo.

"Time passes, people move. Like a river’s flow, it never ends." - Sheik

"I'm not popular enough to be different." -Homer Simpson

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Oct 2014, 5:03 pm

Imagine if a bunch of heterosexuals got together and started campaigning for a cure for homosexuality. Then instead of using the money to cure homosexuality, or better yet, actually help homosexuals, they spent a small amount on curing homosexuality, a lot on anti-homosexual propaganda to solicit donations, and a lot on paying themselves money.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 5:34 pm

r2d2 wrote:

Holy f*****g crap! WTF is this s**t???! 8O 8O 8O 8O

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 5:58 pm

Those characters should change their name to Intolerance Speaks.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:24 pm

They still don't help anyone. More often than not today, they have commercials proclaiming the odds for autism > becoming famous/winning the lottery. They paint a picture of hopelessness, but I don't feel that way. They never bother to ask how we feel.

Imagine a woman's rights group. Now imagine that it doesn't have any women in it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm

They solicit millions and millions of dollars from donors each year - and only 4% goes to support families and family support programmes.
4% is an appallingly low figure in the soliciting-for-charity industry. So they are self serving. That's one of the reasons people hate them for sure.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 10:06 pm

There a number of things wrong with Autism Speaks. One of the issues is that they often portray autism as a disease in their advertising campaigns rather than opting for acceptance.

Other issues include the fact that only 4% of their earnings go into actually helping people who living with autism and their families and most of their funds goes into researching a "cure" for autism despite the fact that there'll never be a cure and the research is often about developing pre-natal tests for autism which is also pretty meaningless to people currently living with it.

There was also a period where they actually supported the idea that vaccines could cause autism despite the fact that there's never been any scientific support of this and that Andrew Wakefield who wrote the original paper describing the supposed link was eventually exposed as a fraud. All this anti-vaccine movement achieved in the end was millions of children getting preventable diseases that should really of been eradicated in the developed world all because their parents feared that vaccines would "give" their children autism but, not surprisingly, the rate autism never lowered. Autism Speaks was a part of spreading the myth that vaccines could cause autism for while, though, to be fair, they no longer support that.