Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2016, 11:25 pm

Adamantium wrote:
I recently discovered that the transitory visual effects I thought were associated with asthma were actually a form of migraine.

When i was a kid i had the typical kind: intense pain, extreme photosensitivity. that went away with puberty, but then the glowing rings and geometric lines started. i thought that was a side effect of low blood oxygenation, but now understand it as a form of migraine.

I wonder if there is any correlation with autism and/or epilepsy?

Have read research that indicates that epilepsy is much more frequent amongst autistics. You should be able to find related publications online. As needed I can dig out a reference.

One of my siblings is epileptic, which would be consistent with overlapping genetics between autism and epilepsy.

I would be interested in research on how common it is to be autistic and to have asthma and / or migraines. I have both conditions, and both seem to have become less severe with age, especially if I take care to avoid obvious triggers. My migraine auras affect vision and taste. My son is also on the spectrum. He sometimes gets migraines with severe auras, not limited to visual symptoms, but also numbness that shifts in location, and on one occasion the aura even impacted his ability to speak.

Can confirm the comment you make below about about asthma and caffeine. Several cups of tea have the same effect. For mild asthmatic symptoms I drink a pot of green tea and then don't need to use an inhaler.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2016, 9:33 am

I get star-shaped ones from light. They freak me out.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 12:41 pm

Darmok wrote:
I have an aura just starting now. So much for being able to see clearly for the next 30 minutes. :(

And here goes another one -- this one came on very fast. So much for the next half hour again. :(

There Are Four Lights!

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 3:19 pm

Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
I have an aura just starting now. So much for being able to see clearly for the next 30 minutes. :(

And here goes another one -- this one came on very fast. So much for the next half hour again. :(

Sorry to hear.

Besides applying a mix of Epsom salts and water to your forehead, face, and temples (Warning: be careful not to get any in your eyes, that really stings bad) ...

... another remedy I just read about is aromatherapy involving mint, eucalyptus, and rosemary (or even just mint and eucalyptus ... or even just mint). I buy handmade peppermint or spearmint/eucalyptus soaps on Etsy. The article I read was endorsing a product with these smells called "Johnson's Baby Soothing Vapor Bath." The idea is, you shower with it, and the fragrance will keep the headaches away.

I've also found that eating sushi helps with headaches ... come to find out, sushi has a lot of magnesium, which makes sense.

Anyways, hope you feel better soon!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 6:31 pm

Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:

And another aura, coming on fast. This seems to be almost once a month now, but they never seem to be correlated with anything.

There Are Four Lights!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 7:46 pm

I have had terrible headaches, but never a migraine aura.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 9:05 am

Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:

And another aura, coming on fast. This seems to be almost once a month now, but they never seem to be correlated with anything.

Here we go again. :(

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 5:06 pm

Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:

And . . . here we go again. :-(

There Are Four Lights!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 11:01 am

MarthaCannary wrote:
I get them, I hate them...

They are call Scintillating Scotoma >Link to wiki page<

Sometimes I get them while driving, I end up having to pull over for a couple hours till it goes away. I always feel wonky for the rest of the day.

I also get really short sharp super migraine that essentially knock me out. Those happen less frequently thankfully.

Another thing I can put a name too , thanks MarthaCannary if you are still around.

And another thing that a lot of people get - fortification spectrum - I can't believe there's a name for what I see , I thought I was a unique weirdo before I came to this website but apparently I'm quite normal here :lol:

I know , I necrobumped but I didn't think it deserved another thread

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 10:06 pm

Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:

And . . . yet again. :(

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 12:45 pm

Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Darmok wrote:

And . . . yet again. :(

And here we go again. :(

There Are Four Lights!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 12:57 pm

Long exposure to fluorescent lighting caused me to have migraines but exposure to incandescent lighting, natural lighting or LED lighting do not. A migraine episode would begin with seeing stars around my peripheral vision. Over the next half hour, these sparkling stars would work their way towards the center of my vision, after which my eyesight was obscured by fields of flickering stars and I was effectively blind and then a severe headache would soon follow. This is a specific type of migraine called an ocular migraine. So perhaps the attribute that some Aspies report of not seeing something right before their eyes may in reality be describing the prelude to an ocular migraine headache attack. For me walking out into natural lighting at the start of an episode would minimize the intensity of the migraine headache.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 1:50 pm

Gosh poor you. They are awfully debilitating. Trigger factors for me were msg (in food, never deliberately ate it but it is often added in Asian cooking especially Korean food) any form of flickering lights or generally being run down. Things that help include - exercise, acupuncture, cutting out gluten and dairy and not letting myself get too thirsty.

I have recently invested in some super dark sunglasses which I wear all the time, that helps too.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2018, 4:20 pm

I get also sometimes a scotoma (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotoma) but first time when I was elder than 45. I hate it because it makes me partially blind on both eyes together. I found a special trigger is caffeine after having slept enough and for this not even needing it. Another trigger is if I'm blended by the sun or blinding flickering light. But sometimes it even happens without a trigger.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 12:38 pm

And here we go again. This one's on the right side. I can't remember if they're usually on the left or the right.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 4:08 am

Darmok wrote:
And here we go again. This one's on the right side. I can't remember if they're usually on the left or the right.

And here we go again. This one's on the left — I never kept track of the sides before, so this will serve as a record of that. I had much too much caffeine today, so that may be a contributing factor. Time to just go to bed this time.

There Are Four Lights!