Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

I'm fed up with being overweight and diabetic, so I'm going to do something about it. This thread is a daily reminder and for personal accountability for anyone who wants to lose weight or control their diabetes, or both! Go right ahead and join me if you wish. I've had enough!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 12:57 am

hiya Fed :) welcome to the club 8) Image
the biggest thing to help me, was to give up refined carbs. the weight just came off and the inflammation largely went away when I did that.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 8:45 am

You should not push yourself too hard. If you do, you may end up giving it up. Finding some delicious veggies that you enjoy eating is a good way to keep yourself going toward your goal.

Once I finish my vacation, I plan to start doing something myself. I'm not fat or diabetic but I do have a bad eating habit. Although I love fruits and veggies, I also love sweets, too. And I am eating all the time when I'm awake and not at work.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

Fed, start with small steps, don't try to get it all done at once. it is a journey more than a destination, a lifestyle more than a number on a scale or notches on a belt. :idea:

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2014, 3:31 pm

I'll try to keep that in mind and only weigh myself once a week or I'll obsess over the numbers. Thanks for the replies. If you want to record your fitness journey along with me, go right ahead. :)

Day 1:

Breakfast: 2 rashers of bacon
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
Lunch: Instant Noodles with an egg
Physical Activity: Swimming
Dinner: 2 pieces french toast

Last edited by FedUpAsp on 03 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 3:59 pm

vigorous walking [like you are really late for an important appointment] wearing GOOD walking shoes, is a good exercise to start with. ramp up to the vigorousness, IOW start out slow if you've not done any major walking in a while. try hard to find good uphill grades.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2014, 12:41 am

That didn't work out too well. I need to take another look at my diet and make modifications before I continue posting in this thread. The good news is I've taken up swimming and vigorous walking.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 1:32 am

that's the spirit :wtg:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

I'm fed up, too. How do I go from the butt ugly, size 22 lard that is me:

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=55172B4E

To a size 00 or less?

I used to have confidence....

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

first off, please don't be so hard on yourself. secondly, what you use for fuel is very important, and refined carbs must go. those would be anything white - white potatoes, sugar, wheat flour, anything mainly starchy. IOW if it is high glycemic index, find something lower on the index scale to replace it. low glycemic index foods take longer to metabolize so you will avoid the ups and downs of energy [and hunger] one normally gets with regular [high glycemic index] foods. another thing is to recognize the difference between hunger and anything else. some people when they get sad they eat to comfort themselves, even if they are not strictly hungry. true hunger is felt in the pit of the stomach and the back of the throat and one's mind gets a bit fuzzy [brain screaming for more glucose]. THAT is the time to eat. there is some controversy regarding several small meals versus 3 larger meals, but if you eat strictly low-glycemic index foods that issue is moot.
then there is the subject of exercise- it is necessary to keep one's metabolism revved, plus if one is dieting, the failure to exercise will cause the body to sabotage the dietary efforts by ratcheting down said metabolism because in the absence of physical work the body interprets the reduced calorie intake as famine and prepares accordingly by conserving the most calorie-dense stuff known, which is body fat. when [during the carb restriction] you exercise vigorously for about a half hour daily, that forces your body to burn the fat rather than to burn carbs. that is the key, to train the body to burn fat for energy. you do this by restricting refined carb intake in conjunction with limited but vigorous exercise [preferably interval training].

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 6:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
first off, please don't be so hard on yourself. secondly, what you use for fuel is very important, and refined carbs must go. those would be anything white - white potatoes, sugar, wheat flour, anything mainly starchy. IOW if it is high glycemic index, find something lower on the index scale to replace it. low glycemic index foods take longer to metabolize so you will avoid the ups and downs of energy [and hunger] one normally gets with regular [high glycemic index] foods. another thing is to recognize the difference between hunger and anything else. some people when they get sad they eat to comfort themselves, even if they are not strictly hungry. true hunger is felt in the pit of the stomach and the back of the throat and one's mind gets a bit fuzzy [brain screaming for more glucose]. THAT is the time to eat. there is some controversy regarding several small meals versus 3 larger meals, but if you eat strictly low-glycemic index foods that issue is moot.
then there is the subject of exercise- it is necessary to keep one's metabolism revved, plus if one is dieting, the failure to exercise will cause the body to sabotage the dietary efforts by ratcheting down said metabolism because in the absence of physical work the body interprets the reduced calorie intake as famine and prepares accordingly by conserving the most calorie-dense stuff known, which is body fat. when [during the carb restriction] you exercise vigorously for about a half hour daily, that forces your body to burn the fat rather than to burn carbs. that is the key, to train the body to burn fat for energy. you do this by restricting refined carb intake in conjunction with limited but vigorous exercise [preferably interval training].

I've thought about going gluten free. I've heard that gluten is horrible for you're complexion and skin. Sorry if I was so hard on myself. Calling myself "lard" is ridiculous especially when I've worked hard to maintain my clothing size.

It's really interesting you bring up wheat because of my gluten free consideration. Sometimes during my...uh...womanly time I tend to eat less, but I eat until the cows come home the day before I start.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 6:40 am

that's the spirit :thumleft:

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 7:59 am

One thing to watch out for are empty calories. Things like white bread/toast, pasta and cookies are about 50% sugar and not much else. Much healthier to eat something like pea soup or beans instead of some toast for dinner.
We really need a thread with healthy and affordable recipes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 8:52 pm

if you need to fill your stomach but without the usual calories, you could make a soup consisting of chopped spinach, kale, shirataki noodles and various spices. it would be filling and tasty but very few calories. the shirataki noodles would help it "stick to your ribs."

RegularJohn
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2014, 12:44 pm

I highly suggest looking in to IIFYM (If it fits your macros). A lot of people who do it get away with eating stuff that normally is not encouraged when it comes to trying to lose weight, like pop tarts, ice cream, junk basically. I've had great results combining IIFYM and regular exercise. Here's a good calculator site for sort of finding a way to eat to lose, maintain, or gain weight, whatever you want. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:24 pm

I suggest checking out myfitnesspal.

You can log all your food there and it automatically adds up the calories, protein etc, and also has very informative forums and the option for friends to cheer you on when you have successful logging days.