Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 3:34 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
take risks only when your life depends on it.

This sounds like good way to starve to death in bed. Even getting out of bed in the morning is a calculated risk. Leaving the home, all the things in your normal routines, these all carry potential risks. Life is risk management.

that is why I said "only when your life depends on it" - one can't live without getting out of bed to attend to things. but I stay indoors most of the time [am captive to back ailments] and go out only to get groceries or pay bills. I only encounter people when I have to.

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2014, 4:02 pm

jk1 wrote:
I think risk aversion is a natural result of autistic mentality.

My risk avoidace is rather extreme and my life is restricted by that. It must have something with my OCD. However, I passively take risks by being indecisive, procrastinating and eventually making quick fatally bad decisions.

I rather consciously try to avoid most "masculine" ways of behaving because I'm against traditional gender roles and "gender-appropriate" behavior. Nothing is sillier and uglier than a man trying to show his masculinity and dominance. In addition it is actually harming men.

This describes me to a T. It is funny and paradoxical that I take much bigger risks in life through indecision and procrastination but am risk averse when it comes to confronting people which is a relatively smaller risk. I believe most NTs are the other way around.

grbiker
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2014, 4:12 pm

rugulach wrote:
It is funny and paradoxical that I take much bigger risks in life through indecision and procrastination but am risk averse when it comes to confronting people which is a relatively smaller risk. I believe most NTs are the other way around.

That is truly eye opening. I have lost much more to inaction and avoidance, than I have ever risked by taking things head on.

I have chosen to ignore the fraying rope from which I dangle above the precipice, and refuse the solid ledge just to my side.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

rugulach wrote:
jk1 wrote:
I think risk aversion is a natural result of autistic mentality.

My risk avoidace is rather extreme and my life is restricted by that. It must have something with my OCD. However, I passively take risks by being indecisive, procrastinating and eventually making quick fatally bad decisions.

I rather consciously try to avoid most "masculine" ways of behaving because I'm against traditional gender roles and "gender-appropriate" behavior. Nothing is sillier and uglier than a man trying to show his masculinity and dominance. In addition it is actually harming men.

This describes me to a T. It is funny and paradoxical that I take much bigger risks in life through indecision and procrastination but am risk averse when it comes to confronting people which is a relatively smaller risk. I believe most NTs are the other way around.

I'll second this.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 7:04 pm

RichardJ wrote:
I am a bit of both, I don't take risky decisions but on the other hand I love arguing and debating with other people and could class as confrontational.

EzraS wrote:
There are plenty of aggressive asd alphas. I wish some of you spent half as much time as me being surrounded by asd people. Then you would know so much of what gets called an NT thing, is really just a people thing.

I whole heartedly agree with you, Ezra, it is indeed a people thing. :thumright:

hmm.. I read that avoiding confrontation is a common aspie (don't know about others on the spectrum) characteristic, and also "overthinking" which depending on the situation can manifest itself as conscientiousness and "avertion to risk". Plus sticking to routine and avoiding new things are basically avoiding risks/unknown.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2014, 1:27 am

I think there are two different things being discussed here - aggression and confrontation - and risk taking.

I am a fairly high risk taker - I love heights and putting myself in dangerous situations (sometimes by accident), associate with rather dangerous people - the way I figure it, and of course it's all calculated, I have been suicidal most of my life and what's the worst that can happen - I could die - SO WHAT!! ! no great loss. Also what are the odds on someone as suicidal as me dying by accident?

As to aggression and confrontation, I'm like everyone else, I generally let it slide and don't enter into aggressive confrontation. But saying that I have had to stand up at some points in my life, generally when whatever it is really wrong and does make a difference. I'm not into changing people's attitudes or opinions, that's their journey and they have to find out for themselves when the time is right. Most of the time aggression is only huff and puff anyway. Organising a test of strength is a good way to neutralise male ego huffing and puffing.