is it ok to put abused kids in custody

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

is it ok to put abused children in juvenile hall
sometimes it's necessary, and there's no other option 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
it's never necessary, and there are always other options, but it's ok to put the kid in jail for 24 hours 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
not necessary, and wrong 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
not necessary, and violating the kid's rights. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
not necessary and child abuse 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

if a child has to be taken from a home immediately due to abuse, the police can put him in juvenile hall for 24 hours, more on weekends

http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Cha ... -2242.html

read section 2, near the end.
the child may be placed in a juvenile detention facility or other secure facility pursuant to an order of protective custody for a period of not to exceed 24 hours, excluding Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays.

they can put the kid in a foster home/shelter. children shelters are open 24/7, and all they have to do is drive then and just put them there, the same amount of time it take to drive the kid to jail. if there are no shelters in the country, children services can put the kid in a shelter in any county in the state. you need a court order to take a child out of the house whether to jail or to a shelter. the kid can wait in the home/shelter until a desicion is made whether is parents are unfit.

if there's concern about the kid's parents coming to get him, the kid can be put in a foster home faraway and not tell anyone where he's going, even change the kid's name if necessary. that, or a safe house with a fenced in yard and a cop, and the kid walking the building and yard freely.

a child who's committed no crime, and who's traumatized from abuse already doesnt need to be locked in a closed cell for 24 hours and treated like a criminal. and there's no reason for this. juvenile hall is a prison, and the kids are locked in a cell.

plateshutoverlock
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Aug 2019, 12:45 am

As long as the kid isn't put in with the criminals, yes, I think they should be able to keep the kid locked up for a short while. A lot of these kids have Stockholm Syndrome, and might try to run back to their abusive parents.

The kid should not be kept alone the entire time, and there needs to be social workers and others checking up and talking to him or her, but I do think it's best to keep the kid under lock and key.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2019, 8:15 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:
... a child who's committed no crime, and who's traumatized from abuse already doesnt need to be locked in a closed cell for 24 hours and treated like a criminal. and there's no reason for this. juvenile hall is a prison, and the kids are locked in a cell.
So what's your alternative, the street?

:roll:

Juvenile Halls (the ones I'm familiar with) have special holding areas away from the general population specifically for kids who have been taken from abusive situations. These are not cages, but they are also not exactly the Ritz-Carlton, either. Many are staffed 24/7 with on-site security personnel, while nearby counselors are on-call.

Abused kids are treated better than you seem to think. After all, they're usually the prosecution's most reliable witnesses.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

plateshutoverlock
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Aug 2020, 2:18 am

Fnord wrote:
felinesaresuperior wrote:
... :

Quote:
Juvenile Halls (the ones I'm familiar with) have special holding areas away from the general population specifically for kids who have been taken from abusive situations. These are not cages, but they are also not exactly the Ritz-Carlton, either. Many are staffed 24/7 with on-site security personnel, while nearby counselors are on-call.

Abused kids are treated better than you seem to think. After all, they're usually the prosecution's most reliable witnesses.[/color]

I have been psychologically abused as a kid, and looking back at that, and my own behavior as a kid, I would rather be locked up if somehow I had to relive those times.

I did spend some time in jail before, and being locked up wasn't the bad part. It was having to make those court appearances and the uncertainty of the outcome that was the grueling part.

I am a bit strange as I kind of like being locked up for short periods of time (I know people are thinking "fetish" at this point), but it's mostly because it makes me feel safe. My parents locked me in my room at night until I was about 8 years old. While I didn't really like it at the time, that click of the lock was reassuring to me, and now and then, I still long for that "click". I think most kids who went through this are resentful and horrified as an adult, but I'm a bit different. I do have a bit of the "adult baby" in my psyche, and I am always longing for a parental figure, even now at the age of 42. Both my biological parents had passed away some time ago and I never had a very good relationship with them.

I hope my post is making sense as I admit, it does sound a bit crazy.