Page 1 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Arlo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2014, 5:00 pm

I love driving fast. In fact, slowing down (other than at stop signs, stop lights, etc.) causes me discomfort. For the record I have been driving since I was 15 and have never even been pulled over and have only been in one wreck that was my fault.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:02 pm

I don't drive, but I dislike being in a car where a person is driving fast, even on the major highways.

You should really think not to drive so fast, as you're not only endangering yourself but others as well. Just because you have not been pulled over and caused only one wreck (which should have been an indication to slow down more often) doesn't give you the right to do that.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm

Acceleration more than velocity.
Driving something fast- yes. Riding in something fast- no.
I don't like to go fast around other people because I don't trust them and I don't want to harm them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:09 pm

Oh hell yes!!

The only thing I liked about my old job was driving home from work; the country roads were always empty when it was time to head home in the wee morning hours.
I'd usually drive 130-150 through the less than well maintained backroads and sometimes a little sideways through corners, especially during winter when you have less traction. I'd slow down in winter, usually in the 110-130 range.

Last winter the only night I came home at 80 (the posted speed limit) was the night my tires would spin if I tried to accelerate faster.

I've only been in one wreck and that was before I started to like driving or practice driving 'on the limits'. I haven't had any sort of accident since I started learning what the limits of my car feel like.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Arlo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2014, 5:09 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
I don't drive, but I dislike being in a car where a person is driving fast, even on the major highways.

You should really think not to drive so fast, as you're not only endangering yourself but others as well. Just because you have not been pulled over and caused only one wreck (which should have been an indication to slow down more often) doesn't give you the right to do that.

I should have went into more detail. I live in a rural area and often like to open up the throttle on long stretches of open road. When I'm in traffic or on the highway I usually go with the flow of other vehicles (about 3-5 mph over the speed limit).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
You should really think not to drive so fast, as you're not only endangering yourself but others as well.

When there's no other drivers on the road there's no one to place at risk. :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
You should really think not to drive so fast, as you're not only endangering yourself but others as well.

I'm talking about driving fast in neighborhoods or anywhere in general where people are. It's a selfish thing to do that in my eyes, because if you like going fast and hit someone in a zone where the speed limit is designated, you have only yourself to blame.

Arlo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

I'm talking about driving fast in neighborhoods or anywhere in general where people are. It's a selfish thing to do that in my eyes, because if you like going fast and hit someone in a zone where the speed limit is designated, you have only yourself to blame.

I can agree with you there. I try not to speed in residential areas. I might even go 5 mph under the speed limit if kids are walking home from school or something like that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

Yes, behaving stupidly is stupid. You assume that people who like driving fast lack the discretion to choose appropriate times and places for such behaviour and just go racing through neighbourhoods for the fun of it. Who wants to have their fun ruined by hitting someone?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:20 pm

Funeralxempire:
Where do you live where the speed limit is 80? The fastest where I live is the major high way (70). Otherwise, it's 55 in the country and 35 in town. BTW, are you driving 100 in a manual or an automatic?

I like going fast, but the fastest I go is when I am on the high way (80). Otherwise, I only go 60 in the country. I like the feeling of going fast but I also feel like I am going to lose control (which I don't like).

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:29 pm

I'm a boost addict. Saab-o-phile and five cylinder addict. I limitered my 900SE at 155mph once upon a time. That said I accept the risks and I'm actually opposed to the very concept of fossil fuel economics. I may see cars as an art form but I believe more strongly in the idea that transportation needs to be simplified and unitized. I like clean air more than I like rev matching.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:30 pm

I'm generally 10-20mph over the limit. like most people. what really gets my goat are people who insist on 10+ BELOW the speed limit at any given time, especially if they are left lane squatters who refuse to pull into the right [slower] lanes in response to lines of cars behind them.

Arlo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I'm generally 10-20mph over the limit. like most people. what really gets my goat are people who insist on 10+ BELOW the speed limit at any given time, especially if they are left lane squatters who refuse to pull into the right [slower] lanes in response to lines of cars behind them.

People that go 10+ below the limit make me feel like I'm going to have a stroke.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

nyxjord wrote:
Funeralxempire:
Where do you live where the speed limit is 80? The fastest where I live is the major high way (70). Otherwise, it's 55 in the country and 35 in town. BTW, are you driving 100 in a manual or an automatic?

Ontario, Canada. 80km/h is the speed limit on most highways and country roads.
Also, manual of course. I'd never buy a car with an automatic now that I can drive one with a manual. I'd consider a dual-clutch tranny, but never, ever a traditional slushbox.

Are you thinking in km/h or mph?

nyxjord wrote:
I like going fast, but the fastest I go is when I am on the high way (80). Otherwise, I only go 60 in the country. I like the feeling of going fast but I also feel like I am going to lose control (which I don't like).

That's how I felt driving my Malibu, I was a pretty nervous driver for my first several years driving.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:47 pm

Sometimes, but I find I'm a much calmer driver these days than ever.

The fastest I've ever driven myself was 197kmh. The fastest I've ever been in a car was riding shotgun @ 280kmh.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 5:47 pm

Arlo wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

People that go 10+ below the limit make me feel like I'm going to have a stroke.

yeah, it's those times that make me wish I had the ability to levitate and soar on past them. Image