Are you a picky eater?
Yes 79%  79%  [ 34 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 43

2cat007
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2014, 2:38 am

I'm curious, how many people on here are picky eaters? And if you are a picky eater, how bad of a picky eater are you?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 2:54 am

severe

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2014, 2:58 am

I'm a very selective eater. If I'm being honest, there are a lot of foods that I actually really do like, but there are only 5-10 foods that I will actually eat. I can't really explain the whys of it. I just get stuck in routines where I only eat/want to eat the same foods that I really like.

Edit: In some situations I have to be a really picky eater as I have a lot of food sensitivities.

Last edited by calstar2 on 04 Nov 2014, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 2:59 am

Yes, mostly due to I only like a certain amount of foods and I have bad reactions to others.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 3:17 am

I'm picky in that I don't eat foods that are too rich or spicy. I like my food more plain and bland, I also prefer to eat the same thing for each meal. Most of the time my dinner is prepared separately form the rest of the family. I find comfort and order in this. However, I'm perfectly alright with eating at various restaurants. But I always want the same menu item each visit.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Nov 2014, 4:42 am

Can't say that I am, no. I will eat most foods or at least will be willing to try them.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 5:56 am

ARFID (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder) is a co-morbid of autism.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant ... e_Disorder

And yes, I'm a picky eater.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 6:35 am

Thanks for posting that info Raleigh... as a child I would only eat certain moist foods, with a drink. Now I eat some foods that used to make me gag, like eggs and fish.

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2014, 7:21 am

I mostly really dislike certain textures and mixed textures. I won't eat ravioli because it mixes cheese and pasta, I won't eat mashed potatoes because I hate the texture, etc. Also, I don't like things with sauces except marinara sauce or vodka sauce. Cheese sauce is unacceptable, for example. I'm also leery of trying new food (although I tried tomato soup this month and liked it), so my food range is pretty narrow. I'm anosmic, so my sense of taste isn't great (I have one, but I don't think it's anywhere near as sensitive as smelling peoples'), so I think maybe texture is overcompensating.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2014, 7:26 am

yes very much so. i can often tell if something is inedible to me based on its physical appearance/smell as well.
some textures i find absolutely ghastly.
for instance i'd definitely throw up if i tried to eat an avocado and i know this without having tried it once.
also i don't eat much to begin with, usually just 1 meal a day if that.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2014, 7:51 am

anthropic_principle wrote:
for instance i'd definitely throw up if i tried to eat an avocado and i know this without having tried it once.
also i don't eat much to begin with, usually just 1 meal a day if that.

I love avocados. I do not like celery. It's got a disgusting taste and the texture is strange.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:08 am

I am a picky eater.

Well, there is not many foods I couldn't eat if I have no choice and the texture is interesting enough but most foods are just tasteless for me. I use citric acid or vinegar whenever I can because else the food tastes like a paper or sand. The only food I can't eat is the pepper fruit (the big red, yellow or green ones). It's still tasteless itself but also has a weird bitter scent that can't be covered with anything. Same with celery and caraway-seed. They have the same bitter scent.
I also don't really like overly spicy foods but I can eat them if I have to. They still have no taste but the spicy feeling hurts my mouth.

I think I am undersensitive to tastes and the only taste I can clearly feel and which I like is sour. That's why I choose sour foods: Anything covered with vinegar or spiced with citric acid, sour fruits and not-sweet yoghurts, sour milk and foods containing cottage cheese (the only food I wanted to eat as a kid were potato and cheese dumplings, I was asking for them every single day). The only soups I accept are tomato, sour cucumber, sour barley or borsch soups.
I also like yellow cheese and mould cheese - they might not seem sour but they give the same pinching feeling on my tongue as sour stuffs do.

2cat007
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2014, 1:34 pm

calstar2 wrote:
I'm a very selective eater. If I'm being honest, there are a lot of foods that I actually really do like, but there are only 5-10 foods that I will actually eat. I can't really explain the whys of it. I just get stuck in routines where I only eat/want to eat the same foods that I really like.

Edit: In some situations I have to be a really picky eater as I have a lot of food sensitivities.

Yeah I hear where you're coming, Theres only 10 or 15 things I can actually eat (mostly diary items). In certain situations I can be really picky, It's kinda hard to explain why. Also sometimes when my mom makes dinner, she has to make something separate for me, because I don't usually eat what they eat.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2014, 3:23 pm

I'm less picky than I used to be. At least I'm willing to try more stuff out. You can always spit it back out, right? If you're by yourself anyway. If you're with people, maybe discretely into a napkin or make sure you take a very small bite knowing you'll have to swallow it. Tastes do change. I like things now I couldn't stand when I was younger and vice versa.

I also tend to eat the same things for long periods until I get over them and switch to something else. For a long time it was hot dogs in buns for lunch. Now it's peanut butter sandwiches (on toast; untoasted bread plus peanut butter is too gummy).

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:05 pm

I'm much less picky than I used to be, I'm even eating eggs and tomatoes these days, long my biggest problem foods. I'm still not big on slimy or gelatinous things, but they don't make me gag like they used to.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

Weird thing for me is, I think I used to be slightly less picky as a kid, and I still wouldn't really consider myself to be picky. My mom says I'd basically eat whatever she gave me, with very few exceptions. She says I'd eat tomatoes l like apples as a kid, and my skin would get pretty irritated from the acidity if it, but apparently I didn't notice or care. I don't think I'd like doing that now :lol:

- Sherlock Holmes