Why do some Aspies dislike their food being touched?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:10 pm

EzraS wrote:
I actually like to mix my food together. Maybe that makes me an ASD oddball in this case :P

But I think for those who don't want their food touching, it's an order thing. Which I can relate to. A place for everything and everything in it's place. And when I think about it, getting food piled on a plate at a buffet there are certain items I didn't want next to each other. Like if a cookie was added to the plate, I would want it off to the side so it didn't absorb gravy or whatever.

I'm with him on both points.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:13 pm

I've seen some people put both ketchup and gravy on their french fries. I think that's gross. It looks like bloody barf or something. :eew:
Strange thing, this ketchup. It's a surprise wars haven't started due to people's conflicting opinion's of what it should or shouldn't be put on. Some people think it's good on mac and cheese, but I think it's nasty. I like it on scrambled eggs, but other people go, "ewww" On the other hand, some Americans seem to firmly believe that putting ketchup on a hot dog is an act of pure evil, and they've even said that ketchup is actually banned at some stadiums. I guess I'll never go to such stadiums if I visit the US. :? I don't care for mustard because it's too sour, unless it's honey mustard, but I can tolerate it when it's with ketchup and relish.

I have two nieces who will not eat spaghetti with sauce on it at all, it's just a pile of pasta, and my sister-in-law used to buy them Kraft mac and cheese but not make them the cheese sauce. So I was like, "Then why don't you just buy a big bag of dry macaroni instead??" :?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:24 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
On the other hand, some Americans seem to firmly believe that putting ketchup on a hot dog is an act of pure evil, and they've even said that ketchup is actually banned at some stadiums. I guess I'll never go to such stadiums if I visit the US. :? I don't care for mustard because it's too sour, unless it's honey mustard, but I can tolerate it when it's with ketchup and relish.

It's not America in general, it's Chicago. Chicago has a very specific style of hot dog and that's what most places in Chicago sell. You get fresh tomatoes on the hot dog instead and they will treat you like a blasphemer for daring to suggest putting that stuff on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_hot_dog

I don't blame them, it would be a crime against cuisine to put ketchup on a Chicago style hot dog.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2014, 9:33 pm

I despise gravy.

And for me, not having my food touching is more of a cosmetic issue than anything. As sad as it sounds, I like my food to look like it does in restaurant displays. I think this is just my being prissy more than anything, though.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:51 pm

Some things go together, others don't. That's just how I see it. Even though things that end up on my plate may be seperate at first, inevitably things end up mixing together, and I actually like combining strange things to see how well they go with one another. If I'm eating two different things that I don't want to combine, then I'll serve them on seperate plates.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 12:00 am

Transyl wrote:
Another thing is I tend to eat one thing until it's gone then move on to the next item.

I do the opposite, try to make each mouthful consist of everything, because the tastes suit each other and are better if combined evenly IMO.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 2:56 am

I don't like my food touching. The taste/texture is bad and overwhelming. I put things likely to result in contamination on a separate plate and try to keep things on the same plate as far from each other as possible, or put some of it on a napkin if necessary. When I was a kid I even had to have a separate utensil for each dish. Now I just try to get everything off of the utensil before moving to the next dish.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 3:51 am

I don't think it's necessarily an "Aspie" thing.

I don't like different things mixing on the plate because that is likely to produce undesirable tastes and/or textures, ruining two or more otherwise delicious foods. I'm sure non-autistic wouldn't like that, either.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:04 am

jk1 wrote:
I don't think it's necessarily an "Aspie" thing.

I don't like different things mixing on the plate because that is likely to produce undesirable tastes and/or textures, ruining two or more otherwise delicious foods. I'm sure non-autistic wouldn't like that, either.

Well I don't think how one likes their food is related to AS either, unless its very extreme. Yesterday I had dinner with my boyfriends family, and his brothers wife laid stuff out in dishes because she said that everyone likes their food differently, and his family are all NTs. My mum actually has a note pinned up on the wall to remind her how her friends or family like to have their tea or coffee, otherwise people won't drink it if it's not how they prefer it. So yeh, you're right there. Maybe this thread should be moved to the random discussion. :)

Last edited by Joe90 on 05 Nov 2014, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:08 am

When I was younger, I never had an issue with my food touching. It was not until I was socialized to think that food should always be separate, that I began to not like my food touching. Now, it depends. If the food is a casserole (all mixed up), then obviously I am find with it. However, when it is not a casserole, then it depends. I mean, is the food of similar variety/ texture? Would they taste good mixed together? For example, I would never put dessert on my dinner plate, but do not mind when gravy from mashed potatoes is touching the meat dish. So, for me: main dishes can touch but never dessert and a main dish.