Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

04 Nov 2014, 11:33 pm

E2LA here. Yes, I did vote in my elections today; I voted by mail weeks before. But I have some things to say.

Even though Republicans have control of both chambers of Congress after this election, I say, "What's the difference?" Nothing will get done, methinks, and things will just stay the same, even before the election. Which is why I'm jaded with the state of politics in my country. Why else? Well, everyone is just too polarized these days to compromise as well. Our media is just only driving that point home. So I say *sigh* And I hope something can be fixed about this sooner rather than later. It's a sad state of affairs, really.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 11:40 pm

Especially if the Republicans continue tilting at windmills trying to get rid of Obamacare - they might have the majority, but hardly a decisive or big enough of a one to accomplish that right wing wet dream.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 11:41 pm

Especially if the Republicans continue tilting at windmills trying to get rid of Obamacare - they might have the majority, but hardly a decisive or big enough of a one to accomplish that right wing wet dream.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 11:59 pm

While I was expecting my candidates to loose (third party), I wish they got a bigger percentage of the vote, which makes me sad. What make me even more sad is half these dolts that got elected are not even conservative. Barry Goldwater is probably rolling over in his grave, ditto for Howard Buffet.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 12:07 am

http://www.cracked.com/article_20705_5- ... rc=fanpage - From Cracked, this will surprise you about how the US political system is rigged in more ways than one.....

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 3:13 am

That's just how I feel with the political system these days...... slowly, the 'lesser of two evils' are becoming harder to see by the day.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 3:24 am

In a parliamentary system, the PM has to resign when he loses the majority and new elections will be held.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 3:31 am

I wonder how a parliamentary system would have worked out in America from the outset?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

^ On another note, did you know that voting is compulsory in Australia? What if the US had similar provision? I think things would be much different.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm

equestriatola wrote:
^ On another note, did you know that voting is compulsory in Australia? What if the US had similar provision? I think things would be much different.

the difference is that multiple GOPers here have said multiple times, out in public and on the record, that they don't want everybody [especially not working class or minorities or gays or "non-traditional" women or liberals who presumably would vote democratic] voting because it cuts into their election victory margins. they wanna restrict the franchise to rich white property owners just like way back when.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Nov 2014, 9:12 pm

People shouldn't be forced to vote, not voting is an expression in of itself. Some people don't care, some don't feel they're educated enough, or maybe they just don't like the options that they're given. This election was repudiation of Obama's policies, people like him more personally(less and less every day it seems) than they like what he does and there is a difference. Are the Republicans much better? Doubtful but people don't want Obama and that is the alternative they're given. Now Obama has to work with Republicans, he can't work from a partisan standpoint any more if he wants to get anything done. This is a check in our system, Obama is not dictator. Gridlock is better than bad government and now Obama has effectively been neutered from doing any more harm.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:14 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Gridlock is better than bad government and now Obama has effectively been neutered from doing any more harm.

you want gridlock, you got it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Gridlock is better than bad government and now Obama has effectively been neutered from doing any more harm.

you want gridlock, you got it.

Gridlock is fine given the alternative, policy should be debated and fought over in the court of public opinion because we do not live in a dictatorship. Obama has been repudiated, I'm in sure in 2 years assuming that the GOP maintains its control of congress would prefer a divided government than total GOP control of all branches of government. Divided government ensures that all opinions be heard, it is a legitimate expression of our democracy. Our government was made to not operate easily, this is by design that things move at the pace they do.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:22 pm

and while we bicker over going left or right, the ship of state will hit the iceberg.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:23 pm

I actually do prefer gridlock, as the only things politicians can agree on are enriching themselves and giving themselves more power; I get nervous when they get bipartisan, that's when we get real abominations like the PATRIOT act.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 9:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
and while we bicker over going left or right, the ship of state will hit the iceberg.

better to take our chances cast adrift rather than the powering straight towards it