Page 14 of 15 [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 7:41 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:

It is interesting you would use this analogy with magic, I am reading a book on the history of science in antiquity to 1700, and during the scientific revolution of the renaissance this is exactly what magic was seen as, ie the magic of the natural world, and understanding this magic to further knowledge. I also find it astounding that for centruies theologians would accept that if natural philosophy showed scripture to be wrong then it was scripture that should be altered, St Thomas Aquinas is a prime example. ANd yet here we are with the full knowledge of scientific discoverys literally at our fingertips and we are debating fools who would deny all knowledge in favour of their "common sense" belief.

On common sense I like this quotation by a person Oldavid would no doubt describe as an old fool who had no idea what he was talking about;

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen

Culture, in general, by the time one reaches 18 can almost entirely rob people of the common sense of basic human homeostasis.

Ever since humans started becoming sedentary creatures WORLDWIDE religions have been working OVERtime to find a way back to common sense PER simple animal homeostasis through complex forms of meditation, chants, and or prayer, AND ETC., ETC., etc.

Even the basic common sense of NOT sitting sedentary and rarely moving is escaping the purview of the 'herd' these days, OVERALL.

That's just plain Insanity.

And truly as Einstein also NOTED, folks who do that over and over again, (the sitting still thingy) and expect to feel better are exercising the Einstein definition of Insanity BY NOT EXERCISING AT ALL.

FULL Physical intelligence, IS the kind that can balance ITSELF through distance and space as science now shows regulates both emotional intelligence and sensory integration.

MOST PEOPLE FAIL MISERABLY ON THAT.

THE RATES of childhood obesity and pre-type two diabetes at almost one-third of U.S. school age children is evidence enough of that, of course with sky-rocketing rates of usage of anti-depressants, and close to half the population using some type of pain killer.

Our ancestors just a generation or two ago, HAD THIS COMMON SENSE, but it's drifting away TO close to nothing for MOST PEOPLE now.

Generally speaking, people do not do the MOST BASIC of common sense ACTIONS just to be at peace in their mind AND BODY (including emotional regulation and sensory integration) these days as they are too busy doing mental masturbation of illusory fears and irrational ways of behaving LIKE SITTING STILL ALL DAY in THE REAL WORLD, instead.

To understand that GOD is Mother Nature True and to UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HELL human nature even is, and how to master IT is ONLY THE FIRST STEP TO TRUE HUMAN WISDOM otherwise known as REAL COMMON SENSE, AS the GOD of Mother Nature way WILL HAVE HER WAY, by way of human nature, too.

THE REALITY is Mother Nature is our GOD and 'WE' ARE ALL slaves to her way, OR 'WE' DO PAY the consequences as statistics DO SHOW NOW.

And yes, there is at least SOME EVIDENCE OF THAT HERE, per that common sense thingy.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 9:53 pm

Oldavid wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Think we should put the old bugger out of its misery with facts?

Give it a try if you think it will work.

Unfortunately we don't. The only "facts" you will ever accept are either ones you make up, or the occasional scientific theory that by way of your warped logic seems to you to fit your ridiculous ideology.
I've not claimed any ideology other than science and reason. Your ideology cannot tolerate either.
ImageYou haven't applied any science or logic just pseudoscience gathered non other from sources like Answers In Genesis.org ImageThese documents state that you deny evolution and say it is all a myth and that the Earth is only 6000 years old yet we have proof otherwise!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 2:30 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
You haven't applied any science or logic just pseudoscience gathered non other from sources like Answers In Genesis.org These documents state that you deny evolution and say it is all a myth and that the Earth is only 6000 years old yet we have proof otherwise!
So far I have not got past the absolute basics of science and logic. There's just about nothing that is beyond ordinary High School science from when I was in High School. There's nothing in my logic that is beyond the most basic necessities required for being able to think at all; that is rudimentary skills in reason and comprehension.

I only endured a little bit of Ken Ham many years ago... he waffles too much and misses the point too often for my liking. Answers in Genesis is mainly published by, and for, people who do not share my main interests. I have read several articles published by them many years ago... some good, some not very useful at all.

I knew you'd get frantic when I kicked your Sacred Cow and declined to admire the "King's New Clothes" because there's nothing else you can do.

You have most adequately demonstrated what I said at the beginning: Materialism is a purely ideological prejudice with no basis in real science.

Now I am bored with your emotionally charged opprobrium that you think "scientifically proves" your irrational beliefs. If there's no one who wants to pursue the matter in a rational way (there's much, much more) I'd rather be exchanging clever quips with clever quirkies.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 4:03 am

Oldavid wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
You haven't applied any science or logic just pseudoscience gathered non other from sources like Answers In Genesis.org These documents state that you deny evolution and say it is all a myth and that the Earth is only 6000 years old yet we have proof otherwise!
So far I have not got past the absolute basics of science and logic. There's just about nothing that is beyond ordinary High School science from when I was in High School. There's nothing in my logic that is beyond the most basic necessities required for being able to think at all; that is rudimentary skills in reason and comprehension.

I only endured a little bit of Ken Ham many years ago... he waffles too much and misses the point too often for my liking. Answers in Genesis is mainly published by, and for, people who do not share my main interests. I have read several articles published by them many years ago... some good, some not very useful at all.

I knew you'd get frantic when I kicked your Sacred Cow and declined to admire the "King's New Clothes" because there's nothing else you can do.

You have most adequately demonstrated what I said at the beginning: Materialism is a purely ideological prejudice with no basis in real science.

Now I am bored with your emotionally charged opprobrium that you think "scientifically proves" your irrational beliefs. If there's no one who wants to pursue the matter in a rational way (there's much, much more) I'd rather be exchanging clever quips with clever quirkies.
ImageCare to provide your young Earth Creationism evidence to NASA and the USGS showing all their findings and research as incorrect? They provide mountains of evidence while you provide none the odds are stacked against you Im afraid.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 12:05 pm

Oldavid wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

what a load of nonsense, you have been proven incorrect, and are sounding increasingly delusional, rather than make these irrational posts why don't you attempt to dispute (with rational evidence) my assertion that you are completely wrong about the second law of thermodynamics and that I have comprehensively demonstrated this? You are nothing but bluster and hot air.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 12:27 pm

Oldavid wrote:
So far I have not got past the absolute basics of science and logic.

My nephew has a similar problem with algebra. Perhaps you should consider pursuit of a different discipline?

dimwit79
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm

If you're an atheist and spending so much time thinking about the God concept, then not only are you just as enslaved as religious people, you don't even get the benefits of being a believer. Which would put being an atheist but spending tons of time still thinking about God below being a believer in the scheme of things. Certainly doesn't seem like being an atheist has freed the OP at all, not when most of their thoughts are so futile.

The only way to make atheism something that genuinely frees you is to decide that you don't believe in God and to then purge yourself of all religious thoughts for good.

And please don't give me crap about saving other people being a worthwhile way to spend your time somehow making your own thoughts of God valid, if you're an atheist and spend your time thinking about something you don't believe in, trying to convince others to believe in your nothing, then your life is pathetic.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 4:13 pm

BS. I have no belief in any sort of supernatural phenomenon, yet I do not stalk the multitude of paranormal/ghost forums arguing against their beliefs. Why is that? Simple these people do not require states to form laws which conform to their belief in ghosts, they do not as a matter of ideology demand that homosexuals have lesser rights than heterosexuals, neither do they use their ideology to picket abortion clinics, nor do they attempt to subvert the teaching of rational science in schools and us fear to brainwash their children into believing what they do.

In short the religion is an ideology that tries to subvert all to its way of life, other nonsense beliefs do not. It is not the nonsense I am fighting it is the attempt to force others to live by it.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 5:02 pm

dimwit79 wrote:
If you're an atheist and spending so much time thinking about the God concept, then not only are you just as enslaved as religious people, you don't even get the benefits of being a believer. Which would put being an atheist but spending tons of time still thinking about God below being a believer in the scheme of things. Certainly doesn't seem like being an atheist has freed the OP at all, not when most of their thoughts are so futile.

The only time I'm actually thinking about it is when I'm composing a post in one of the religion-themed threads on PPR. This amounts to probably 20 minutes a week. And even then I am always arguing from a science based view and so spend the majority of that composition time finding the proper wording to discuss the science and finding the proper web links.

If you look at my contributions in this thread, you'll see that I spent my posting time discussing the Miller-Urey flask experiment. Reviewing it was time well spent for me and not particularly religious (or anti-religious) other than giving a naturalistic explanation for things that religious people give a supernatural explanation for.

Other posters bring different scientific angles. I am weak in physics knowledge and so always appreciate learning from the posters who have that as an area of strength.

And as DentArthurDent points out above, the stakes are high. No person who comes here to argue pro-religion will ever be swayed but I don't consider them the audience anyway. It's the lurkers (and who knows how many there are) who are on the fence and looking for arguments to nudge them one way or the other. I know that when I am undecided or waffling about something, it helps to watch other people who have strong opinions pro and con so I can see who has the more plausible argument. You may find this pathetic. I do not.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 5:04 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Is it just me, or is Oldavid now debating with a comic strip in which he's been cast as the villain?
Hes the villain alright! :P

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 8:13 pm

Oldavid wrote:

Now I am bored with your emotionally charged opprobrium that you think "scientifically proves" your irrational beliefs.

I've had students who excelled at this trick. When pushed, they try to put you on the back foot, claiming some inadequacy on your part, rather than coming out from hiding, let alone admitting any inadequacy on their part. The thing I've observed about such people is that you can never have a real conversation with them because they just don't seem to know how to. I won't go into theories or what I've observed, but it's very much akin to an ASD trait on a discrete part of the spectrum. Perhaps David should try the rdos test.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:09 pm

Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

Now I am bored with your emotionally charged opprobrium that you think "scientifically proves" your irrational beliefs.

I've had students who excelled at this trick. When pushed, they try to put you on the back foot, claiming some inadequacy on your part, rather than coming out from hiding, let alone admitting any inadequacy on their part. The thing I've observed about such people is that you can never have a real conversation with them because they just don't seem to know how to. I won't go into theories or what I've observed, but it's very much akin to an ASD trait on a discrete part of the spectrum. Perhaps David should try the rdos test.
He cannot admit defeat and and uses pseudoscience followed by arrogance to make him sound smart and like he has the upper hand but is only backing up to a cliff, kind of like what Shep did.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 2:21 am

Can we please stop ganging up on one member here? Or has this thread overreached its capacity.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 6:22 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Can we please stop ganging up on one member here? Or has this thread overreached its capacity.
Let'm go. It'll take a bit more rope for them all to hang themselves.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 6:24 am

Hey, have you read his posts. All we are doing is reacting to his arrogant and offensive demeanor. Maybe just maybe he might see this and modify his behavior. He came on this thread proud of the fact that he had been run off several forums in the past, and then lurched into a tirade of ridicule and offensive remarks.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:03 am

OK, thread closed.