Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2014, 7:31 pm

I am in a very bad situation, & I see this might be a problem for other adult autistics in the future. I am in the disability process for more than just autism...ptsd and a serious neurological problem. I was staying with (abusive) family and suddenly I was told I needed to leave for my own safety. At least THEY saw it coming and warned me early enough to avoid an extremely dangerous family member...this time. I really shouldn't have anything to do with my family. :-(
Sad but true.
So, I had ptsd issues again, & got that taken care of. We tried to find a local place to get a safe roof over my head, but I don't meet the criteria:
I am not a recovering addict.
I am not a recovering alcoholic.
I am not a single mom. I have few real friends.
I did not wait to get hit this time, & so technically not "abused" by local shelter definitions.
The hospital here is like hell for autistics. I mentioned it to the head of staff and she agreed...a separate place is needed for us. Vibration, noise, busy, chaotic, violent people, excessive social daily programs, a bully or two on staff...& that's not all.
My attorney is trying to expedite my case but I am still looking at weeks or months of probable homelessness. I am on lists for public housing/Hud/Sec8.
They say I have the kind of case which slips between the cracks.
Are there options I am not seeing?
Has anybody had luck with independent/assisted living?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:36 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this. Where are you located?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 11:21 pm

the domestic abuse shelters around here will take people in even for verbal abuse. maybe you can get them to reconsider. really sounds like you qualify.

SickPuppy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2014, 1:34 am

I was homeless once. There usually won't be a quick solution, everything takes time, you are going to hear this a lot. Programs are going to vary by area so it is going to be really difficult for anyone on here to tell you what to do. Housing programs everywhere have long waiting lists and if you haven't started receiving your disability benefits you most likely won't even qualify yet. Until then get on food stamps and see if your state has any kind of financial assistance while you are waiting for your disability benefits, it won't be much but it's better than nothing. Find other shelters in the area, go to another nearby town if you have to, don't just try shelters that are for abused women, go to whatever shelter you can get in to, just don't bring anything that is valuable and stay to yourself and you'll be fine, some of them can even assist you with getting in to the various housing programs, it all just takes time though, if you can be patient things will work out good in the end.

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2014, 5:24 am

Thanks for the replies. Yes, patience has been the name of the "game" all year.
I am located in AR.
My biggest problem with a shelter will probably be the noise level. I did get food assistance, and I am proof Obamacare works!

SickPuppy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

I met someone from Arkansas when I was homeless, he told me that apartments were very cheap there in some parts and told me that you could pretty much afford somewhere to live by donating plasma a few times a month at various places. I don't know how accurate he was being on the money that can be made from donating plasma but I do know he was telling the truth on how cheap apartments are since I looked it up on Craigslist. That might be worth a shot, you should be able to get enough to at least rent a room from someone I am guessing. As for the sensory issues, a good pair of headphones and a book can help with that to at least make it somewhat tolerable.

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2014, 5:27 pm

Thanks for the support, friends. A good situation came up today and I acted on it. It'll be a little rough and I will probably lose my internet connection for awhile, but I'll have a roof over my head in a nice quiet place. Ah! :-)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 6:18 pm

I'm curious: what sort of "situation?"

And....congratulations!

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2014, 9:27 am

Somebody I know owns an older house that is empty. It has a new roof and a fireplace, so I will be warm and dry.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

Would you have to get your own wood?

Otherwise....sounds great to me! Is it rent free?

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2014, 8:53 pm

Sans rent. Sans wood, but I'll be needing it to cook.
My first concern is getting my stored belongings from point A to point B without overdoing it yet again.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 1:36 am

congratulations! :D

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AlphaNtu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2014, 4:34 pm

I'm glad you found a place. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 5:44 pm

Glad to hear your situation has sort of worked itself out.

When I was virtually homeless, I was able to move to a friend's place that was under massive renovations and live there for a year and a half trading my labour helping w/ the renos for a roof over my head. It worked out OK for me. I was very fortunate to have a friend able to offer that to me. If you (or anyone else reading this in a similar situation) are able to do ANYTHING of value around someone's home, farm, property, business etc where they might be able to put a roof over your head then consider negotiating some sort of trade of a place to stay for your labour if they're unable to offer you a job that pays money. I've never tried to find a random stranger able to accommodate this, but I'd imagine there might just be someone out there willing to take on a boarder in exchange for getting something done around their place. I bet there are elderly people out there with a spare room who could use some help around their home & property who don't have kids, grand kids, or neighbours to help them out who might take someone up on a barter like this.

Otherwise I was going to suggest a shelter. Not the best place to be.. but probably safer than the streets. As for noise, get a pair of foam earplugs.

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 8:37 am

Buttercup wrote:
I am in a very bad situation, & I see this might be a problem for other adult autistics in the future. I am in the disability process for more than just autism...ptsd and a serious neurological problem. I was staying with (abusive) family and suddenly I was told I needed to leave for my own safety. At least THEY saw it coming and warned me early enough to avoid an extremely dangerous family member...this time. I really shouldn't have anything to do with my family. :-(
Sad but true.
So, I had ptsd issues again, & got that taken care of. We tried to find a local place to get a safe roof over my head, but I don't meet the criteria:
I am not a recovering addict.
I am not a recovering alcoholic.
I am not a single mom. I have few real friends.
I did not wait to get hit this time, & so technically not "abused" by local shelter definitions.
The hospital here is like hell for autistics. I mentioned it to the head of staff and she agreed...a separate place is needed for us. Vibration, noise, busy, chaotic, violent people, excessive social daily programs, a bully or two on staff...& that's not all.
My attorney is trying to expedite my case but I am still looking at weeks or months of probable homelessness. I am on lists for public housing/Hud/Sec8.
They say I have the kind of case which slips between the cracks.
Are there options I am not seeing?
Has anybody had luck with independent/assisted living?

Stretch the truth .

You are a recovering alcholic ,you also have a weed and meth addiction . You're part indian,your great grand mother was also a slave . This are are true facts of your life as far as anyone else is aware .

HuD/section 8 will take years ,good luck with that.

If you are on medicare/aid you can always go to a hospital say you want to kill yourself and just keep up the ruse for free housing and meals .